The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: vex or marcum or graph  (Read 900 times)

Offline MR.FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
vex or marcum or graph
« on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:34 PM »
looking to buy something  and know nothing about them what works

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: vex or marcum
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:37 PM »
They all work  ;).  Have pick one with features you like

Offline MR.FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: vex or marcum or graph
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:41 PM »
I understand that they  work thats why I am getting 1 but that do I need to buy the top of the line or is the mid range just as good

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Whatever is in your budget is best, A flasher in mho is easiest to start with.
:icefish:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:49 PM »
I understand that they  work thats why I am getting 1 but that do I need to buy the top of the line or is the mid range just as good
You don't "need" the top of of the line - BUT you may like/want it.  The newer technology digital machines that can mimic a flasher display and put up a vertical display of the water column and or a traditional graph display?
I used a traditional flasher for years and two years ago went with a Marcum LX7 (LX6 is the same technology just smaller screen) and I just love the graph display and that gives a "history" of what has happened.
The one thing about the digital displays is that they can be difficult to see in the bright sun.  I'm in a shelter nearly all the time, or I sit making shade on the display.
Whatever you get, it will be a huge addition to your arsenal of fishing equipment.  It doesn't have to be the last one you ever purchase either.

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:20 PM »
In my opinion, the trend the industry is moving in, is toward LCD/TFT screens. Even hardcore flasher companies like Marcum have flagship products that are now LCD/TFT screens. They can program any type of display on there - a circle that imitates a traditional flasher or a graph that appears like a traditional boat based fish finder.

I would recommend any LCD/TFT screen style unit. Now, you have to decide which one fits your budget and meets your needs. Marcum make a very well-liked unit that is super simple to use - its their Showdown Troller 2.0. It costs around $200. It has an LCD screen showing the water column in a vertical display.

They also have many others in their lineup but their prices are higher, and they have many more features.

Personally, I have a Lowrance x67c Ice Machine. Lowrance has replaced this unit with the Lowrance Elite 4-X Ice Machine. It is around $300 ($50 rebate going on now, so $250 really). I love my Lowrance, so I am biased. It was a great price for a very feature filled product. Has both flasher mode and graph mode.

As far as I know, Vexilar still only sells traditional flashers for use on ice. They do sell LCD unit for boat use, and also sell underwater cameras in their lineup.

Tight Lines.

Offline MR.FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:00 PM »
thanks for the info

Offline mickmickl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:06 PM »
I have a vexilar and a hummingbird 597hd. When it comes to using the sonar I find my self grabbing the vexilar. But they are all good. Get whatever is in your budget.

Offline Craig M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:33 PM »
In my opinion, the trend the industry is moving in, is toward LCD/TFT screens. Even hardcore flasher companies like Marcum have flagship products that are now LCD/TFT screens. They can program any type of display on there - a circle that imitates a traditional flasher or a graph that appears like a traditional boat based fish finder.

I would recommend any LCD/TFT screen style unit. Now, you have to decide which one fits your budget and meets your needs. Marcum make a very well-liked unit that is super simple to use - its their Showdown Troller 2.0. It costs around $200. It has an LCD screen showing the water column in a vertical display.

They also have many others in their lineup but their prices are higher, and they have many more features.

Personally, I have a Lowrance x67c Ice Machine. Lowrance has replaced this unit with the Lowrance Elite 4-X Ice Machine. It is around $300 ($50 rebate going on now, so $250 really). I love my Lowrance, so I am biased. It was a great price for a very feature filled product. Has both flasher mode and graph mode.

As far as I know, Vexilar still only sells traditional flashers for use on ice. They do sell LCD unit for boat use, and also sell underwater cameras in their lineup.

Tight Lines.

Another vote for the LCDs from me, I also have the Lowrance X67C and love it.  My reason for getting a graphing unit was I didn't like watching a wheel.  As for usability, I can't tell you which is better a vex or graph but I can say I match up pretty well to my brother who uses a FL-18.  So I'm echoing what everyone else is saying, get what you like that has the features you think you'll need and you'll be very happy.

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:46 AM »
both are pretty frickin good go with the best value, showdowns are cool but try to go bigger, like vex but own Marcum got camera and it works good as well

Offline bent hook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2013, 01:47 AM »
Vexilar how could you go wrong.  Bullet proof fish finders
Shut up and fish!!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:54 AM »
I have the plain ol' FL8. It was affordable and works great, does the job. You can always start with a simple machine, get use to things and maybe in the future purchase a high end model.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline GVSUgeorged

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:07 AM »
I've used everything from a Marcum vx-1 to a lx-7. I do believe Marcum offers the best products but as far as what machine to get, all depends on your price range.  With that said, there nothing wrong with a vex.  Anything it better then nothing.  You won't regret getting on!
Fish Long, Fish Hard.  Sleep. AND DO IT AGAIN!

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:22 AM »
I bought the Marcum. Why? I like the colors :>) Am I happy with it? You bet. Is it better than the Vex? I call it a tie. Both quality products and the owners of each can justify why theirs is better but I was hard pressed to find any cold hard facts. You wont be disappointed with any of your choices.

Offline bigrich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:54 PM »
I have a lowerance and a fl8. I like to use the fl8 when I am in search mode because it is simple to use. Once I find my spot out comes the lms337 because I like jigging in graph mode.

Offline shibes24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2013, 07:53 AM »
I have a low ranch x-15 that has to be at least 10-12 years old.  Does the trick wonderfully.  I like the graph myself.  Never been a big fan of the circular flasher, probably because I've only used them a couple of times with buddies.  Any electronics will help you catch a ton more fish.  I would say that there is no need to break the bank for electronics.  Others may disagree however because it really is a personal preference.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Another vote for Lowrance. love my x67c..graph and flasher, can switch easily back and forth for a change. Just super cool to play with.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Let me say I'm a flasher guy been using 'em for icefishing since I bought my first Green Box "Lo-K-tor" many, many moons ago. It's just easier for me to read the blips then try to decipher them squiggly lines and these tired old eyes just don't adapt well to squinting at the screen when more than a few feet away. The blips on todays flashers are bright and easy to see.

Used an FL-8 Vex for near 20 yrs and my son still is using it today give Vex an A+ for durability. The FL-8 really did everything I needed it to do. But the lure of new advancements such as more power, anywhere in the column zoom, brighter display, super fine line, and dual transducer got to me and I bought an LX-5 I've had it for 2 seasons now and am really pleased with it, nary a problem so far.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline outfishin_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:06 PM »
I bought the Lowrance Elite 4 Ice Machine last year.. I love the flasher mode and being able to switch to graph mode with a push of a button. Plus it has a built in GPS.

Offline MR.FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:17 PM »
thatnks for all the help I think im going with the lowerance elite 4 looks to be the best for the money

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.