Author Topic: Invisa leader?  (Read 3524 times)

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Invisa leader?
« on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:20 PM »
Hello everyone -

What is "invisa leader" and who makes it?  Are they good for tip up leaders?  If so what pound test would you recommend?  Is it something that most bait shops stock... sorry but I've never heard of this and would like to try it...  Some friends of mine say that it works well in areas where there both pike and walleyes... 

Any help here would be appreciated.

David
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
Re: Invisa leader?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:16 PM »
Never heard of it, probably way over-priced. Line isn't the most important thing when it comes to catching walleye's. I use 6lb, usually fish with my dad who uses 10 or 12 lb. He has caught more and bigger eye's than me so far this winter. It's more important to be on them. You find em you'll catch em.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Never heard of it, probably way over-priced. Line isn't the most important thing when it comes to catching walleye's. I use 6lb, usually fish with my dad who uses 10 or 12 lb. He has caught more and bigger eye's than me so far this winter. It's more important to be on them. You find em you'll catch em.
  Walleyes aren't line shy but if you are having a hard bite I feel the lighter line will help.  Good fishing

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2008, 03:37 PM »
I use whatever flourocarbon is the cheapest.  usually 15# as ive broken some fish off.  I fish 99% catch and release so horsing them to the hole usually helps with a nice easy to remove hookset.  Flouro works well all seasons.

E

Offline Josh B.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:17 PM »
Are there teeth capable of biting through leader?

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:29 PM »
Are there teeth capable of biting through leader?
  A Walleye with 15 lb fluorocarbon I don't think so.  I use Fluor for leader for summer fishing Walleye and use 8#-10 lb and have never lost a Walleye to a bite off, bad ties yes.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Hello everyone -

What is "invisa leader" and who makes it?  Are they good for tip up leaders?  If so what pound test would you recommend?  Is it something that most bait shops stock... sorry but I've never heard of this and would like to try it...  Some friends of mine say that it works well in areas where there both pike and walleyes... 

Any help here would be appreciated.

David
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

They work great !!
They are made by South Bend and you can get them at most Walmart stores , They come in a blue and black package .
They're super thin compared to a normal leader , I would use a 20 pound . Other than that you use them like any other leader .
They do kink easier but they preform great .

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 08:38 AM »
I use the 12# eight inch all the time, for everything, because you never know when a big pike will whack the lure.

They don't cut down on my catch at all, even using tiny jigs for whitefish.  Caught these guys on a 1 1/2" grub.

Ted

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 05:55 PM »
Thin steel beats thick fluro in my book for pike. The walleyes I deal with on Mille Lacs can be pretty line shy though. If pike are not a regular catch in the area and you are targeting walleyes, stick with 4-6lb mono or fluro of your choice. I've never had a walleye bite plastic line off, but I've had plenty turn their nose up at course gear. It's tricky to know what to do when they are feeding in the same areas.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.