The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Vertical Jigging Without Electronics  (Read 3092 times)

Offline WyExGafer

• IceShanty Rookie
Vertical Jigging Without Electronics
« on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:15 AM »
Is there a point?  I understand vertical jigging catches a ton of fish when you have electronics but without seeing whats happening do people still have success? Is the best option to go to passive fishing with dead sticks and tip ups or do you still vertical jig with say rippin raps and hope for the best?  Mainly walleye is my target fish if that helps.  Thanks

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vertical Jigging Without Electronics
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:19 AM »
I don't have electronics, I start by setting tip ups and deadsticks and jig by one that feels good. Once I start getting hits in one hole I start jig that hole. Caught a nice limit at pathfinder last weekend using that method. I also just drop and jig local where I know the fish are. I also use several jaw jackers. When one then starts getting active I'll start jigging that hole

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Is there a point?  I understand vertical jigging catches a ton of fish when you have electronics but without seeing whats happening do people still have success? Is the best option to go to passive fishing with dead sticks and tip ups or do you still vertical jig with say rippin raps and hope for the best?  Mainly walleye is my target fish if that helps.  Thanks
.    How did anyone catch fish before the flasher, that should answer the question !!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:26 AM »

I fish with a buddy who just flat out refuses to fish with electronics out on the ice - but he still catches fish.  I learned, as did he, how to fish long before electronics came to be so popular and he definitely knows how to fish and where to find them.  Electronics will definitely help you catch more - particularly ones that are suspended - but they are far from a necessity.  That said, I always hit the ice with a flasher and a fully charged battery...

Offline WyExGafer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:33 AM »
I don't have electronics, I start by setting tip ups and deadsticks and jig by one that feels good. Once I start getting hits in one hole I start jig that hole. Caught a nice limit at pathfinder last weekend using that method. I also just drop and jig local where I know the fish are. I also use several jaw jackers. When one then starts getting active I'll start jigging that hole

Debating on getting a jaw jacker too.  Pricey but I hear they work.  Are you catching eyes during the day? Only ever got them at night. 

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Gafer - jackers are extremely handy once you get that proper setup for the fish you are targeting, I always use live bait on mine and rig through the head, almost never misses a hook set!

Offline WyExGafer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Gafer - jackers are extremely handy once you get that proper setup for the fish you are targeting, I always use live bait on mine and rig through the head, almost never misses a hook set!
  Tried sending ya a pm Doz

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:47 PM »
I answered them both through email.

Offline WyExGafer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:50 PM »
I answered them both through email.

So whats the trick to seeing your messages? I can't even find my sent messages in the "my messages" folder.  It's all empty.  Do you have to pay to have that feature?

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:03 PM »
You can still catch fish. Obviously locating fish can be more challenging. Wouldn't say its pointless though.

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:08 PM »
So whats the trick to seeing your messages? I can't even find my sent messages in the "my messages" folder.  It's all empty.  Do you have to pay to have that feature?

You have too edit your profile for messages to have it save sent messages.

Cheers!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:14 PM »
The "old fashioned" way... Start at the bottom jigging on and slightly above (like 6"). Work your way up the water column a bit at a time (a foot +/-) trusting your presentation and technique to reveal fish. I did it that way for a long time and, hey guess what, I caught fish!

Pick a good spot, use your best presentations tailored to the species you wish to catch and go from there.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:23 PM »
im 42 i just got my first sonar, i could live with out it.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Jigging without electronics just punch a lot of hole and jig each one. Electronics help but if your location and depth is good you'll catch fish. I cant emphasize Location, Location is key!!!!! Now we have plot points and GPS to find the spot. Back in the day it was off this tree that cliff. Structure is key and knowledge of the reservoir is great. Dead stick is a good tool I use them as well jigging next to a dead stick sometimes produces more fish. Jig them in and dead stick catches.
No one left behind.     

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2018, 07:34 PM »
My graph fish finder I have had for 10 years, my gas auger for 10 years, I would rather get rid of the auger and go back to spudding my holes than go blindly with out a fish finder.  Horse and buggy was great in it's day, cars are pretty good these days.  Radio was good in its day before we had tv to watch in the evening. I use a lot of wool clothing but there are better technologies to make life better, and one being the fish finder.
Thread killer

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:00 PM »
It's pretty simple. If you want to catch more fish buy your choice of fish finder. If you don't, continue without one. People still fish without one yes but you will 100% catch more fish with a finder.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:49 AM »
   How do you determine if you drilled over soft or firm bottom or rock without a flasher? Pure luck or lake knowledge maybe. A lot of work can be avoided by reading through the ice before drilling off that point or hump with a flasher.

Offline WyExGafer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2018, 12:28 PM »
   How do you determine if you drilled over soft or firm bottom or rock without a flasher? Pure luck or lake knowledge maybe. A lot of work can be avoided by reading through the ice before drilling off that point or hump with a flasher.

Valid point.  My fish finder/flasher should be here this week.  Ended up going with the garmin for several reasons.

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:31 PM »
Just like open water sonars, Color is what tells me the difference between hard and soft bottoms.
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Just like open water sonars, Color is what tells me the difference between hard and soft bottoms.

Band thickness on flashers also can be interpreted for bottom composition.

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:58 PM »
yes sir, been a few years, gotten used to the sonar on the helix.
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:39 PM »
Another advantage not mentioned is sometimes walleye like a vertical presentation and sometimes horizontal. I usually start out with three different lures for walleye buckshot rattle spoon jigging rap and a rattle trap the big advantage to electronics is I can see fish that come in but don't bite more than once a simple lure change and I started catching fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.