Author Topic: Opinions Wanted....  (Read 1724 times)

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Opinions Wanted....
« on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:03 AM »
This should open a can of worms!  lol.  I am tossing around the idea of buying a 6 man pop up.  I have a two man shack (18 years old and still works) and the Clam voyager (seats 3).  The problem is there is a minimum of 4 in my party at any given time.  I was suggested to purchace the Eskimo for the fact that the windows are velcroed in.  If the windows break in the cold just remove and replace.  What do you guys and gals recommend?

Thanks,
5 X MA
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Opinions Wanted....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:35 AM »
I am a fan of the Eskimo line.  I have a QF 3 and love it, I have never had issues with it.  My father-in-law bought a QF 6 last year and it appears the quality is still the same as it was when I got mine.  People will tell you to stay away from Eskimo because the use a lighter weight fabric for the shell and they do, but they, in my opinion, make up for that with the higher quality poles and hubs.  As for the Velcro windows I have yet to have a window crack but I do like having the option to simply take off the crack window and replace it.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:37 AM »
My eskimo's were a nightmare last year, I went through 3 of them, 2 fatfish 9416's and a quickfish 6, main issues was with rods popping out of the hubs, eskimo has great costomer service, you will need it, they took back all of the tents, I just went with a cheap 6 man woods from wholesale, costco has a six man on for 214 bucks and I believe its a good tent, costco has great costomer service!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline hunter-of-lunkers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Get the 6 man from costco. Best price and customer service.  If anything breake just bring it back and they will get you a new one.

Offline specialized

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2012, 10:22 AM »
http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/six-pack-1660-mag-5-7-anglers.html
I am on my second big fatfish and the costumer service from them has been very good.  This year they have fixed some of the problems they had last year larger poles and beefier hub.  I have seen the clam set up at cabelas and just by looking at it it looks like it is a winner for sure.  Heavier fabric and a very nice design.  My large fatfish can probably almost be set up inside of it.  If everyone sits near the middle and you drill the holes on the around the wall you would be able to fit a lot of people in there with lots of room for everyone to fish.  I am pretty sure you wont be disappointed with the new clam.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2012, 11:21 AM »
So all the hub style shelters come with ice screws for anchors.  I saw that the clam has an adapter for the drill.  Do you need one or do they go in easy by hand?   
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline dkozyra15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2012, 12:09 PM »
I predrill my with a drillbit then put anchors in or some guys just use a leg bolt with a washer and screw them down with a drill
A bad day of fishing is still better then a good day @ work!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2012, 01:47 PM »
Look at the Clam Switchback, I have one and being able to gain the extra couple feet really do make the world of difference.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2012, 03:25 PM »
So all the hub style shelters come with ice screws for anchors.  I saw that the clam has an adapter for the drill.  Do you need one or do they go in easy by hand?

If there the good ones you don't need to use a drill at all. Here's quality --> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LX739W/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0029XPWD6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0M5RAVWXBS5P99PHWAMV

If they look like bent threaded ready rod, throw them out and buy the good ones.  Here's garbage --> http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Fishing-Shelter-Anchors/dp/B0029XPWD6

We made an adapter before they were in stores but then bought all good anchors and don't bother bringing a drill anymore.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2012, 12:30 AM »
If there the good ones you don't need to use a drill at all. Here's quality --> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LX739W/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0029XPWD6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0M5RAVWXBS5P99PHWAMV

If they look like bent threaded ready rod, throw them out and buy the good ones.  Here's garbage --> http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Fishing-Shelter-Anchors/dp/B0029XPWD6

We made an adapter before they were in stores but then bought all good anchors and don't bother bringing a drill anymore.
Thanks for the tips!
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:49 AM »
My buddy bought the Clam six pack 1660 and is very happy with it 

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:20 AM »
As an outfitter, my stuff gets used and abused.  Last year I picked up the 6man catfish.  Up north we run into lots of cold cold weather, but usually not alot of wind.  It has done me very well.  I had do some of my own fixing on a hub, and some of the black interior is flaking off on some creases.  But haven't had any problems with zippers or windows.  Lots of room. 

A tip for mega room is it you bring chip bags clips- put two shacks together at the door- clip the shacks together and then have a mega shelter- I can run 20 feet long in a V shape this way. 
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline Mistabray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:35 AM »
I'd take hunter-of-lunkers advice, and get the 6 man from Costco. :thumbsup: You'll need at least a 6 man to get you and your 4 buddies and essential fishing gear out of the elements. I have a 3 man from Costco and it's lasted me 3 years now, with minimal wear/tear.
The warranty is long expired on my 3 man (I believe it was 1 year full-coverage), but if anything does go wrong with yours in the first year, you can just go back to Costco and they will give you a new one on the spot, and unlike other brand name pop-ups, you won't have to spend money and waste WAY more time sending a defective product back to the supplier, or dealing with the retailer's customer service dept. from where you bought it.
FYI - Costco has better prices on Sunflower Heaters too... just thought I'd throw that in there. ;D

Good luck.
Everybody has to believe in something.
      ... I believe I'll go fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.