Author Topic: Pike Jaw Spreaders  (Read 8658 times)

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
Pike Jaw Spreaders
« on: Dec 15, 2005, 08:49 AM »
I've seen on some pictures a device used to hold open the jaws of pike to get the hook out.  What are they and does anyone know where I can get one?  I'm new to pike fishing and those look like they make the job much easier.

Offline SPLiNE

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Pike Jaw Spreaders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2005, 09:00 AM »
I have seen them at Gander Mountain.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2005, 09:04 AM »
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline jimfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Set The HOOK!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2005, 09:11 AM »
The jaw spreaders are a must, I also keep a set of 12" needle nose pliers with me. When you catch a big one you don't want one hook in your hand and the trailer in the fish.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2005, 09:16 AM »
I'll second that. I prefer to have use of my fingers for awhile yet.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2005, 09:58 AM »
Just make sure you get them out of the fish's mouth before throwing it back! :)

We fish for pike in Canada during summer months and I have personally thrown back at least three pike with the spreaders in the mouth.  It's just kinda happens.  You're holding the pike, spreaders in its mouth, you use the pliers to get the hook out and as soon as you do you throw the fish over board. :-[  My dad and I have done that at least once a year for the past ten years.  We started carrying extras figuring we would lose some.

Can't imagine its good for the fish.
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2005, 10:59 AM »
Those are what I'm looking for, thanks.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2005, 02:29 AM »
Chillywillie,
If you are fishing an area that holds large pike you might want to pick up two pairs.  One large pair for those monsters and one smaller pair for small pike.  I only had the small pair at the beginning of last season and the bigger pike would bite them closed.  The larger spreaders are too much for those little pike.  I strongly suggest two pairs. 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2005, 01:31 PM »
I really don't like using them.  If a big pike is hooked too deep, I just cut the line.  I think they place too much stress on the fish's mouth, and I'm afraid I'll break something.  Anyone else think this way, or am I just paranoid?

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2005, 05:58 PM »
Like I said above I use two sizes.  You use the set that matches the pikes size.

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It must be that time again!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:24 PM »
I really don't like using them.  If a big pike is hooked too deep, I just cut the line.  I think they place too much stress on the fish's mouth, and I'm afraid I'll break something.  Anyone else think this way, or am I just paranoid?
In-fisherman had an article a few months back about how unlikely it is for a fish to survive with a hook in it's gullet.  Can't remember what month but it was an interesting article.

Northerns are the toughest damm fish out there.  I think they can take the stress of the jaw spreaders.  Probably just piss 'em off even more than they were when they hit your bait!

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It must be that time again!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:28 PM »
The jaw spreaders are a must, I also keep a set of 12" needle nose pliers with me. When you catch a big one you don't want one hook in your hand and the trailer in the fish.

I picked up a LARGE pair of hemostats (about 12") in the bargin bin at an Ace Hardware.  They are really great, because once I get them on the hook, I can lock it and get some decent leverage.  Think I paid a couple bucks for them.  Every time another fisherman see them, they want a pair.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2005, 04:08 PM »
My dad has a set of those, and they work great!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2005, 03:13 PM »
Big long needle nose pliers and a pair of jaw spreaders. I dont think you need to worry too bad about hurting a pikes mouth as long as you dont break or dislodge anything. My personal finding is the smaller spreaders are actually better for the bigger fish. I have a small pair and a big pair and the bigger, longer pair are easier to close than the smaller, stouter pair.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2006, 07:25 PM »
I've seen on some pictures a device used to hold open the jaws of pike to get the hook out.  What are they and does anyone know where I can get one?  I'm new to pike fishing and those look like they make the job much easier.
chillywillie,...like the name. I got my jaw spreaders at Dicks sporting goods. $3.00. well worth it. i keep them clip them to o-ring on my pliers. always available that way. good luck.
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:38 PM »
I bring 2 12" pliers and 2 spreaders
on deeper hooked fish I
grab the leader by the hook eye and spin the hook
with one pair then grab the bend and give it a quick pop
with the other. comes right out :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline Deeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:05 PM »
 Scansy "can't imagine it's good for the fish".....ah gee,ya think?
  Imagine swiming around with your mouth wide open, and slowly starving to death? Man,almost hard to believe that someone would do THAT same mistake more than once!
 But yes, I've saved many a cut up finger trying to retrieve a hook using the good ole jaw spreader,I tie a 6" peice of blaze-orange trail tape to mine out on the ice, much less chance of losing it in the snow.

Offline Golden Luther

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trophy Fish and Me Don't Get Along
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2006, 06:52 PM »
Definite;y get some.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2006, 01:56 PM »
I have two sizes of jaw spreaders and a pair of long hook-outs tied together with about 2 feet of cord.  I like the hook-outs better than pliers because they are lighter and easier to use with gloves on.  If I'm using live bait on my tip-ups I set the spreaders/hook-out right on the bait bucket near where I'm sitting.  In most cases I can grab the bucket as I run to the tip-up.  Then I have everything I need to to release the fish quickly and re-rig after the catching is done.

If I'm usind dead bait, the cord goes around my neck and the smelt go in my pocket.  Again, always ready to release and re-rig.

Also, there are two styles of spreaders out there.  Make sure you get the kind with the 90 degree angles on the business ends, so the prongs stick out and hold the fish.  There is one brand out there (can't remember which) that has the ends folded over on themselves.  A heavier fish will slip right off of this style and back into the water before the pic is taken >:(
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.