Author Topic: Auger extensions?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Auger extensions?
« on: Nov 11, 2017, 11:44 AM »
After watching some ice fishing shows on tv it almost looks like it is more work lifting up the auger back out of the hole high up in the air to clear the added extension length than it would be to just bend over a little more without the extension? I mean I understand not having to bend over to drill through thick ice, but if you don't really need it, it looks like more work lifting it out.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Auger extensions?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2017, 12:23 PM »
i use an extension to add length to my finbore/m18 fuel.  would be pretty short without it and i'm about 6'4".  but then again we get 4 feet of ice so i guess i also use the extension for the more traditional reason.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2017, 12:29 PM »
I pull my sleeper shack behind my truck, it is a large pop up camper conversion and the floor is probably 14" off the ice. I pack all my gear in the shack at my first stop. I drill inside the shack directly in the hole I will be fishing. After the ice is about 16" I have to add my first extension.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2017, 01:04 PM »
I guess I always thought that an extension was for if the ice was thicker than what was the length of the auger.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2017, 01:41 PM »
If the rig causes you to hunch over from the start, like the Clam plates.. Those could use a couple/few more inches out of the box..

My extension made mine lighter, too...

<°)))>{

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2017, 03:57 PM »
I guess I always thought that an extension was for if the ice was thicker than what was the length of the auger.
Keep it safe! JDL

That was my thought also. But on this show they had a extension on where it looked like they really didn’t need it, and it looked like more work raising it up to the top of there head to pull it out than it would have been to just bend over a little more.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2017, 05:07 PM »
That may be but just seems very lazy. All that extra work drilling holes because you are to lazy to take 10 mins and take the extension off until you need it.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:37 PM »
I have a bad back and prefer to drill with an extension or longer flight like a Nils. 
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Yes they are a PIA. Especially when you're having to keep pulling it up to clear the ice from the hole multiple times.
I don't put mine on until my auger won't drill through the ice without it on.
My 10" bit is 42" long, with the extension it's 60" long.
I have only bottomed out twice with ice thicker than 60".
It's a ton of work drilling through that kind of ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.