The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: fishing trip...  (Read 437 times)

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
fishing trip...
« on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:07 PM »
trying to plan a trip to wisconsin for some ice fishing.... id like to stay kinda south eastern part of the state... is there much safe ice around the area?  and would anyone have any suggestions on what lakes to hit? id like to get on some good perch and walleye.. any infomation would help
Fish On'

Offline newtoia

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fishing trip...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:54 AM »
I think you will have to go north of Milwaukee if you are looking for good solid safe ice.  I have been out the last couple of days and the ice is getting soft in a hurry.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing trip...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Fox Lake in Dodge County has perch and walleyes, decent ice conditions still but I would recommend walking or ATV if you're a first timer.  I believe the limit on walleyes is 3 fish over 18 inches.  Perch (and all other panfish combined, i.e. crappie, bluegill, sunfish, etc.) is 25 per day. 

Winnebago is obviously king for perch and walleyes but it is a different beast than most inland waters.  Right now they are still driving trucks off the east shore north of Fond du Lac, ATV's off the west shore and north shore.  Be very careful crossing cracks.  Brothertown has a truck bridge out still but not sure how much longer.  There are ATV bridges off the west shore at a couple access points.  If you come across a crack, be very careful crossing it and understand a crack you crossed safely in the morning may not be safe to cross in the same spot come evening.  As for the fishing on Winnebago, right now they are catching fish 1-3 miles off the east shore from Pipe to Quinney.  It's a mix of perch, whitebass, walleyes, and sauger.  West shore near Oshkosh, again 1-3+ miles out they are catching walleyes, sauger, and whitebass.  There are large groups of fishermen at both spots, they are usually on the schools of fish but not always.  Sometimes it helps to get away from these groups.  Daily bag limit for walleye/sauger are 5 (and only 1 can be a sauger), no length limit.  Perch (panfish) limit is 25.  No limit on the whitebass.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.