Author Topic: pike recipes?  (Read 979 times)

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
pike recipes?
« on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:13 AM »
never tried pike before and plan on cooking up a fresh catch here soon... my question is what is everyones favorite pike recipes and what size pike would you say make for the best eatin? thanks in advance
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: pike recipes?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:02 AM »
I like pike cooked a variety of ways, but the secret to good eating pike is to remove the y-bones.  One of my favorite ways to cook/eat pike is mix 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 gallon of water.  Cut the fillets into pieces about the size of your pinky finger.  Get the water to a good rolling boil then drop in a handful fish pieces and boil for 3 minutes.  Remove the pieces and let them drain off, then squeeze lemon juice on them and dip in melted butter.  Call that poor mans lobster.
I also like to wrap the fillets in foil w/ lemon, garlic, salt & pepper, a couple pats of butter, 1 or 2 onion slices, and some parsley flakes.  Then either bake them in a 350 degree oven or place on the grill set on medium heat.  Cook about 10 minutes, the foil should be all puffed up, let it settle back down before you open it, so that it keeps all the steam and moisture in. 
I think the best eating pike are 30" and 14".  Smaller then 14" and it's tough to get the y-bones out, and bigger then 30" and they can start getting kind of tough.
Just my $.02.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: pike recipes?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2009, 12:51 PM »
I think they are great dipped in an eggwash, then into some shorelunch breading and fried. And yes, he is right about the "Y" bones.... here's a video that's posted several places on cleaning pike.... awesome....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcWyGrV0qao&feature=related

Good luck!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.