The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: colf front/ walleye bite  (Read 2273 times)

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
colf front/ walleye bite
« on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:15 PM »
alright, your opinions please.  I was thinking about going to hit yellowtail in the morning.  What will this cold snap do to the bite?  I have done well as fronts are coming in, and we were doing well down there while the weather was stable, but I wonder what it will be like tomorrow.  I will still probably try it, but trying to figure on how many minnows to get. ;D

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: colf front/ walleye bite
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:24 PM »
From my past walleye experience, it will be slow but worth going. This morning would have been a better walleye bite. Good luck and let us know how it went.
Thread killer

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:41 PM »
yeah, I think it will probably be a little slow.  I think sometimes a fresh coat of snow on ice that didnt have snow before messes things up worse, so I am hoping that since yellowtail already had snow on it, that shouldnt be a problem, so the barometric pressure should be the only thing that is screwing it up.  Oh well, I like chasing the walleye and sauger (and ling) better than trout anyway. 

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:05 PM »
The  front killed the bite at Boysen from 1pm till 10am today, not one fish...
olefish

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:43 PM »
bring it. finally.

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:50 PM »
The  front killed the bite at Boysen from 1pm till 10am today, not one fish...
not exactly what I wanted to hear olefish, but thanks... any words of encouragement, like you couldn't get any minnows and were using mealworms on your tipups, or you forgot your auger, or you broke 5 big ones off...anything? :-[

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:02 PM »
 We should turn this thread into a poll:   Dare and go fish..or...stay by the fire 'til the weather warms up.
  Some of my odd logic:  I can get skunked staying home too.  We don't know they aren't biting unless we go find out. I can get drunk on the ice, or stay home and do it..........oh no, that's not a good one to use here.
Thread killer

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:05 PM »
Maybe I'll go chase trout...they always bite.  It's only supposed to be -20 something with the wind chill.

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Last year we went out right after a huge storm system came through. We were on the walleye and they were still there, but it definitely affected them. Before when they came in on sonar they bit 99% of the time. Right after the front they would swim in, look at my lure, then swim up a foot and look at the barrel swivel for my leader.

Not sure what to think of this, but in hindsight I should have scaled down to my smallest jigging spoon, or tip a small jighead with a plain minnow.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:28 PM »
not exactly what I wanted to hear olefish, but thanks... any words of encouragement, like you couldn't get any minnows and were using mealworms on your tipups, or you forgot your auger, or you broke 5 big ones off...anything? :-[
Well I was holdin my mouth wrong, I did not spt on the hook, my minnows were having a bad scale day, and I WAS TROLLING TO FAST BEHIND THE 4WHEELER.
olefish

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:37 PM »
Thanks olefish,  That's good stuff...bad scale day.  I think we are going to go down and start a BIG fire, cook up some elk steaks and see if we can't jig up some sauger and walleye,  if we are lucky maybe we will see a flag go up a time or two as well.  Thanks for the info everyone.

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Well it was all for not.  Got up at 4 am, got to Lovell at about 5:30.  Got the minnow bucket out and walked in and they said they didn't have any minnows.  I called them the night before and they had told me they did have minnows.  It was about -30 wind chill so the gal may have not wanted to go get the minnows.   Anyway, a wasted trip down to lovell.  Instead we wound up at sunshine, freezing cold, so we sat in the frabill and knocked the snot outta the trout, had a blast.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Well it was all for not.  Got up at 4 am, got to Lovell at about 5:30.  Got the minnow bucket out and walked in and they said they didn't have any minnows.  I called them the night before and they had told me they did have minnows.  It was about -30 wind chill so the gal may have not wanted to go get the minnows.   Anyway, a wasted trip down to lovell.  Instead we wound up at sunshine, freezing cold, so we sat in the frabill and knocked the snot outta the trout, had a blast.
WHAT IS UP WITH THE GAL AT THE COUNTRY STORE?  WE'VE HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.  I WASN'T ABOUT TO TURN AROUND AND GO HOME AFTER COMING ALL THAT WAY ONLY TO HAVE HER TELL ME SHE DIDN'T HAVE ANY(WHEN THE NIGHT BEFORE SHE SAID THEY HAD PLENTY).  I PRESSURED HER A BIT AND SHE EVENTUALLY WENT BACK TO CHECK.  WHEN SHE CAME BACK I OVERHEARD HER TELL THE OTHER YOUNG CLERK THAT THEY HAD ABOUT 3 DOZEN BUT SHE WAS GOING TO TELL ME THERE WASN'T ANY LEFT!!  SINCE I OVERHEARD HER I TOLD HER I'D TAKE 2 DOZEN AND SHE SEEMED PISSED BUT DID IT ANYWAY.  SHOULDN'T BE THAT HARD, BUT SHE SEEMS LIKE IT'S NOT HER JOB TO GET MINNOWS.  WISH I COULD CONTACT THE OWNERS AND LET THEM KNOW SHE'S RUNNING OFF BUSINESS.  ALSO, FOR $6.50 A DOZEN THEY SHOULD BE MORE THAN WILLING TO GET 'EM.  SORRY, BUT I JUST HAD TO VENT WHEN I HEARD OTHERS WERE GETTING THE SAME TREATMENT.  THOUGHT IT WAS BECAUSE I WAS FROM OUT OF STATE!  GOOD FISHIN' - OH

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Someone else needs to sell minnows in Lovel.

Offline wyohikeit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:40 PM »
I have had the same experience in Lovell I just avoid that problem--- I like trout. ;)
Time on the ice is always worth more than money

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Someone else needs to sell minnows in Lovel.
don't tempt me

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:33 PM »
I wonder how much they make from each dozen.  I don't know who their supplier is.  that makes me mad, spent money for the gas and drove all the way down there, because they told me they had them, then they do that to me.  Feel like you have to tip them to get them to walk back and get minnows.  Oh well, they won't get my business from me.  I usually get my snacks there, just because because I can do it in one stop.  Wish that cathunter fishing shop was still in business there in lovell.

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:36 PM »
don't tempt me
Do it prospector!  I'll pay you $7.00 a dozen!  ;D

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2011, 12:06 AM »
you think minnows are bad, try ordering a breakfast burrito. the only customers that really get satisfaction are the teenagers buying beer. they are in the paper all the time.  :(

Offline mallardmuncher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:49 AM »
Try the guy in Powell at the Straw Igloo.  He usally has minnows and they are cheaper at $4.00 a dozen.  If you call him the night before he will tell if he has minnows and how to go about picking them up form him.
Fish tremble at the sound of my name

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:01 PM »
I lik e that guy, i go there every time I can.  Seems like people clean him out as soon as he gets em though.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:21 PM »
IF WYO DIDN'T HAVE SUCH TIGHT REGS ON MINNOWS, I'D BRING 'EM FROM MONTANA AND MEET YOU ALL AT THE LAKE!  MINNOWS ARE ON ME!
I STILL THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT WE CAN USE MONTANA MINNOWS ON THE MONTANA SIDE ACCESSED FROM THE NORTH END OF THE LAKE, BUT CAN'T USE 'EM IN WYO ON YELLOWTAIL WHICH IS A SHARED BODY OF WATER(OR EVEN BRING 'EM THRU TO GET TO BARRY'S).  I TRIED TELLING THE PARK RANGER HOW STUPID THAT LAW IS SINCE I WASN'T ABLE TO TEACH MY MONTANA MINNOWS TO STAY IN MONTANA WHEN THEY GET OFF THE HOOK.  SHE DIDN'T THINK IT WAS FUNNY.  I ALSO TOLD HER I TRIED SHOWING THOSE MINNOWS THE MT/WY LINE AND NOT TO CROSS IT, BUT ALL I GOT WAS DUMB LOOKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE BUCKET.  ONCE AGAIN, SHE DIDN'T THINK IT WAS FUNNY AND I FIGURED I'D BETTER QUIT BEFORE SHE STARTED WRITING TICKETS.  WHO KNOWS, SHE'D PROBABLY CITE ME FOR FAILURE TO FISH WITH INTELLIGENT MINNOWS ;D  IT'D BE ABOUT AS REASONABLE AS CITING ONE FOR USING MINNOWS FROM EITHER STATE ON EITHER END OF THE LAKE ???

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:41 PM »
That is interesting.  I always wondered how in the world I am supposed to get minnows to use for jiggin out of barry's.  If I buy them in wyo I am using minnows from the wrong state.  If I go up and buy montana minnows, and bring them down to put in at montana, then I am crossing state lines with live minnows.  It's enough to make ya go cross eyed.  It stinks because a lot of the minnow shops around here start running out of minnows once it gets cold, and the minnows are harder to get at.  Can get good minnows in Worland, but that is a bit out of the way.  I talked to the same gal I am betting, and told her that it is pushing more people to get their own seining licenses, and then there's a greater chance of introducing unwanted species into our lakes.  She laughed and told me she had checked some people earlier that had brown trout minnows mixed in their bait.  funny, unless it's a species you really don't want introduced.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:46 PM »
I beat my head against the wall every time I think about this law.  :cookoo: I believe the late Mark Henkle said it best in his nearly full page article in the Billings Gazette last season.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:58 PM »
Just to clarify,  I have had very friendly conversations with the park rangers down at yellowtail.  I don't mean to hack on them for this law, after all it's not their fault.  It just seems that common sense has been thrown out the window with regard to some of our fishing regs.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:32 PM »
Just to clarify,  I have had very friendly conversations with the park rangers down at yellowtail.  I don't mean to hack on them for this law, after all it's not their fault.  It just seems that common sense has been thrown out the window with regard to some of our fishing regs.
YOU ARE CORRECT PERKHUNTER.  THE PARK RANGERS ARE VERY FRIENDLY AND I WAS MERELY TRYING TO GET THEM TO SEE THE LAW FROM A CITIZENS/FISHERMANS POINT OF VIEW.  SHE WAS VERY NICE AS I VISITED WITH HER ABOUT IT AND IT REALLY IS NOT THEIR FAULT.  AS FOR USING WYO MINNOWS IN MT, YOU CAN STILL DO SO.  YOU MUST GET A FREE PERMIT FROM THE MT FWP OFFICE IN BILLINGS TO TRANSPORT MINNOWS PURCHASED IN WYO INTO MT.  IT'S A PAIN, BUT I BELIEVE THE PERMIT IS GOOD FOR MT'S LICENSE YEAR.  JUST WISH WYO WOULD OFFER THE SAME DEAL!  GOOD FISHIN' - OH

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Do not feel so sad about permits on minnows.  In my former state of origin, MI, each minnow dealer has to provide a permit with each sale and each fisherman has to have a permit with him when he fishes, or when he takes his minnows home to keep in his own pond. A paperwork nightmare in the long run.

Oh, and the great lakes are the main home of the zebra mussels we are now trying to hold at our state borders.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.