Author Topic: Automatic Fisherman  (Read 1409 times)

Offline tziegert14

• IceShanty Rookie
Automatic Fisherman
« on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Hi All, been fishing with 2 automatic fisherman for trout this winter and I have to say they are neat once you get everything dialed in. I have a question on hook up ratio, I am batting about 700 with these things but still miss some fish is this about right? I have to say I had more people come to look at them and most say what are you lazy can't set your own hook but I got these things to make it easier on the fish. Trout have a habit of taking the bait and running and they tend to take baits deep no matter how quick you are. Most of my fish on the automatics are hooked in the corner of the mouth.

Thanks - Ted

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Automatic Fisherman
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:14 PM »
I have one for pike fishing and I think it looks awesome.  Unfortunately the pike havent been biting good and I haven't caught a fish on it yet.  If you think you are not getting a good enough hook up ration maybe try giving a little more slack line, but not too much so they dont swallow it

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:26 AM »
Ditto on that. I've been using one for a couple of years and slack and even a light drag so the fish can pull line once hooked. I don't use the slip bobber any more I just leave slack in the set up.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline tziegert14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2011, 03:21 AM »
Ditto on that. I've been using one for a couple of years and slack and even a light drag so the fish can pull line once hooked. I don't use the slip bobber any more I just leave slack in the set up.

So you don't need the slip bobber! I thought the bobber loaded the rod to help the release bar do its thing. I had to go to smaller bobbers on my set up because I'm fishing shallow water with small baits and had some trips and fish when the bobber was unable to run up to the rod. I like the sound everything makes when a fish trips the unit. One day I was half asleep in my chair till I heard that clack when the plastic arm dropped on to the base better than an alarm clock!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:25 AM »
I do like the noise when it goes off. LOL Another device I've been using is and Ice rigger that I picked up at wally world. The line clips and it has a flag like a tip up. It has a couple inches of movement and the fish seem to hook them selves. I use on longer poles lake trout fishing in deep water and shallow for rainbows. I really like using them as the fish is on a rod for the fight. Have not tried on walleyes but I will soon, working on hole covers to use with.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.