The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Updates?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
Updates?
« on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:17 PM »
K guys it getting close to the end of the line.Is there gonna be any safe ice up north this weekend?Thompson,Waubay,whitewood?Any others?wanna wet a line sunday...thanks guys!!!

stump

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Updates?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2005, 06:18 PM »
I was at Waubay not this past weekend but the weekend prior when it was like 60 degrees out.  The ice was still at 2'-3' depending on where I was...  as far as driveable ice on Waubay I'm not sure - very possibly could still be good - however it will definitely be safe for walking and 4wheeler I would imagine....

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2005, 10:06 PM »
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY!!!Im not ready to put my gear away just yet.maybee head up sunday.think it will still be fishable?any pointers ast owere to go?never been to waubay before.how was it ?any good?thanks

stump

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2005, 09:04 AM »
Hey stump,

I hear ya on the gear thing - I wish I could get up there this weekend but it's not going to happen for me unfortunately and not sure if I'll make it up until ice is out, so good luck to you!!!  ;D

Waubay will definately be fishable this weekend and most likely several more, at least definitly for foot traffic.  I heard this morning that the area ponds and sloughs are still frozen up and the edges are still iced up good even, so I would presume the ice conditions haven't changed much the last few weeks.  I would be willing to bet people are still driving on Waubay - so I wouldn't worry bout it too much.  Two weekends ago when I was up there it was still 2'-3' thick, depending on where i was.  When ya get up there Sunday, if ya see people out driving - I'd be willing to bet it's safe.  If nothing else ya might just have to walk out - but I'd be willing to bet you can drive...just be smart about it - maybe even walk out and plug a few holes and check ice thickness.  If the ice is good just stay away from heaves and you'll be fine.

As far as where to go.... I've had decent luck in front of the mouth of cadillac bay (north end of the lake near Buckshot) towards evening hours and off of that point where all the mansion houses are being built.  The last time I was up we fished towards evening on the northeast corner, right near buckshot in front of the primitive camping area with the trailers in about 14-16' of water and did quite well with the walleyes.  I never ice fished in that specific area before - but it was worth it - so I would give that a shot.  The bite doesn't start till bout 4-5pm though and it went well till about 8pm when it started slowing down.  We were using glow jigs (genz's, fatboys, etc..) tipped with minnows (both small and large) and also had two on my tipups... If you want to get the fish in the morning, best bite is before sunrise and the first hour afterwards.  I didn't get a lot of perch this winter, however I didn't make too many trips either and the trips I made I didn't move alot either - which could've been a bit of my problem...

The grenville bait and tackle store is always pretty helpful on providing a few pointers as well as where to go, so you might want to stop there too and ask!  Good luck to you and be sure to post how ya did when ya get back!!!

-WF.

* One more thing - the aberdeen area is supposed to get a good amount of snow starting tomorrow - 6-8" I was told (haven't checked weather yet myself) - so there might be a good amount of snow cover on the lake by the time you get up there.  If that's the case - I would definately walk out and check ice thickness before driving if there isnt anyone out yet by the time you get there...)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2005, 06:28 PM »
Plans might change a little if the snow comes.but we will see.Im pretty open during the week yet so thats still a possibilty.thanks for the info.probably take the 4 wheeler so travel shouldnt be a problem.I will let yah know how it goes.thanks again.

stump

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2005, 07:25 PM »
U betcha!!!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2005, 08:12 AM »
CLose to getting over my broncietis,any ice out there yet?please say yes.lol

stump

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:10 AM »
I'm not even sure!  Between being pathetically busy with school and the gf - I haven't even remotely had time to go out :(

http://www.sdglaciallakes.com has a fishing report link that usually provides good info for ice conditions, at least they consistently have been this winter anyways.... and sorry to hear about your bronchitis - that could not possibly have been fun to have :( - good to hear you're about over it though!  ;D

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2005, 04:01 PM »
Called up one of the shops,said there is still 20 inces with some idiots still driveing.trying to get my buddy talked into going.

stump

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2005, 04:23 PM »
20 inches eh.  I heard the culverts around grenville are open for casting... someone pulled a 43" northern outta there the other day i guess...

I wonder how ice conditions are up north on the glacial lakes?  20" is good... but I gotta start to wonder if it isn't deteriorating fairly fast?

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2005, 04:28 PM »
Yah ,this was waubay he said.Im unfamiliar with that area so hope he isnt blowing smoke.

stump

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2005, 04:34 PM »
im sure it's still 20"... i just didn't know how reliable of a 20"....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.