Author Topic: Sliders for the Ice  (Read 2208 times)

servocam

Sliders for the Ice
« on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:07 PM »
My son's favorite ice fishing food has to be when I make sliders.  I wrap them in Aluminum foil and we heat them on top of the Big Buddy.  I'll take a 6 pack, and I may get 1 if I'm lucky.  I thought I would share my recipe.  They are very easy to make.

Ingredients:
  • (1) Large Sweet Onion - finely diced
  • (2) Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • (2) Tbsp Butter
  • (2) Tbsp Olive Oil
  • (2) Tbsp Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Spiced Rum + 1 shot (for you of course)
  • (1) pound ground beef (or ground turkey) to make eight 1/8 pound patties
  • (1) cup of water
  • Sea Salt & Pepper
  • (1) package of Slider / Mini-Burger Buns
  • (1) Jar of Dill Pickle Slices (hamburger style)

• Directions:
    In skillet (10-12") saute on medium-high for 5-10 minutes; onion with butter, olive oil, sugar, and Salt & Pepper (easy on the salt, just a shake or two).  Add rum (be careful or you will loose your eye brows if you ignite it).  After liquid is almost all gone, reduce to medium and add Garlic and continue to saute until brown (don't walk away or you will burn the garlic).  When done, remove about 75% of the onion/garlic mixture in to a bowl and set aside.  Add the water to the pan then the burgers.  Boil on each side for about 5 minutes and turn of burner.  DO NOT press them down!

While the burgers are boiling, on griddle or large non-stick skillet, turn to medium.  Butter each half the the bun and toast.  Again, if you walk away, you will burn them, just like the grilled cheese ;D.

To prepare the slider,  Place two dill pickle slices on bottom bun and add a good teaspoon of the sauteed onion.  Add burger.  Dip top bun in the liquid from the slider pan; place on top of slider.  If you follow this recipe, you are not allowed to put ketchup or mustard, this is a slider, not a burger.  Cheese is acceptable.  Enjoy a few, wrap the others in aluminum foil.  Heat for a few minutes on your heater.

Enjoy!  I'll post my Turkey Minnesota Wild Rice Soup.  Also have Beef Stew - all easy to make great ice fishing foods. Juicy Lucy's are good as well.

Offline laketroutnut

• IceShanty Rookie
    Re: Sliders for the Ice
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:24 AM »
    looks good. will definetly give it a try.

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • When in doubt, exaggerate!
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2011, 04:21 PM »
    Looks really really good, and great instructions! I cut and paste your forum post above and emailed to myself for safe keeping. :)

Your Turkey Minnesota Wild Rice Soup sounds really good too. Looking forward to that.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Ice Crazy
    « Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:33 PM »
    Well now you've done it.................... .my mouth is watering just thinking of the aroma in the shanty ;D ;D ;D
    I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

servocam

« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:11 PM »
    Just posted the Creamy Turkey Minnesota Wild Rice Soup for you all. Enjoy!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • Jigem up boys
    « Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:58 PM »
    Sliders sound great I'll be having them this year for sure.
    They will be a nice addition to the ice buffet we have once a year.
    Thanks for the recipe
    "Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
    Thomas Harris

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Swamp Yankee
    « Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:51 AM »
    My boy just turned 3. He will be out there a lot this winter. Will have to try this one. He loves burgers! Thanks

servocam

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:52 PM »
    My boy just turned 3. He will be out there a lot this winter. Will have to try this one. He loves burgers! Thanks

If you warm them up on your heater, it only takes a few mins.  I'm trying to recall how long.  Maybe about 3 minutes.  Depends on the heater as well.  I set them on top of the grill on the Big Buddy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.