Author Topic: Lindy darter tips?  (Read 2948 times)

Offline wicane07

• IceShanty Rookie
Lindy darter tips?
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:12 PM »
I just ordered up 2 lindy darters in the colors I've seen talked about the most on here.

Thing is, I have no idea how to fish with it!

Any tips?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Lindy darter tips?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:37 PM »
I have better luck with Chubby Darters, but this is how I fish both of them;

The cadence is 2 big arm sweeps (2-4ft), short pause (3-4 sec.), 5-6 "jerks" of about 4-6 inches, pause, then a short "vibration", then repeat. If in 2 or 3 cycles I don't mark fish or hook up, I move to the next hole. This is about what I start out with each trip out. I find it important to "follow" the darters down with the rod tip so I can hook the fish if they hit on the fall... Another point; when I am jigging; The line / lure has swam off to the side of the hole (if you are fishing it right), I wait  (the length of the pause) for the lure / line to be hanging vertical before I start the next step... The lure is "swimming" back to the center of the big circle that it swims in when worked right.
Best of luck!

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:30 PM »
My tip would be to not fish them like the salmo, or better yet ditch them all together and get the chubby darters as stripernut suggested. If you are stuck with them, or stubborn like myself I've got some solid tips for you. The first thing is you need to do is tie direct and push the knot towards the tail, Lindy darters are very(too) tail heavy and sit funny at rest unlike a salmo, where you can use a standard duo-lock. Secondly, in order to get a good circular swim pattern you really need to let them fall on a tight line, think of it as pushing down. Push, push, push raise push, push, push raise etc. stalling and then lowering your rod further on each push. Thirdly, make sure not to engage the rattle when you have a fish interested. Fourth and most important, when you're done abusing yourself tie a duo-lock back on, attach a chubby darter or a pimple and go back to catching better numbers and more quality fish.

I spend the majority of my ice time on stripers, crappie, and walleye.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:02 PM »

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:10 PM »
What are you fishing for?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:15 PM »
May take some time but once you figure the bait characteristics and what you can and can't do.  You'll be hooked.  Salmo and Lindy s are my favorite baits
Good luck

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:21 PM »
X2 on buying Salmo Chubby Darters.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline wicane07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:07 PM »
What are you fishing for?

I fish mostly shallow (less than 30 gow) for panfish and bass. I bought the smallest size with crappie and perch in mind to be more specific.

Should I bait them?

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:18 PM »
I always change the hooks out.  Use Owner ST 36 size 12-14 .  Lindy s hooks are garbage. Imo.  .
Catch ratio will go way up with better hooks. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2014, 10:38 PM »
I fish mostly shallow (less than 30 gow) for panfish and bass. I bought the smallest size with crappie and perch in mind to be more specific.

Should I bait them?

Sounds like you are going to use them just like I do. I use the smallest size in the silver/gray shiner color and the redear sunfish color. Bass can't resist them, bluegills will peck at them but I have yet to catch one. Caught a few crappies as well.

No not bait it.

I fish it by dropping it down and ripping the rod tip about 4" four to five times, that usually calls in a fish. If I do it 3 or 4 times and don't see a fish then I move. Of course when I'm using one I'm hole hopping along a weed line trying to catch some bass. They'll come flying right in on it and follow it around up and down the water column, when one is on it just slowly move the rod tip so the bait rocks back and forth. Whenever I pause it they usually turn away, so I keep it moving at all times. They don't really hit it, they just bend the rod tip over.

I have fished both the lindy and chubby and have not had a bite on the chubby. Have caught tons of bass on the lindy and probably 5 or 6 crappies.. not really targeting crappies with it though. Haven't fished with it in any perch waters yet.   

You are going to need a stiff rod for it, it will overpower most UL rods. I'd suggest a light action, maybe a ML if you anticipate any big bass. I use it on a 36" custom UL XF which fishes more like a Light.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline wicane07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Thanks for all the tips folks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.