Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227969 times)

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #270 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:20 AM »
Guys,
I measured ice on loughborough yesterday (Monday) - it averaged 6" of 'black ice" - there is up to 4-5" of recently half-frozen slush as well. It can be unnerving in some places as you'll drill through this soft stuff and auger drops 4 or 5 inches just to hit solid ice. Some large areas still have a lot of slush.  One area of caution - I only hit very soft ice on the north side about 1.5km from the parking - it is somewhat past the bunch of cottages on the peninsula before higher elevation of land. This is a deep section 130-140 ft but ice was 'spooky' and I backed off.
Hope this helps.

Offline Laker2011

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Look for the Frabill shelter
« Reply #271 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Hey all,

Bass_Belt and I went out to hogans bay for a couple of hours before sunset.  Pretty good action we landed 1 pike about 3-4 pounds on a tip-up and my brother landed a smaller pike, 5 crappies, and a bleugill.  I had a few hits but didn't ice anything.  :(  Good trip overall.  Any day on the ice is a good day.  Looking forward to a day of fishing at hogans early on Saturday.  Anyone want to join us feel free we'll be the guys in the frabill shelter and the sub-zero shanty.  We'll likely be down the plowed lake road to the right near a permanent hut.

Good luck all!
Stay Safe and Tight Lines.

Offline Lun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #272 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Hey Guys,
I forgot about Ice Shanty for a long time but I'm glad to see it's still going strong.  Does anybody ever fish Bob's Lake?  I usually fish the Depots (mostly 5th), but have always wanted to try Bob's.  The few guys I've talked to who fish it have caught big pike (over 8lbs) and the odd walleye.  Seems odd you don't hear more about it considering the size.  Maybe the size makes it tough to find the fish?
I haven't caught a fish in four trips to 5th Depot this year and am ready to change it up.  I did have some luck on 3rd, but I suspect it will be a little tough to drive in to after this monster snow storm!

Offline 1fishinator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #273 on: Feb 03, 2011, 03:14 PM »
Hey guys....I just found this place recently....seems like and great site with lots of info and some good hardcore members.  I was out at Loughborough last weekend for some lakers....had lots of lookers but no takers. >:(  Planning on heading back again this Saturday...can't wait....not looking forward to the long 2.5hr drive from Courtice...hopefully it will be worth it this time. ;D

Hey Lunkrhuntr,

If your every up for a trip into Paddy's or Clear....I'm game.  Just love those brookies (I'm a newf)....I grew up fishing those tasty fish and it's been many years since I've hooked into one.  I spent some time in Frontenac this past summer for the first time....amazing bass fishing.  Maybe we can hook-up for a brookie trip...I tried calling your # last night but no answer. :unsure:

Cheers

Jason

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #274 on: Feb 03, 2011, 03:22 PM »
Jason

welcome to the site!  I am on this more than the girlfriend is on facebook (*shudders*).  I found there is not a better resource anywhere on the web for icefishing tips, and general B.S.'ing...

I might hit up Loughborough this weekend too....I'm the guy in the orange pants with blue stripe...come say hi if you see me, name's Dave.

Good luck out there.
Tight lines

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #275 on: Feb 03, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Just got back from Varty Lake...not a popular lake based on the no huts or footprints.  I didn't get far out from the launch as the slush was getting to me.  I guess there is a 25 foot hole in the middle of the open part of the lake.  I was in maybe 6fow, caught a healthy looking baby largemouth, but nothing else.  I pray that we get a warm spell for a couple days to melt all this snow and then freeze the damn slush, it's really starting to piss me off  :%$#!:

Offline shorehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #276 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:17 PM »
hello everyone i just moved to kingston in the last year and have picked up ice fishing this year because i couldn't wait for summer anymore. I have seen people talking about brook trout and was wondering what lakes i could head to for some fun??? Any info would be great and thanks.

Offline shorehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #277 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:18 AM »
Also I was wondering if there are white fish in the area or if people head to simcoe for them???

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #278 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:24 AM »
Yo shorehunter, if you look up Frontenac Park they have a website and there you can find a map of the park and lists of all the fish in the lakes.  Many of the lakes in the park have specks. Enjoy.

Offline shorehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #279 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:35 AM »
Thanks

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #280 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:00 AM »
There is slush, but not that bad, you'll be ok.

Offline shorehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #281 on: Feb 04, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Thanks seever!! Is there a way to sticky that for others?? i know it will stay up but im just thinking for furture people???

Offline shorehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #282 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:57 AM »
I don't know all the lakes in the area so i have been doing alot of research on the area lakes and looking up directions so i never noticed which lakes were around for whites!!!

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #283 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Guys,
I have not gone for them but my understanding is Eagle and Wolf, perhaps Crow. Anyone can confirm that (as - you actually got or saw them caught).
Drive safely everyone.

Offline c5Fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #284 on: Feb 09, 2011, 11:45 AM »
you sound very bitter:) clearly your boy's technique was the one the fish wanted that day.. I think he would want you to learn from him and not be disappointed... I suspect your son will hold back next time so you can catch something :) :)

classic post... well done!

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #285 on: Feb 11, 2011, 03:03 PM »
Does anyone wanna go for some brookies early tomorow

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #286 on: Feb 11, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Paddys lake  or dog for splake it dont matter to me id like to get there early so wed have to meet  at 7 ish if thats good with you call me and let me know 985 5748

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #287 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Tried sending you pm but your box was full. Let me know when you want to go.
Kris

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #288 on: Feb 12, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Ya thats why i left my number im going to paddys tom anyway leavin here around 6 call me if you wanna go anybody else wanna come

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #289 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Seveer,
Thank you very much!  I'll try checking it out this season.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #290 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Seveer,
Thank you very much!  I'll try checking it out this season.

Looking forward to a report, always wondered if there were any whitefish lakes around here
@jzuliniak

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #291 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Hey guys,

Just wondering what to expect on Sunday morning on Dog at Hogan's Point with respect to the ice conditions. I know there was a ton of ice out there before this mild streak but I'm hoping to get out on Sunday morning. What do you guys think, will the ice have enough time to freeze (slush and water on top of the ice) before Sunday if it's below freezing from Saturday morning on? And would you think the ice should be safe out there come Sunday? I don't plan on going far from the plowed ice road but just want to get some input from some of you guys who are way more experienced than me when it comes to ice conditions!

Thanks guys.

Stay Safe!
Andrew

Offline shorehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #292 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Does anyone know of a site with a map of the backlakes with names??? when i put alot of the lake names in google maps it always shows me lakes up in nothern ontario!!!!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #293 on: Feb 18, 2011, 01:40 PM »
Does anyone know of a site with a map of the backlakes with names??? when i put alot of the lake names in google maps it always shows me lakes up in nothern ontario!!!!

try this one:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
it's not perfect - but it's open source, so if we all start updating it - it'll be really nice.  It works better than google maps for some areas already
Tight lines

Offline ultimate tire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #294 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:23 AM »
Hey all im a newbie to this site and very impressed. I am from upstate ny, near Syracuse. I own a camp on MAckie LAke. Ever hear of it??? I have always thought of ice fishing the lake but never have. Anyone ever fished it??? Ad if so how did you make out??? Im pretty sure Tooleys lodge is open all year?

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #295 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Does anyone wanna go fishin today just give me a call and lets get some fish pm is full i have no idea how to delete them so call my cell 613 876 2407

Offline jigsaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #296 on: Feb 19, 2011, 10:20 AM »
hi just joined  and new to ice fishing, tried fishing little cranberry and wolfe lake ,got nothing , ( used mud minnows and jigged some some waxies), ive noticed verona lake mentioned a lot is there any recommended lakes arond elgin area im close by whitefish and sand lakes (jones falls area), fishing for anything. ,do i fish deep ? weeds?, any good spots ??

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #297 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:49 PM »
Does anyone wanna go fishin today just give me a call and lets get some fish pm is full i have no idea how to delete them so call my cell 613 876 2407
hey dude
missed the invite - ended up on the big L this morning, not a fish for me :(
to clear your inbox, use the check box on the far right, then "Delete selected" button.

we should hit up dog again sometime soon, probably out for sunday tho
Tight lines

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #298 on: Feb 20, 2011, 03:39 AM »
Im hittin the bay right now

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #299 on: Feb 20, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Ice is good not to much luck  im at hicxkory the kid beside me just goty a ten pounder im staying till dark lasty nighjt he iced 7

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.