The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: How Deep  (Read 874 times)

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
How Deep
« on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:42 AM »
What is the best depth I've tried all I see lots of pike in the 14 to 18 feet range the water is crystal clear. And most of the fish are crusing the bottom.Thnx
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How Deep
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2010, 10:29 AM »
I'd prefer 6 or 8 feet, but I like to pop an occasional walleye. I hardly ever see a wally at less that 12 fow. So that's what I set up in. Right now I'm in 12 fow and about 8 feet from a 45 degree drop off. Most of the northerns come from this shallower area which is to my back. The walleyes seem to appear from deeper water along with an occasional herring/whitefish.

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How Deep
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:21 PM »
It all depends on water clarity for me. Where I'm set up now the water is semi merky maybe 10' visibility on a bright sunny day. When water clarity is not an issue i look for the sharp drop offs and spear about half way down. Most predatory fish push the bait along these sharp breaks. And where I can't find drop offs I go where i know the weed beds are located and work the edge of those or if I know there's a bare spot in the middle of these beds try and set up there because northern will lay in those weeds and wait for bait to appear in the opening. I hope this helps you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.