Author Topic: Small pike  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Small pike
« on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:35 PM »
I usually fish in 7-15 ft of water and have been catching 1.5 to 2 lb pike, to small. I know from summer fishing there is a lot bigger fish out there. So what to do, go deeper or shallower, or why only hammer handles biting?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Small pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:44 PM »
 that's the depth i like to fish big pike but if they ain't there in your lake try deeper, or shallower.  what is the main forage and where would they be?  if you get tired of the hammer handles i'd fish tip ups with large +12" baits.  also it is getting to the slower time of the season things will pick up come march.  good luck!

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2016, 04:47 PM »
big bait generally equals big fish. I never use small bait for pike and generally average between 5-7lb fish with many in the 15-20+ range (prior to going to tobin).  I fish with guys who do use smaller baits and they do generally catch smaller fish.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline CHRIS4WALLEYE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:33 PM »
Yup big hooks and big bait for large pike. Usually you see pile with whole perch in there stomach haha maybe even the odd duck.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Went out on the weekend and used large 12+inch bait, caught a 12 and 18 lb pike! Nice

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:18 PM »
Ive been getting decent pike 10-16#ers. Double digit numbers in the last 2 weeks all the biggest pike  have come out of 5-7 feet of water, but got them out in up to 10 feet. The type of bait you use will matter in quality of fish and amount of flags!! Imo

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:24 PM »
I agree with the big bait bigger fish part but I have better hookups with super sharp #4 trebles on my quick strike rigs. No need to go any bigger. Here is an interesting article by Gord Pyzor for anyone interested in chasing big pike.
http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/trophy-pike-quick-strike-rigs-and-so-much-more
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline BigO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:47 PM »
I agree. Large bait, larger pike.  Large Herring or even better Baby Milkfish and Kave Pike Lures bring in the hogs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.