Author Topic: Universal blades for hand auger  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Universal blades for hand auger
« on: Feb 22, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Does anyone know if any stores around Omaha or online carry a univeral 8" blade set for a hand auger?  I've got the red Arctic Ice hand auger from BassPro. Was there about 3 weeks ago and they had plenty of augers but had already put away the auger blades for season. So then I went to their website and they had 6" replacement blades but were sold out of the 8" ones.  I'm like SOL. :(
Ice fishing is a subculture, one wouldn't understand until they experienced it...

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Universal blades for hand auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2013, 05:25 PM »
Not sure if there is such a thing as universal.. Might try a Strike Master Mora blade..  But no guarantee it will cut right even if it does fit. 

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2013, 05:31 PM »
Not sure if there is such a thing as universal.. Might try a Strike Master Mora blade..  But no guarantee it will cut right even if it does fit.
I thought about that beeverfishing.  But I'm cheap. The replacement blades at BPS for the house model are $10.99. The Mora and StrikeMaster blades that I've seen have been at least double that in price.
Ice fishing is a subculture, one wouldn't understand until they experienced it...

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:02 PM »
Great tip and thanks beeverfishing! I went scheels and sized up the blade and bolt distance- my 4" blades line up concisely.  However, I didn't buy because they wanted $25 for the 8" Eskimo and $30 for the Mora. Should be better deals online.

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:05 PM »
In my experience, true Mora (not Chineese) blades have a right to be more expensive because they are made of a harder steel that holds an edge for significantly longer.  My Mora blades have plenty of holes on them and still catch my fingernail no problem with just the occasional working-over with a hand-honing (blue handled "sharpener") device.

Nate

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:07 PM »
np..  hope they cut once ya get them on the ice.  Might have to shim them to get the right angle.
As was just posted, Make sure they are good blades, not junk.

Offline Jfarmer36

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:13 PM »
you can get them sharpened,in omaha ...fosters I think..

Offline Jfarmer36

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:20 PM »
I was wrong..its Loveless,16th and pinkney, had a set done there last year,came out twice as sharp as when the auger was new,
take them in now..they are not FAST so you will not be in a pinch for next season

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:59 PM »
I really appreciate the information.  Thanks! ;D

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Nate is right, cheapos are Chinese knock offs, not Swiss or wherever Mora are. Crossed my mind for two seconds then I spent $25 on mora. I want to try the strike master sharpener next time for $9. I've punched near 1000 holes on these blades and still rockin.

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2013, 04:38 AM »
Nate is right, cheapos are Chinese knock offs, not Swiss or wherever Mora are. Crossed my mind for two seconds then I spent $25 on mora. I want to try the strike master sharpener next time for $9. I've punched near 1000 holes on these blades and still rockin.

1,000 holes....... You need to get better spots LMAO j/k
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:40 AM »
1,000 holes....... You need to get better spots LMAO j/

Having the only power auger in my group it punches many holes, even goes out sometimes without me.

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:51 AM »
Alright Matt, you and some of the other guys have convinced me. I'm gonna try the Mora blades for a little more dough!

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Alright Matt, you and some of the other guys have convinced me. I'm gonna try the Mora blades for a little more dough!
well worth it!! i just bought a mora knife and its the same steel as the auger blades and boy is that sharp! hope it holds its edge just as long bc ill go buy 5 more if thats the case
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2013, 11:08 AM »
well worth it!! i just bought a mora knife and its the same steel as the auger blades and boy is that sharp! hope it holds its edge just as long bc ill go buy 5 more if thats the case
I guess the blade for augers is a high alloy, carbon steel blade made in Sweden.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2013, 11:22 AM »
I guess the blade for augers is a high alloy, carbon steel blade made in Sweden.
Yes, the good ones are

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2013, 12:03 PM »
thats what this knife is...its morakniv company i think. Im kind of a knife person and i like the carbon steel from sweden so much im actually thinking about making a few small knives from an old set of auger blades!!

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2013, 11:56 AM »
thats what this knife is...its morakniv company i think. Im kind of a knife person and i like the carbon steel from sweden so much im actually thinking about making a few small knives from an old set of auger blades!!
Cool. Please post pics if you do.

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:14 PM »
Well I put Moras on since most everyone swore by them. Boy are they sharp! Like a warm knife cutting through butter on the ice. :)

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:53 PM »
Well I put Moras on since most everyone swore by them. Boy are they sharp! Like a warm knife cutting through butter on the ice. :)
ive got high hopes for my knife! been too busy to do it yet but its gonna be sweet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.