Author Topic: wind chill?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
wind chill?
« on: Jan 02, 2010, 12:38 PM »
it seems to me that when its windy the holes freeze over faster, even if they are banked. does this mean water can freeeze at 33 degrees if theres  a 50 mph wind?  ;D  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D..
 >:D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: wind chill?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:53 PM »
The water doesn't freeze...evaporated water that has condensated into ice crystals have fallen onto it the form the ice.  ;D  :o
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2010, 04:18 AM »
Oh Boy!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:59 AM »
Hmmm... I too am looking to be enlightened.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:36 AM »
Wind chill factor is a concept developed to estimate the way a blowing wind makes the human body feel and equates it to a still air temperature, obviously of some lower value. Wind chill does not change any physical properties of water, so it still needs to hit 32 F to freeze.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline tundraman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:50 AM »
sounds like the old dont park your truck facing into the wind becuase the engine get colder and the next guy says wind doesnt effect inatiment objects it doesnt matter ;D
I say its a hobby, my wife says its a sickness!

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:52 AM »
Wind chill factor is a concept developed to estimate the way a blowing wind makes the human body feel and equates it to a still air temperature, obviously of some lower value. Wind chill does not change any physical properties of water, so it still needs to hit 32 F to freeze.

Very true.... with one MINOR addition. Very high winds WILL lower the temperature of the water FASTER than day that is the same temperature... but little to no winds.... but it can NEVER, as said before, change the physical properties of water freezing temps (only changes in pressure can do that) and it can never lower the temp of the water below the actual mercury temp of the air.........

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:55 AM »
windchill factor  /ˈwɪndˌtʃɪl, ˈwɪn-/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [wind-chil, win-]   

–noun Meteorology. the apparent temperature felt on the exposed human body owing to the combination of temperature and wind speed.

Key words- felt on the human body. Cheeks out!!! 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:55 AM »
How can ice skim water surface at 34 degrees?

>:(

Even ice melts at 31 degrees with the wind blowing at it.  :P
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:25 AM »
the next guy says wind doesnt effect inatiment objects it doesnt matter ;D

The only thing to add to this is.... Wind will cool an inanimate object faster to the ambient (air) temp.  For an inanimate object, windchill has an effect if the object is warm. For example, say that you fill two glasses with the same amount of 100-degree water. You put one glass in your refrigerator, which is at 35 degrees, and one outside, where it is 35 degrees and the wind is blowing at 25 mph (so the windchill makes it feel like 8 degrees). The glass outside will get cold quicker than the glass in the refrigerator because of the wind. However, the glass outside will not get colder than 35 degrees -- the air is 35 degrees whether it is moving or not. That is why the thermometer reads 35 degrees even though it feels like 8 degrees. 

There are many misconceptions on what wind chill is, and what is affected by it.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:46 AM »
OH BOY!
For the "Old Timers"........Trains have defrosters for their windows......I checked when I was working at the Juniata Locomotive Shops... ;D

At least we solved that mystery.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.