The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Alcova/Pathfinder  (Read 6033 times)

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
Alcova/Pathfinder
« on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Good evening everyone. Has anyone checked out Alcova or Pathfinder this past week?  Im gonna be in Casper in 2 weeks (the last Sat of the month) and am stoked to get out on the ice for the day.  It will be my first time fishing either through the ice so any and all advice would certainly be welcome.  Assuming that live bait (shiners, or whatever) will be difficult to find so ill prob be tipping my tip ups with night crawlers, and then jigging w/a spoon or the likes. Not looking for your favorite spot, just some general info that might help me have a fun afternoon.  Thanks a lot. Cheers,Chris

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
Re: Alcova/Pathfinder
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:40 PM »
 I think that the "Hawg Derby" is that weekend @ Pathfinder. Should find minnows in Alcova @ Slone's ( the Sinclair station). I have never ice fished Alcova, but had seen photos of some big boys taken there.   :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2010, 10:26 PM »
awesome, thanks man.

Offline Squirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:18 AM »
I fished both Pathfinder and Alcova this weekend.  Pathy was real slow.  Had a few flags in the morning but then the wind come up about noon. Did not ice any fish at Pathfinder.  Headed over to Black Beach at Alcova and had quite a few flags and iced (2) bows.  Usually, the bite is better at Alcova, but the fish are much smaller.  As for the ice, at Pathy it was about 12"+, and Alcova about 6"+.

Offline legerski82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:52 AM »
  Buddy and I fished pathfinder for twenty four hours this weekend caught bout twenty rainbows from two to five pounds.   Had atleast as many flags with no fish or wrapped up in brush or weeds and broke off.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:42 AM »
thanks guys, i appreciate the info.  I hope the ice on Alcova holds.  Looks like the weather is gonna be warm during the days for the next week +.  Id just as soon hit Pathfinder knowing the ice will likely be in better shape than Alcova but the tourny is that weekend, so ill hope for Alcova!!  Cheers,Chris

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:53 AM »
Tried my luck last night on the Sweetwater arm of Pathfinder. Fished from 4:30 til midnight. Setup in 12' of water and nabbed two trout off the jigging poles, and missed about 5 more. Chartreuse glow 1/8 oz. buckshot with a minnow head. Nothing on the tip-ups, although I did have a 7 inch sucker on on tip-up that had some gnarly teeth marks from the dorsal to the tail. That must have been that 13lb gator I was after! :roflmao: No flag up either. Real light biters. Was looking to hook a few gators, but them darn trout just can't stay away! Just never can get into the walleye out there. Most walleye I hear about coming out of Pathfinder in the hard-water season, come out of Bishop's and Sweetwater arm. Anyone of you guys have luck with those marbleyed critters?

Tight lines, Boys!
GO WYO!!

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Were at on the arm you fishin? By Arkansas bay?? How much water is back there?

Offline pathfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:42 AM »
Probably gonna head to pathy this Saturday, does any body know how the ice is?

Offline elway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:42 PM »
I fished alcova last weekend and there was 10" of ice, some of the edges were getting soft though.  I imagine pathfinder has a few more inches...

Offline JMaxxx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:55 PM »
i was there last weekend saturday... there was a good 16" at bishops point where we were, and about 12" close to the dam... all still in great condition

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2010, 04:26 AM »
I rarely hear about anyone catching eyes out of either res. 
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline pathfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:23 AM »
My uncle and i went to Alcova last year a few times trying to locate the eyes without much luck.  We decided to try Pathfinder and searched pretty hard before we found them.  We found the eyes on the opposite shore at Bishops Point in way shallow water like 5-10' the eyes were average size for the lake at around 18-21".  We tried to find them this year without any luck. 

Offline prm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2010, 03:41 PM »
tried bishops point on saturday. with 16 lines in the water we caught one rainbow in about 65 fow. had a few bites on the far side in shallow water as pathfinder suggested, even had the head bit off of one minnow.... if we were smart we wouldve stuck with that spot and tried a little harder and MAYBE caught some walleye, but decided to leave with the wind picking up. another day i guess. the ice was 15" and solid

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Has anyone been to alcova lately. I was just wondering what the ice was looking like out there.

Offline JMaxxx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:53 PM »
I was at alcova on saturday and there was about 10" in the bay we were fishing in, there was a guy and his two boys fishing down the beach from us and he said there was some open water at black beach though.....we ended up catching 5 bows and missed 4 others

Offline iceslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • will fish for food
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2010, 09:42 PM »
 i was out there on sat and in four hours i caught 18 nice sized bows.  on sunday  i fished for two hours an got 5 bows  i cant find the eyes
i ll fish the world but ill start right here

Offline BSTIME

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2010, 01:35 PM »
I went all the way to Walleye bay yesterday, via the Miracle mile. That's a long drive! I was hoping to find some eyes.  Its nice to see water in walleye bay again!
I Didn't catch any eyes, but caught  larger trout this time. We fished near the marina last weekend and caught a bunch of little stocker trout. This trip the trout were more like what we are used to at Pathfinder. All were 16 to 20 inch trout including one brown.

Caught my fish on tip-ups mostly, ( I gave up jigging and went to the truck to watch tip ups when the wind hit about 40 mph) I did catch one jigging with a buckshot jig. I lost ALOT of fish. I think my tip-up leaders need to be replaced. I use mono as a leader and it has been on there for over 2 years. I broke off 4 fish. STUPID. I also lost several fish at the hole that pulled the hook. Do you guys use leaders on tip ups or just tie your hook to the thick line?
Anyway had a fun day. Ice is about 18", but there is open water at the inlet, of course. I drove down about 4 miles to find good ice and a steeper looking bank with gravel and rock . I fished from 7 to 20 fow and had the most action in 7 to 14 fow. Caught the brown close to the bank in 7 FOW at dusk.

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:09 PM »
Nice. I need to hit pathfinder this year yet.

I use fluorocarbon leaders, 8lb test. If I am pursuing something bigger I jump to 14. If they got teeth you need to pay attention to the condition of you leaders.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Nice. I need to hit pathfinder this year yet.

I use fluorocarbon leaders, 8lb test. If I am pursuing something bigger I jump to 14. If they got teeth you need to pay attention to the condition of you leaders.

I agree I use Berkley vanish 14lb. fluorocarbon. Works great very strong and suppose to be invisable under water...

Offline elway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2010, 07:16 PM »
has anyone fished pathy or alcova lately?  I'm hoping to fish alcova 2morrow...

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2010, 12:30 AM »
How far of a drive is Glendo from Casper?

Seems like more people from up there would hit Glendo for a more consistent walleye bite.  Does the game and fish stock shad in either pathfinder or alcova?
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2010, 12:33 AM »
How far of a drive is Glendo from Casper?

Seems like more people from up there would hit Glendo for a more consistent walleye bite.  Does the game and fish stock shad in either pathfinder or alcova?
The drive from Glendo to Casper is about an hour.  On your shad question MJ i am not sure if they do or not but i have not heard of them stocking it. 

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2010, 01:02 AM »
Yeah I think I remember reading in a newsletter that they considered it but never have. 

The walleye in Glendo are so healthy without a doubt because of the shad dumpings.  They don't spawn very well in there (the shad - because of winterkill?) I'm pretty sure the G / F have to stock a supply of shad every year.

Same thing with the catfish up there .... quite healthy.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline stumpm2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2010, 09:26 AM »
I don't think that the G&F stock shad in Glendo on a regular basis.  I think enough big ones survive the winter to have a successful spawn.  I heard that they tried shad in Seminoe and Pathfinder, but they did not survive the winter.

Offline BSTIME

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2010, 12:23 PM »
I heard that Game and Fish is considering trying to stock shad (from Glendo) in Pathfinder again this year. Will let you know what more I hear.

I fished Pathfinder on Thursday. slooooow. No fish at all. Fished 5 different spots. From south of Canyon Creek about five miles, even went across to the west side (big patch of open water over there, be careful) all the way back to the big point at Canyon Creek bay. Caught one crayfish. Tried jigging and tipups , varied depths  5 fow to 35'. Just not biting that day I guess.  Ice was good  (18 inches at least) except for that open water spot, also there are some areas of pressure ridges at the shore line that have open water around them.

Offline bird man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2010, 11:01 PM »
I fished Alcova last Thursday for a couple hours in the afternoon with not much luck.  Friday and Saturday I fished Pathfinder and did great both days.  Friday I caught about 12 trout with the largest being 20".  Saturday I fished the morning until 11am and caught about 20 Rainbows with the largest being 21". 
The Bird Man ®

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.