The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jiffy augers vs ??????  (Read 7257 times)

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy augers vs ??????
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:13 PM »
I and my neighbor both got Jiffy Legends, 8", w/3hp Tecumseh engines for Xmas in '06. Both have had the same problems. Apparently due to then new EPA regs. Poor or no start, even when warm. Stall out mid hole. Jiffy or Tecumseh were of little help. We both took the advise here on the forum. Synthetic oil at 24-1. Pop off the carb adj caps. Warm it up a couple min before use. They work fairly well now but for the money I'd look at other brands.  Its kind of hard to take when my 35 yr old Tass ALLWAYS starts and instantly bores a 7 inch hole flawlessly at a meager 14 lbs. Until the Tass dies the Jiffy is just a garage queen.

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:37 PM »
I've got one almost 29 and my buddy got one almost 26. Both with a 10 inch eskimo. No what they would come through a 6inch hole

Offline mrrutstrut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:44 AM »
I've got one almost 29 and my buddy got one almost 26. Both with a 10 inch eskimo. No what they would come through a 6inch hole
Well I dont have to worry about that I have never even seen a pike close to 30lb. 20lbs is the biggest and that I can do with no trouble. If I get as good as you guys then I may step up to the 8" but for now the 6" is just fine.

Offline dinosaur454

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Mora 6" hand auger converted with the ICE MASTER ADAPTER to my 1/2 craftsman cordless drill. I love it, no gas, very light to carry, dont ever have to worry about it not starting and with my 4 batteries I can drill more than enough of holes, I usually only use two batteries.  Most people cant believe im drilling ice when they see its with my drill. I know Whipple Hollow Bait and Tackle in Florence carrys the adapter for like $19.99.

I too am running the IceMaster adapter off a 19.2 Craftsman cordless w/ the 1/2 inch chuck. Spinning a Finbore III 6 inch auger. 8) Get some funny looks out on the ice. ??? I carry 4 batts in a small cooler with a large handwarmer in it to keep 'em warm. First time out with it 3 years ago got 14 holes through 16 inches of ice off 1 batt. ;D I've got a StrikeMaster 8 inch gas auger I bought brand new 2 years ago and still haven't had a need to drag it out on the ice. Hasn't even seen gas yet. Someday I'll have to fire it up and use it maybe. ::) ;D
NAFC LIFE MEMBER

Offline mrrutstrut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:52 PM »
I also keep my batteries in a small cooler with two handwarmers and your right I get the strange looks all the time until they see me zip a hole through the ice in seconds.

Offline dinosaur454

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:21 PM »
Yeah you gotta smile when you watch someone struggling to start their gas job and you rip out a couple real quick. ::) I really like the safety bungie on the IceMaster. Couple times my auger came unchucked :o and I could of lost it down the hole had it not been for the bungie. :'( My Bud liked the setup so well I gave him my backup adapter this year for Christmas. He's happier 'n' Hell! ;D
NAFC LIFE MEMBER

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:27 PM »
meanwhile some of us are stuck drilling hole after hole by hand...  :(

Offline ccblu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:32 PM »
Last year I bought an echo tree tapper and converted it to an auger, I put a 6 inch on from a mora and i love it.  I mostly panfish for that size works good.  The eco is no more than 14 pounds when converted.-

Come on BOOT, you know My Nills will smoke that little tree tapper!!!   I have never had a problem with it.   They are expensive but you can't beat the stats as the fastest "Production" auger out there.   But overall I love that it's reliable ALL the time, I put gas in mine for the first time since last year primmed it, pulled it twice and it started!!

Here are some stats:

This is with the 8" bit so take some time off that for the 6" bit, as well as some weight
Fast - Slices through 41" of ice in 12.2 seconds.
Light - Weighs only 22 lbs.
Convertible - Converts to hand auger when needed.
Easier - Less work to drill more holes faster.

But they are expensive:  Around 550.00

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:13 PM »
take the tanaka power head and add a lazer 4 or 5 inch drill....now thats fast...hope to have a good year soon and get tanaka's new (higher rpm) head....we've been using these for years, people are amazed at how fast they really are....and you remove some of the nils price tag building your own....
It's all about Karma.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.