Author Topic: guide or directions needed for lake winnipeg ?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline 793bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grow stupid grow
guide or directions needed for lake winnipeg ?
« on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:20 PM »
thinking of going to lake winnipeg on saturday although i have never fished out there.i read about you guys fishing in the south basin and the south end.where exactly are you fellows going and where are you driving on the lake.i've seen matlock mentioned and chalet beach.how deep is the water you fellows are fishing in and how far do you have to drive out.

thanks

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: guide or directions needed for lake winnipeg ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:19 PM »
You can access the lake by Road 96N...east of PTH 9 north of Petersfield.  96N is also Chalet Beach road.  If you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you can drive onto the lake and follow the myriad of trails that take you southeastish.  There are a bunch of shacks out there.  Fish are caught at virtually any depth over 4 feet.  The trick is to keep moving until you catch some eyes.  When the bit stops, move.  It is tedious but moving produces eyes if you're not fortunate enough to drill your holes right on top of them.

If you're walking out, then walk out straight out from Chalet Beach until you find 5+ feet of water.  Good luck.

Offline 793bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grow stupid grow
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:16 PM »
thanks gator .the wife and i are going to head out on saturday.i'm probably will venture out on sunday as well. also where do you drive on at the gimli harbor.how is it at silver harbor as well.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:30 PM »
gatorhunter......any pressure ridges out there at Matlock to contend with?
If so, how far out?
Thanks  :)
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Sandy Hooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:03 PM »
If you're heading to Gimli you can drive on where the boat launch is (in behind the Harbour Masters office just south of the pier).

If you're going to Silver Harbour (Arnes) you may have to walk on...I have never driven on there but there is a public boat launch that may be usable for a driving a vehicle onto the ice.....

I guess a good rule of thumb is to look for vehicle tracks, and as long as they don't lead to a truck nose-first in the ice, you should be good to go.

I was out at Gimli the last 2 saturdays and caught lots of good size perch. Was also out at Arnes last saturday and caught about a dozen perch.

Might try Matlock or Chalet Beach rd; looks like there might be some action there.

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2007, 10:09 PM »
The cracks are in their usual places Ron.  Appears to be well utilized crossings.  As always, one should test them with needle bars or axes prior to crossing with vehicles.

Offline 793bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grow stupid grow
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007, 10:18 PM »
which is a better spot right at matlock or chalet beach road.can you drive on right at matlock as well.weather looks great for the weekend getting the itch to get out.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:04 PM »
The cracks are in their usual places Ron.  Appears to be well utilized crossings.  As always, one should test them with needle bars or axes prior to crossing with vehicles.
Thanks Andre  :)
Reason I asked.....I've been there only once.......but when Ac's green bus ....er.....truck.....g ot hung up on a ridge.....that's where we stopped to fish. :icefish:
It wasn't that far out  :laugh:
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.