The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: looking to trap minnows  (Read 3017 times)

Offline fishing wy

• IceShanty Rookie
looking to trap minnows
« on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:51 PM »
I am looking to trap minnows in the casper area plz help

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: looking to trap minnows
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:59 PM »
what are you wanting to know??

Offline fishing wy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:33 PM »
were  to go what to use

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:33 PM »
you should be able to go any where on the river that is open but that might be a game and fish question. If you are able to i would got to poison creek west of town. I do know you have to have a license. 

Offline fishing wy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:16 AM »
I do but do not know were posion creek is

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:45 AM »
poison spider creek im sorry its west of town. If you go out on Zero road it turns into poison spider road and it it out there maybe 10 or 15 miles.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:52 PM »
   Minnow trapping is kind of like fishing...find your own holes...don't expect people to tell you their spots...find your own holes pilgrim. >:(

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:02 PM »
Hey, welcome to Wyoming Iceshanty and good luck with that minner-trapping bud  ;D

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:32 PM »
buy traps, head to the game and fish office in casper, hand them $20.00 and get your seining license. 

pick up a walk in guide to the platte river and start tossing traps till you find a good hole, then never tell any one. 
Don

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Welcome to da shanty rook...........   

take the advice.  ;)

laters
the Cator
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:18 PM »
   Minnow trapping is kind of like fishing...find your own holes...don't expect people to tell you their spots...find your own holes pilgrim. >:(

Welcome to the Shanty fishing wy! please don't judge everybody by a few arrogant comments from some. hope you can find all the info you need. Again, welcome to Iceshanty! ;) ;D
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline fishing wy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Hey thanks thoes that helped iweill see what i can find i have never done it be just looking for a bit of help you do not have to be erogang

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty fishing wy! please don't judge everybody by a few arrogant comments from some. hope you can find all the info you need. Again, welcome to Iceshanty! ;) ;D
X2  ;D

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Hey thanks thoes that helped iweill see what i can find i have never done it be just looking for a bit of help you do not have to be erogang
we'll help anyway we can. good luck!
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline wforbes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:00 PM »
buy traps, head to the game and fish office in casper, hand them $20.00 and get your seining license. 

pick up a walk in guide to the platte river and start tossing traps till you find a good hole, then never tell any one. 

Is it really only $20 for a seining license?
hammer em bud!!! :tipup:

Offline fishing wy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:11 PM »
olny 20 dollers

Offline wforbes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:39 PM »
wow I will have to look into that, really It would be cheaper than buying minnows and you could pick all the good big ones :)  :flex:

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:40 PM »

$20 for the seining license
up to $50 or so for 5 traps unless you find them used.

figure what $3.50 to $5.00 for 12 minnows.  It easily pays for it's self in no time if you fish frequently.
Don

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:45 PM »

[/quote]I dont think it should cost one dime. my 2 cents

Offline wforbes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:53 PM »
I dont think it should cost one dime. my 2 cents

That is very very true I just expected that they would rip us off more that the 20

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:45 PM »
Trapping the minnows is not that hard its keeping them alive and healthy.. If you have ever had  an aquarium with a just a few fishies in it you will understand that they can trash the water often, so multiply that by 30 dozen and you have a nightmare to keep them alive for a long period of time..  If you live in town and have treated city water then you Will have transport good fresh water about every two weeks.. Also if you get them in late September or Early October you may have to figure out how to keep them cool and when it turns below 0 how to keep them from freezing.. So licence $20 + seines $40 system to keep them alive $60+++  If you live in the country and have creek that flows all year long maybe you could cut that in half

I great way to keep them is in an old chest freezer,  with a timer you can keep them cold and by adding an inter light you can keep them from freezing at any temp.. The hard part is keeping aerated water... and a filter pump...   Just some ideas from a guy that has killed way to many minnows by making all the right mistakes...
olefish

Offline branded

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Olefish is right on the money. Trapping minnows isnt as easy as all believe it to be. It takes some Time and gas to initially find them. Then you will have to keep checking your traps. When people see minnow traps for some reason they like to steal them. Also it is harder in the winter as they will tend to get froze in.

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2011, 08:37 AM »
Olefish is right on the money. Trapping minnows isnt as easy as all believe it to be. It takes some Time and gas to initially find them. Then you will have to keep checking your traps. When people see minnow traps for some reason they like to steal them. Also it is harder in the winter as they will tend to get froze in.

Something to think about when placing your minnie traps with a handful of dogfood or whatever you choose to use as bait is where do you see minnows in the summer in creeks and rivers? The answer is small pools with slow-moving water and just before rapids. If it's in a pond or lake, look for some shallow-water cover, punch a hole, drop your trap with a rope and piece of wood attached and come back in a few hours depending on how many you need. Just a few pennies worth.
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Offline coldweathergirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:17 PM »
That was not nice at all..... :( :( :( :( :(
Yes i'm a girl, and yes, i'll out fish you.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:03 PM »
I put traps in Boysen one day and they were stolen by the next.. I have a great  place to trap but its 34 miles one way and when the snow files it is no fun.. Here most the minnows come out of the irrigation canals when they shut the water off about first week of October.. They seine and net them by the thousands and the spots are hummm treated like a bank, and rightfully so.  When the ice sets on the lake I have never had much luck getting minnow but then I do not try then either.  I do not own any of the water I have got minnows from  in the past and can not say do not put your trap next to mine, but my ethics say to cast your line over mine is wrong. There is plenty of space to share and haft fun  and reward is the challenge.
olefish

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:01 PM »
about a month ago on deaver, I saw tons of minnows on my camera coming in to check out my jig. I use to keep some in a 55 gallon fish tank and let the kids catch them on small nymph hooks. I would imagine it is legal to get minnows this way ???

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2011, 07:20 AM »
My advice would be to get the regs and memorize the minnow part. They are very specific and somewhat complicated. But the wardens occasionally give out $110 lessons. :-)
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.