Author Topic: metal studs  (Read 6462 times)

Offline acer7

• IceShanty Rookie
metal studs
« on: Jan 30, 2008, 01:52 PM »
I am planning to build an 8 by 10 shack for next season and I am considering using metal studs to help keep down the weight. I am concerned about the strength of metals studs. Has anyone else used them. I am looking for any pointers and advice on using metal studs.  :-\

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
Re: metal studs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:52 PM »
i have a bunch of metal studs laying around and was planning on using them to build a shack but was worried about how they will hold up in the wind.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:04 PM »
I have often wondered about using them too...planing to build a shack for next year and thought they would keep the weight down. I'm no carpenter but thought of using metal on the outside and gluing Styrofoam inside(except behind stove). would these studs work if you braced them with wood outside(strapping to fasten metal to)? I welcome any comments.

Offline bitzlecocker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:07 PM »
Metal studs have great strength, especially on a 8X10 structure, as long as you are tooled up for working in metal.

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:49 PM »
metal studs are easier to work with than wood.  Use tin snips to cut to length, screw to top and bottom track with  " s-12" self tapping pan head screws. Square up the wall unit by measuring corner to corner, or 3-4-5, then install wind bracing to hold the wall from racking.  Six inch metal backing would be a good wind brace.
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline iroc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Cider Shack"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Made of all metal studs, lighter than wood and very rigid.

Offline acer7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:59 AM »
Looks strong and light. Thanks for the tips.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:41 PM »
Thanks for your comments guys.....Iroc-that looks exactly like what I had in mind. What size is it? I was going to make mine approx. 5x8.
Thanks again guys and welcome any other posts(even though I didn't start this thread, it is an excellent one, Acer7.)
Tombo

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:53 PM »
metal studs are the way to go most important thing is runners
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Offline mgrant11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:25 PM »
My guess is that metal studs are pretty strong, I am an electrician and i know in a lot of the commercial work that's all they use now for interior walls, so i'm sure if they use them in an office they would be more than strong enough for an ice shack. I was also looking to build a shack from metal studs but I heard they are pretty pricey, anybody know about how much they cost?

Offline mgrant11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:31 PM »
i also know of a really nice shack i helped build about 3 years ago at my old high school in my tech ed class, it was for my teacher and he built it out of all metal studs, actually there were two shacks, they were each 8 x 10 and on each of them they had a wall that was hinged and bolted on so you could either combine the two shacks and make them a 16 x 10 or you could keep them separated, it was a really awesome idea but i'm guessing he had some money tied up in them, if anybody is interested I can see if I can get the plans to them.

Offline iroc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Cider Shack"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Thanks for your comments guys.....Iroc-that looks exactly like what I had in mind. What size is it? I was going to make mine approx. 5x8.
Thanks again guys and welcome any other posts(even though I didn't start this thread, it is an excellent one, Acer7.)
Tombo

Shack is 6' X 9'

Offline johnnyrottendadto4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2008, 04:18 PM »
I was told that metal studs will condense the moisture into your wall panels ???
Ive heard the same thing, but i was able to get enough metal studs from the carpenter foreman on the last job i was on for nothing, to build a 8x8 shack. Last summer i picked up a free pop up camper, so now i have a base and the framework. As far as the condensation i was thinking of spraying the studs with some undercoating from the car parts store , hopefully that will take care of it, if not well it looks like ill have some stained interior walls or ill have to redo the interior in a couple of years.

John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.