New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: circle hooks?  (Read 4330 times)

Offline toothycritter00

• Team IceShanty Regular
circle hooks?
« on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:21 PM »
Has anyone tried circle hooks for icefishing? I was thinking of rigging some up this year with steel leads for the pike. Bad or good idea what do you think?

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: circle hooks?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:28 PM »
ive seen pics with circle hook for pike rigs bc it hold the bait well. it was in an infisherman mag
sometime you just have to think like a fish.

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:32 PM »
I started using circle hooks for perch last year....a higher percentage of hook-ups with them for sure and never swallowed the hook.  Hardest part is not setting the hook.  I also caught numerous pickeral and 3 northerns (biggest went almost 8 pounds) on my perch rigs with 4 pound leaders and circle hooks....only got bit off once.

Offline Jack Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:50 PM »
Funny you should ask...I just picked some up at Gander today.  I've had good luck with circle hooks fishing for trout.  When you put a bit of tension on the line during a run the hook goes right to the corner of the mouth and the fish all but sets the hook itself.  In short, I like 'em.

JH

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:32 PM »
I used a few on my tip ups last year and they do tend to shallow them alot less . I like them alot ;D
Sax

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:53 PM »
I tried them last year and loved them...I had a higher percent of fish caught with them, and they were all lip hooked. Now they are the only hooks I'm putting on my tip-ups. IceGeek is right though it is hard to remember not to set the hook. I think they are a great choice  :thumbsup:
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline susquayugafisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2005, 01:00 AM »
I've been using them in Cayuga for trout for a few years now, and even a "sneaky" landlocked salmon can't get away! I've had only one fish EVER swallow a circle hook, and , believe it or not, it was a 6" bluegill.....Of, course, it was off my dock, while fishing with the kids, and the 'gills were swarming after anything that moved.  Catfishing on the Susquehanna River, they're a godsend. You don't have to worry about setting the hook when Mr. Whiskers decides to swim away with your bait!! My 12 yr old daughter only missed a few because she tried to set the hook. After all these years of fishing, it's hard not to instinctively set the hook, but it hooks itself into the corner of the mouth every time!

Andy

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2005, 07:44 AM »
They work great when you can't focus all your attention to the bait. Kind of like "set it and forget it"
I first started using them in the Florida Keys for Tarpon and Permit. I had the hardest time remembering not to set the hook. I had made some tip-downs last year, and they increased my hook ups by 500%. all you have to do is lift slowly and Mr. fishy is hooked in the corner of the mouth.

Offline IceKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release an a pan full of grease!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:00 AM »
when you say you don't have to set the hook, what do you do. Say for instance I were to replace my treble hooks on my tip-ups for tiger muskies. I get a flag using a circle hook, now what? if the line is screaming out, what is the next move?
Its Ice Now!

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2005, 09:06 AM »
All you have to do is slightly increase the tension on the line until you feel the weight of the fish and start pulling him in. The hooks are designed to catch the fish in the corner of the mouth when the tension is put on the fish. The best way to get the feel of it is to use them. Once you understand the proper tension and land the fish, you will see where the hook placement is in the fishes mouth.
Another way to understand this is to tie a circle hook on to a couple feet of line, and put the hook in your hand making a fist with a small hole where your index finger and thumb meet. If you pull straight up fast like setting the hook, the hook will not catch on your fingers. Then try pulling the hook out of your hand slowly sideways and you will see that the hook will catch your finger. Hope this helps. This is the example one of my guide friends used to explain it to me when fishing for Tarpon.

Offline toothycritter00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2005, 04:57 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I rigged up a few today and I'm anxious to give um a try.
One question. When a fish is running should you let them go until they stop and apply pressure  or just stop it mid run and let the fish swim into the hook set?

thanks
toothy

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2005, 06:08 PM »
Gently apply gradually increasing pressure to the fish as it's running and it will set itself.....

Seabass06

« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2005, 06:17 PM »
  Toothy you sneaky sun of a gun you, everytime i turn around your trying something new.  I find it hard to believe your gonna give up your good ol' #2 gaff/treble hooks!!  Circle hooks sound like a good idea though.  They will surely help with our catch and release.  Hhhmmm... catch and release... i wound if AyYah has an opinion about that?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline toothycritter00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2005, 06:25 PM »
thanks geek..as for you seabass none of that CR fight crap here we are having a civilized conversation about tactics.

Offline johnnylimit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2005, 07:39 PM »
I think this is the first post I have ever seen where everyone is in agreement. I hope that if people start buying circles more store will start stocking them and those that have them now will get a bigger selection. It can be a little tough to find them!

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:17 PM »
They are hard to find...I am hoping someone will make a light wire circle hook that will accomodate smaller perch minnows a bit better......

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:20 AM »
What about these... the size 6 should work. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166&id=0030879115067a&navCount=6&podId=0030879&parentId=cat20291&navAction=push&catalogCode=IF&rid=&parentType=index&index
I've also used eagle claw light wire circle hooks which I have got at dick's... a couple of years ago I found them with 2X short shanks and they worked great for perch.
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline jiggingshad11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:58 AM »
I used them last year size 6 and 8's for perch,bluegils,crappie and walleye(hard &soft water. I thought they worked well. the slower you turn the handle or the slower you pull the line the better.  You will get a mushy feeling then the solid hookset.  I got the hooks at Wal-mart.

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:32 PM »
I agree with all responders, I have used circle hooks for over 10 years, I use them for all types of live bait fishing. I also use fireline for the toothy critters, it will not cut like mono and I seem to get more hook-ups than with steel leaders. I have used circle hooks on my tip-downs (perch) for over five years. I get all mine through Cabela's.

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:33 PM »
Actually RetiredECO it was your post a few years back which convinced me to give them a try...I'm really glad I followed your advice!

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:05 PM »
Retired ECO
What size do you recommend for the circle hooks, I was in Gander Mt. in
Johnson City today and they had Gamakatsu size 8,(the smallest they had),
are these good enough for perch or should I go smaller?

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:15 PM »
OK - someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.  I was under the impression that with circle hooks, you had to always ensure that you keep pressure on the line, or else the hook would fall out.  While this isn't a problem with a jigging rod, wouldn't it be tough on a hand-line (tip-up)?  I could very well be thinking of something else, but with this post's reaction, I may give them a try this season regardless.  Oh, well, another trip to Gander...

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:54 PM »
Dr. Icegeek,
What size circle hooks do you use? I am going
to give them a try this year.

Pete

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:39 PM »
OK - someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.  I was under the impression that with circle hooks, you had to always ensure that you keep pressure on the line, or else the hook would fall out.  While this isn't a problem with a jigging rod, wouldn't it be tough on a hand-line (tip-up)?  I could very well be thinking of something else, but with this post's reaction, I may give them a try this season regardless.  Oh, well, another trip to Gander...

If I am correct it is more the otherway around, that with a regular hook if the line goes slack you have a better chance of loosing the fish,  with a circle hook, the shape of the hook helps in staying secure when the line goes slack.     I know I was reading up on setline fishing for catfish this summer, and most people use circle hooks, because the lines go unatended for 24 hours sometimes and they want the fish to stay on.     
      I'm very interested in trying circle hooks this year on my tip-ups.    I will have to tie a few up onto some leader material for the toothies.    If they could help my hook-up ratio Id be pleased as some days you only get a few flags adn it stinks to miss them.      A question though, I know Ive used them in AK for halibut adn other deepwater fish, and people seem to use  them for a lot of different types of fish but is there any that you should not use circle hooks for?     
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline toothycritter00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:16 PM »
I set some circle hooks up with steel and I don't think they will work. They don't seem to hook the skin when I pulled them through my fist. The steel restricts the movement of the hook and doesn't let it turn. I'm still going to give it a try though.

Offline 9fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You try tying a knot with 9Fingers!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2005, 08:08 AM »
Several years ago I started using circle hooks after reading a article on them. I have caught everything from Panfish,Trout and even Muskie on them. While ice fishing you simply take the fish on the run by picking up your line and applying easy consistant pressure. You do not set the hook, the hook sets by itself. Since switching to circle hooks I have had far more hook ups. I use a # 6 for pretty much everything. Since the hook generally sets in the corner of the fishes mouth I find no reason to use wire. I use 12 # test mono leaders about 10' long that have ball bearing swivels attaching it to my tip up line. One swivel on the tip up line, one on the mono leader. You can rig up additional leaders with other size hooks to adjust for different species however as I stated I usually use # 6 for everything. Pike, Walleye and Muskie can't get their teeth on the line due to the hook normally being in the corner of the mouth. I have occasionally seen them hooked in the roof of the mouth from trying to swallow the bait whole. For the most part I would say when you get a flag, you get a fish. It's rare to lose one using these hooks. There is no "spitting" the hook. I'll never go back to treble or conventional hooks. I also think you get better bait presentation by not using wire leaders. Once you get used to not "jerk" setting the hook it's a breeze. Try them I think you will be impressed. I usually get mine at Dick's but they can be had many places as well as on line.
"The problem with the rest of the world is..their a few drinks behind" Humphrey Bogart

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.