The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Holter fishing  (Read 782 times)

Offline zoomie

• IceShanty Rookie
Holter fishing
« on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:09 PM »
We fished holter last Saturday with no success. We tried 5' to 35' of water using everything we could think of wax worms, mealworms, frozen minnows, and lures with no luck. Does anyone have any advice or different experiences?

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Holter fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:18 PM »
What fish are you targeting?  Makes a big diferance on where you fish and how.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline Janz321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:57 AM »
How thick was the ice? I'm heading up Sunday morning for trout. I've had good success with flies or tied jigs. Wolly buggers and marabou jigs tipped with maggots or worms. The trout seem to be fairly close to shore in 5' to 20' of water and the bite is usually better in the morning before 10 am than any other time. I've had good success at the first campground, Log Gulch and in front of the Marina. Hope that helps. How thick was the ice when you went and what area did you fish?

Offline Buck41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:18 PM »
I fished Holter last Monday. I did catch a few trout and 1 small walleye near Black beach. Ice was good about 9 good inches
"Give none Take none"

Offline zoomie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:45 PM »
The ice by the campground was about 5" last week. The ice at log gulch was about 11". Also we were fishing for whatever would bite, but sure would like to catch done eyes. Thanks for the ideas.

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:40 PM »
Trying to put some eyes on the ice good luck and if you figure it out be sure to pass it on.  I have been ice fishing for several years and one thing I have learned is that walleye are the hardest to catch.   Some do good using tip ups fishing at night others do ok jigging in the evening and morning.   I heard that Tiber is producing some eyes and a few coming out of Frances, but fishing them in Holter I think you have to go a few miles upriver .  Look for rocky structure and fish mostly at their prime feeding times .  I always prefer chasing the perch and the one good outcome is that I usually pick up an eye or two.
Good luck

check out the other threds on Holter great info
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.