Author Topic: Batteries on airplanes?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Icefishingute

• IceShanty Rookie
Batteries on airplanes?
« on: Dec 09, 2019, 11:45 PM »
My son and I will be flying to fish a tournament. I have looked through the airline regs and online forums and still not 100% sure what is allowed. We will have (2) 5 AH 18v Milwaukee fuel drill batteries and (2) 12v Lithium Ion 10AH fish finder batteries. I think, if I pack them in my carry on and cover the terminals with electrical tape, I should be good. Can any of you who have traveled confirm this. I would hate to loose $500 worth of batteries and worse, not be able to punch a hole or have a ff at the tournament. Thanks

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Batteries on airplanes?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2019, 12:47 AM »
My son and I will be flying to fish a tournament. I have looked through the airline regs and online forums and still not 100% sure what is allowed. We will have (2) 5 AH 18v Milwaukee fuel drill batteries and (2) 12v Lithium Ion 10AH fish finder batteries. I think, if I pack them in my carry on and cover the terminals with electrical tape, I should be good. Can any of you who have traveled confirm this. I would hate to loose $500 worth of batteries and worse, not be able to punch a hole or have a ff at the tournament. Thanks
I found the following on the FAA web site.

"Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.
Quantity limits: None for most batteries – but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery)."

Volts times amps equals watts. I traveled with 2, 18v, 5ah lithium batteries and didn't have a problem. Those equaled 90 watts each. I didn't try taking my 12v, 10ah lithium battery but that would amount to 120 watts so it might be possible with airline approval as stated above. You should call whatever airline you are using and ask them about your 12v lithium batteries.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2019, 06:20 AM »
I know when i had to ship my lithium battery back to dakota i had to put a special sticker on the box and asked the post office what that was about and said lithium batteries were not allowed to be shipped by plane.ground only.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:37 AM »
I brought my flasher and lithium batteries as a carry-on.  I asked TSA first, and this was their response:

“Thanks for your question. Fishing sonars are allowed in carry-on bags. Spare lithium batteries must be packed in carry-on bags as well. Safe travels!”

Worked for me!  Just make sure you check into the watt limit of the batteries. I don’t remember what it was.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:47 AM »
True story:

I was goose hunting in North Dakota. My buddy and I were flying back to Minneapolis from Bismark so we sent the cleaned geese home in coolers with a friend who had driven his truck.

On the way to the airport that morning there was a huge flock of geese that we were able to get the sneak on. We shot about 15.  When we got to the airport we consolidated duffels of gear and  stuffed 15 geese into a large duffel "as is" and checked them in as "luggage."

No questions were asked and we cleaned them when we arrived home a couple hours later. Probably only allowed in North Dakota.  ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:50 AM »
True story:

I was goose hunting in North Dakota. My buddy and I were flying back to Minneapolis from Bismark so we sent the cleaned geese home in coolers with a friend who had driven his truck.

On the way to the airport that morning there was a huge flock of geese that we were able to get the sneak on. We shot about 15.  When we got to the airport we consolidated duffels of gear and  stuffed 15 geese into a large duffel "as is" and checked them in as "luggage."

No questions were asked and we cleaned them when we arrived home a couple hours later. Probably only allowed in North Dakota.  ;D
I imagine TSA got a surprise on the X-ray Machine!. ;D. I guess there’s prolly no rules against bringing meat home from a hunt.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2019, 08:12 AM »
True story:

Love it GF! We were out in Washington a few years ago. Gorged on seafood every day. Of course my eyes were bigger than my appetite and I had almost 3 dozen fresh oysters left the night before we were going home. In the morning I bagged 'em securely, iced 'em (also securely bagged) and put 'em in my carry on. Figured if they took 'em away at least I tried.

Predictably I was motioned to the side at the security checkpoint. The TSA agent was gingerly unzipping the bag and I said, "Oysters, fresh oysters." "Excuse me?" she said. I repeated myself. "Ohhhh!" She proceeded with vigor, verified the mystery, while laughing, and said to enjoy them when I got home.  :clap:

We better not ever get together GF, it could get silly  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2019, 08:19 AM »
3 dozen oysters sounds like a great Christmas feed...sigh. :-\

No oysters in Minnesota, but on the bright side of things, we have Lake Trout!

I am feeling better now.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2019, 12:47 PM »
From Milwaukee Electric's Lithium Battery SDS........

INTERNATIONAL DANGEROUS GOODS REGULATIONS  (RE: AIR, SEA, GROUND TRANSPORT)    Proper Shipping Description:    UN3480 Lithium‐ion batteries; UN3481 Lithium‐ion batteries packed with or contained in equipment; Class 9. Milwaukee Lithium‐ion batteries are to be shipped in compliance with relevant requirements of the following DG Regulations: ICAO Technical Instructions or IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (59th Edition):  Packing Instructions 965; 966; 967 (Section I, or Section II, as applicable). IMDG Code:  Packing Instruction P903, or Special Provision 188, as applicable. UN Model Regulations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods:  Packing Instruction P903, or Special Provision 188, as applicable. UN European Agreements (ADR/RID/ADN):  Packing Instruction P903, or Special Provision 188, as applicable. Australian Dangerous Goods (ADG):  Packing Instruction P903, or Special Provision 188, as applicable.  IMPORTANT:  The proper classification, packaging, labeling, marking, and documentation requirements for shipping Lithium‐ion batteries is dependent upon whether the particular batteries are:a.)Rated at 100 Watt‐hours (Wh) or less; or b.)Rated at greater than 100Wh.   

Generally, Lithium‐ion batteries rated 100Wh or less are “excepted” from certain Class 9 DG requirements.  Always check compliance of Lithium‐ion battery consignments against the current regulations governing the chosen mode of transport. When in doubt, contact the carrier or other trained Dangerous Goods professional to confirm acceptability.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2019, 01:18 PM »
True story:

Would have been really funny if one or more of the geese were only stunned, and "came too" when in flight....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Icefishingute

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:22 PM »
Just a follow up on our airline trip to the Tightline Ice addiction tournament in Colorado that we flew to. I was able to get through security just fine at the airport. I carried both my lithium 10ah ff battery and Milwaukee 5ah onto the plane. My son had the same. No questions asked. They never even had us open our bags, either coming or going. I did wrap electrical tape over the terminals, but they didn’t even check. The tournament was a success as well with a 16th place finish netting a nice pair of Vortex binoculars.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.