Author Topic: High Point 2/14/09  (Read 631 times)

Offline martalus

• IceShanty Rookie
High Point 2/14/09
« on: Feb 15, 2009, 08:15 AM »
My brother and I made the long trip up to High Point yesterday for some 'sight seeing' and fishing.  It was 30 degrees and windy at the monument at about 1 PM but it was much less windy at Lake Stenykill just below the monement.  We tested the ice and it looks like there was some damage from the warm windy rainy weather.  Most of it was smooth and solid and very slippery with thickness between 6-9 inches.  There was some honey combed places which we avoided as well as what appear to be small  spring holes with ice in those spots like an ince thick.  We set up our tip ups in 8-15 feet of water and a had a flag before we were finished setting up.  My brother brought in an ax handle (pickerel about 14 inches)  As soon as I started jigging I got strikes but only landed a tiny perch.  Thinking it might be a good afternnoon bite, we were dissapointed not to get any other fish.  I must have drilled over 20 holes for jigging to no avail.  Got one flag at dusk but no fish.  We were the only people there and there were no signs of any one ice fishing in recent weeks.  It was a pretty and quiet spot, but not very productive as many here had predicted!  It was pleasant to be out and we stopped at the Elias Cole place for a hearty supper and cherry pie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.