Author Topic: Ice  (Read 2080 times)

Offline crappie assain

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice
« on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Hello fellow ice fisherman, just wondering if there is any safe ice in Maryland or Pennsylvania.  Looking to go out today or tomorrow.  Any info would be great.  Willing to drive 2.5 to 3 hrs, I'm in Baltimore county.  I checked the reports and condition boards, but every time I go on there it tells me a error has occurred. 

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:36 AM »
hi crappie assain. ...Just North of ya here in southern York County PA & no ice in my neck of the woods. :'(

Offline crappie assain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Thanks Loggy, I hear that there is ice on lake Jean,  This is not yet confirmed.

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:33 PM »
I was hopin to fish Broad Creek, MD(Conowingo Res tributary) this season in Hartford County MD but chances are getting slimer by the day.  Not sure if i will spring for a $60 NR MD Fishing license...may just get my Chesapeake Bay Sport License for my boat as usual.

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:00 PM »
No safe ice on Deep Creek yet. Or anywhere else in Western Maryland that I have heard of.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Deep creek has 3" in some places. I talked to Nicklows bait shop today and he has guys that checked it. He said to be carefull its  not all equal.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline HuntnTky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Under the Ducks or Over the fish otherwise youre j
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:22 PM »
I called Nickalows as well, They said: They had some guys fishing at deep creek.
 I know everyone has been itching to go as have I...
For myself...I am thinking that its going to be at least a few days to safe ice.
But I did get all my stuff out.

Offline JADYNWIZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:58 PM »
fishdeepcreek should give you some information.  Oh I forgot they say they aint giving no information out.   Terds.    Who would want another fisherman to have a good time...........Not them.

Offline CBOYCE1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 25" walleye on 2lb test with a 3mm jig STUD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:35 PM »
There are some places with 3 inches but also found some very nasty layered ice. 1/2 in. ice 1 in. slush 2 in. Ice if any one decides to try it be very careful.  Not sure what this warm front and rain will do to what little we have.
If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:13 PM »
Jadynwiz

I have been very helpful to guys for MANY years on both sites.

It's spelled turd.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline JADYNWIZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:05 AM »
  Strike Lead.................. ...................... ...................... ............

I just happen to check fishdeepcreek yesterday and saw that the Moderator of a fishing website forum says he is not going to help with reports anymore.   Not everybody lives right there on the lake and needs or requires a little help.   Something must of happened for him to of said he is not helping anymore.   Its a dicey thing trying to tell people about whether or not there is safe ice.      I think we all understand that but any or even a little help will go a long way for letting others determine if they should try or not to get out.   

Terd, Turd, Turds, Terds I think I should of used spell check.   Oops.   

Offline crappie assain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:28 AM »
Thanks guys for the report, i do appreciate the info.  I was thinking of fishing it this up and coming wknd. (1/21- 1/22)  If anyone would like to join me message me.  I live in Baltimore, not sure what time or day I'm headed out.  Any updates on ice conditions would be greatly appreciated.   

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:05 PM »
I was fishing on a solid 5" today for an hour or two. Although I measured 6" at the bank, it was about 3.5-4" uniform across the cove I was in. I saw MANY other guys fishing DCL today. The main body from Unos over to St Pk. lock up last night. I'm calling my guys up from Annapolis to fish with me next weekend.

Here's the status as I see it.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline crappie assain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Strike Lead, How did you do?  I have never fished Deep Creek before.  I'm new to the area so any pointer on where to stat would be great. I typically fish for perch, blue gill, and crappie.  I will Probably go up for the wknd seeing that its a 3 hr drive from me.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:15 PM »
My buddies caught 20+ jumbo perch 12-14" the other day. After seeing them i swear they were at ERIE.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Greenbriar has got 1.5 inches across...except for  south end...by rocks still slightly open

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:08 PM »
As far as I see it, it is posts just like the one by jadynwiz that makes locals not want to post any reports on the ice conditions. If they would read all the posts they would be informed of what is going on and why people don't want to make any posts. All icefishermen I know are helpful on web sites as well as on the ice. Then again all the icefishermen I know are local. These people that want to post such negative stuff and slam the locals for trying to help someone out can just stay where they are at as far as I am concerned.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.