The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: clam plate 8 inch gear box recall  (Read 24767 times)

Online Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: clam plate 8 inch gear box recall
« Reply #90 on: Feb 04, 2017, 05:58 AM »
Good PR on their part.

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • live in Canton Mich grew up on clarklake
« Reply #91 on: Feb 04, 2017, 06:08 PM »
My gearbox came today looks like it has a aluminum case . With it came a hockey lace hoodie , edge gloves , stocking hat ,and a hoodie face mask  great pr from clam

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Feb 04, 2017, 09:47 PM »
My gearbox came today looks like it has a aluminum case . With it came a hockey lace hoodie , edge gloves , stocking hat ,and a hoodie face mask  great pr from clam

X2, Thanks for finally getting em done Clam!!

Kinda tight tolerances on that bolt pattern, had a little trouble getting all four bolts started..

Fired it up for a dry run, everything seems cool so far..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Feb 04, 2017, 09:54 PM »
I got no confirmation email on shipping/tracking, but it was waiting for me when i got home from fishing..

The aluminum casting is a little rough, I think they might still be working on that, maybe not..

I'll take function over form any day..

This appears to be made in the USA, I suspect the price might increase moving forward, maybe not..

I'll hopefully be trying it on the ice in the next day or two..

<°)))>{

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #94 on: Feb 05, 2017, 02:58 AM »
Best of luck with the gear boxes gentleman ...hope to see an detailed review . Any ideas when they will be available to the general pubic ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #95 on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:05 AM »
X2, Thanks for finally getting em done Clam!!
Kinda tight tolerances on that bolt pattern, had a little trouble getting all four bolts started..
Fired it up for a dry run, everything seems cool so far..
are you going to open this one up and grease it? and tell us what you see inside?

a picture of the inside would be great too!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Feb 05, 2017, 10:00 AM »
are you going to open this one up and grease it? and tell us what you see inside?

a picture of the inside would be great too!

Not gonna happen, I'm going to run it how they brung it...

Maybe it's just user error. Or because you took it apart and put it back together or that you added a grease that isn't correct. It's like buyin a new car taking a part the engine for no reason and putting it back together and complaining when it fails. If just don't know why you would want another one if it's so bad and you hate the company, maybe so you can complain about something else.  ???

After asshat's post, I decided why should I go through the trouble? They must have enough grease to get it through the warranty right?

So I'm just going to treat it like a millennial, not try and worry about mechanicals, and let it ride..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Feb 05, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Also, on a side note...

The shaft that the drill chuck goes on, did some informal hardness testing on both gear boxes...

Recalled box- a flat file could hardly make a mark in it. It is at a minimum case hardened... This shaft also has the shattered gear...

New replacement box- input shaft file test, as soft as room temperature steel can be..

FYI...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Feb 05, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Tried it out today..

Not a lot of ice, about 3-4 inches.. It was really wet "catchy" ice, it did really well I think.. Only punched five holes just to try it...

<°)))>{

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Feb 06, 2017, 09:07 AM »
NICE glad to see they are shipping out.. still nothing on my end. hopefully this week.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Feb 06, 2017, 10:39 AM »
NICE glad to see they are shipping out.. still nothing on my end. hopefully this week.

Maybe today?

I know it was a hassle, and a bunch of malarkey.. But, they picked the right season to have this happen.. I really haven't needed my 8" yet this winter, Erie walleyes aren't going to happen, unless we get a miracle...

It was really cool of them to include the extra gear, the hoodie is awesome, which retails almost as much as the gearbox. That was pretty generous of them..

Hopefully these new ones are bullet proof!

<°)))>{

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #101 on: Feb 06, 2017, 10:42 AM »
Best of luck with the gear boxes gentleman ...hope to see an detailed review . Any ideas when they will be available to the general pubic ?

Emailed Clam ...their response

Thank you for your interest in the Auger Conversion Kit Gearbox. They are on
recall and we are completely reworking them so in the mean-time will not be
selling them. We will not be re-releasing them until next ice season, so this
fall. I would suggest checking back next fall and we will have them available
for purchase. Here’s the link to them on our website. Once they’re in stock they
will be available to purchase through there. If you want to check back
periodically that’s the best way to check

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Feb 06, 2017, 12:47 PM »
Maybe today?

I know it was a hassle, and a bunch of malarkey.. But, they picked the right season to have this happen.. I really haven't needed my 8" yet this winter, Erie walleyes aren't going to happen, unless we get a miracle...

It was really cool of them to include the extra gear, the hoodie is awesome, which retails almost as much as the gearbox. That was pretty generous of them..

Hopefully these new ones are bullet proof!

<°)))>{

hope so man... like you i wont be able to use it, hoping i get some safe ice before season is out. illinois weather has not been cooperative latley. tried to hit the ice this weekend and only had about 1.5" around the shorelines. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Feb 06, 2017, 03:29 PM »
We will not be re-releasing them until next ice season, so this
fall. I would suggest checking back next fall and we will have them available for purchase.

I'm going to guess they'll look slightly different than the one I just received..

It's a pretty rough casting, looks extremely unfinished. Pretty sure it's a mold that was just created for testing the latest inner workings.. If the inner workings hold up, they'll probably make a more refined mold (which would require less machining, be cheaper in the long run, and have a better finish..)

But if mine works its golden in my book..

<°)))>{

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Feb 06, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Just put mine on was a little more of a challenge ! But the other items made the hassle worth it  . I will use everything except the gloves as i never wear gloves to fish , I just use hand warmers on the palm side of the wrist under sweatbands  and in my hand warmer pockets on my bibs

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Feb 06, 2017, 06:51 PM »
Just put mine on was a little more of a challenge ! But the other items made the hassle worth it  . I will use everything except the gloves as i never wear gloves to fish , I just use hand warmers on the palm side of the wrist under sweatbands  and in my hand warmer pockets on my bibs

Those holes should go all the way through the case with nuts on the other side .. That would save them the time/tooling to tap those holes.. It would also be more forgiving when trying to install, as you figured out, harder than it looks..

<°)))>{

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #106 on: Feb 06, 2017, 06:54 PM »
I just use hand warmers on the palm side of the wrist under sweatbands 

Lil off topic but how do they work ...was going to give that a try this season ..but never quite cold enough for a good field test...sweat bands and heat packs on the ready .

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Feb 08, 2017, 04:59 PM »
anyone else receive the replacement yet? got another generic response that they are arriving and shipping in batches. still nothing here. 

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Feb 09, 2017, 03:02 PM »
Anyone know the weight of the new gear box?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Feb 09, 2017, 03:34 PM »
Anyone know the weight of the new gear box?

I didn't weigh it before putting it on the plate.. It does seem heavier than the plastic one..

My assembled auger weighs 16lbs total..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Feb 11, 2017, 07:59 PM »
I gotta say, I'm pretty dang happy with my replacement gear box..

Been running it on my 8" Mora, still a little bit of work for my Rigid, but it works great.. I can't see my drill running a 10" bit, although the Milwaukee might.. Super happy to finally have a light weight 8" auger!!

The way it cuts running a 6" mora is simply beautiful, I didn't try it, but I can say I'm pretty positive I'll be getting significant more inches per battery. It really helps smooth out the cutting, and its still plenty fast through the ice.. Running the 6" might even be faster than without gears, not enough ice around here to really get a good idea.. Running the six, I don't think clearing chips as it cuts will be an issue either, which is nice...

Thanks for fixing your gearbox Clam..

<°)))>{

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:17 AM »
I gotta say, I'm pretty dang happy with my replacement gear box..

Been running it on my 8" Mora, still a little bit of work for my Rigid, but it works great.. I can't see my drill running a 10" bit, although the Milwaukee might.. Super happy to finally have a light weight 8" auger!!

The way it cuts running a 6" mora is simply beautiful, I didn't try it, but I can say I'm pretty positive I'll be getting significant more inches per battery. It really helps smooth out the cutting, and its still plenty fast through the ice.. Running the 6" might even be faster than without gears, not enough ice around here to really get a good idea.. Running the six, I don't think clearing chips as it cuts will be an issue either, which is nice...

Thanks for fixing your gearbox Clam..

<°)))>{
i agree even before my recalled gearbox broke it worked great when I had to put the bearing on to finish up my vacation my Milwaukee fuel would cut but it used batteries much faster and cut much rougher with my 8 inches nils. I salute clam for understanding that the farther from the center of a diameter the faster the rpm will be thus the need for gear reduction .

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Feb 12, 2017, 08:32 PM »
I even tried cutting with the 6" in high speed, didn't work for too long before it cut out. Had to try lol..

I did switch it to high speed when I was done drilling to throw all the slush and water off it..

<°)))>{

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Feb 12, 2017, 08:58 PM »
Happened to stop by my local Cabelas, they had two of the gearboxes out for sale. Two more chances to hop on the waiting list.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:05 PM »
Happened to stop by my local Cabelas, they had two of the gearboxes out for sale. Two more chances to hop on the waiting list.

They were probably the newest ones? Pretty sure they pulled all the earlier ones...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:07 PM »
anyone else receive the replacement yet? got another generic response that they are arriving and shipping in batches. still nothing here.

No news yet?

<°)))>{

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Feb 13, 2017, 07:29 AM »
No news yet?

<°)))>{

pulled one of the two they had on the shelf and it looked to be the same plastic we received. i think someone forgot to pull it off the shelf. 

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Feb 13, 2017, 07:32 AM »
still nothing... they keep giving me the same generic responses. they are coming in batches and are getting sent in the order the claims were placed. wont have a chance to use it until next winter at this point. unless it comes this week and i head north next weekend. think i got my shot on the ice this past weekend. ice was down to 5" or so with a week of 40 degree days ahead.   

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #118 on: Feb 13, 2017, 07:33 AM »
pulled one of the two they had on the shelf and it looked to be the same plastic we received. i think someone forgot to pull it off the shelf.

Were they discounted any ?

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Feb 13, 2017, 08:33 AM »
Were they discounted any ?

69.00 on the sticker, they may have been discounted tho, they were shutting down our hardwater section most of whats left out is discounted at this point

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.