Author Topic: couple nice gills  (Read 6233 times)

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
Re: couple nice gills
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:38 PM »
 Any advantage to using a fly reel on your jig pole?  I have never seen that before.

Next to zero memory even with light mono and no line twist which causes lure spin.  Also the fit and feel in hand is something to be desired.  It does take a bit to get used to 'playing' a nice fish but is actually really fun once mastered.  They also store real nice in rod case...no handle that needs folded every time when put away.
]

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:41 PM »
I Love to catch Bluegills through the ice.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2011, 07:49 PM »
my thorne bros  24" power noodle with okuma slv 2/3 reel...and a 10"er
]

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2011, 10:44 AM »
all nice gils love a big gil love catching its fun when a gil twist up a small rod

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2011, 04:59 PM »
my thorne bros  24" power noodle with okuma slv 2/3 reel...and a 10"er

Too cool Ryno-- love the fly reel/Power Noodle rig-- recoil guides no less!  :thumbsup:
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline evaxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • vermont jumbo.
« Reply #35 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:56 PM »
look delicious.  ;)
Girls fish too.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:32 AM »
ryno,I see that before I die I will have to make a trip to Nebraska and catch one of these monsters. I fish hard water every week end and probably have 2 meals of gills. Just enough to get a good taste. Yet I see many guys keep everything that bites. I know that is OK as long as they don't go over there limit. I myself have not took a limit home in over 25 years,not that I could not,that I didn't want to.My son was 8 years old and while he was icefishing he had seen a guy catch small gill,and through it on the ice,and complain that it was to small. My son picked up the gill and put it back down the hole,and told the fella,it won't get any bigger on top of the ice. That is how I teach my sons what it is all about. I can't believe that there are so many greedy people out there. I could tell you stories that would make a conservationest mad as hell. I just hope that there are people that fish to have fun.    Jerry

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:53 PM »
jerry, with any luck that we wont experience another drought in the next few years and some conservation of fellow anglers we will have many lakes with very nice gill populations for the next several years.  our shallow feritle lakes are back (for the time being), i had a 9 1/2" aged and to my surprise it was only 4 1/2 yrs old.  these are quality gills with shoulders.  there are some large year classes from 07 and 08 that will deffinetly make for trophies. also keep in mind that along with big gills we have some perch that are pushing a pound n half as well as bass and pike that will give ya a ride. 
the main reason we have pike in these lakes is to control the carp population.  the carp suck up alot gill and perch eggs as well as really hender the growth of vegetation...which is key to growing the big gills with the bugs and cover weeds provide.
]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.