The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Tired of cleaning gills.........  (Read 11051 times)

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Tired of cleaning gills.........
« Reply #60 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:16 PM »
I AGREE ...

Offline ArticusMedicus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:48 PM »
I have Strong feeling about CO's and I let it shine through. Sorry for the "through the ice" portion.

I have fixed it for you.

Hate Mi. Co's with a passion. And before you ask, no I have never been ticketed by them.

I hope they all (edit for those with thin skin) get abducted and dissected by aliens.

Nothing but revenue generators for a crooked system. And a HUGE waste of tax payers money.
Yea, I'm a bit of a rebel.

Brown Coat to the bone!!

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:19 PM »
Bottom line is a law was broken ( technicality or not ) a ticket was issued .
Lesson learned , no go fishing and have some fun .
No ticket was issued.......really doesnt matter though....just count your fish and dont go over the limit.  if someone "gifts"  fish to you, count again and only take up to your limit.......end of conversation
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #63 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:06 PM »
No ticket was issued.......really doesnt matter though....just count your fish and dont go over the limit.  if someone "gifts"  fish to you, count again and only take up to your limit.......end of conversation
:clap: :clap:  well said   :clap: :clap:

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #64 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:28 PM »
I have Strong feeling about CO's and I let it shine through. Sorry for the "through the ice" portion.

I have fixed it for you.

Thanks, but your true colors have already "shined through".

M.I.R.C. 

Offline ArticusMedicus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:49 PM »
It's the real me. I'll never pretend to be something nor someone I'm not.
My Sig line says it all and I'm proud of it!
Yea, I'm a bit of a rebel.

Brown Coat to the bone!!

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #66 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:02 PM »
I see.  PM sent.

M.I.R.C. 

Offline KURT SCHELL

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife say's I tune out even the little voices.
« Reply #67 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:41 PM »
I have spent countless hours in the outdoors of the great state of Michigan, and had many bad encounters with our co's, even though I never recieved at ticket or citation.  I grew up a Cops son, which means I grew up around police officers and federal agents. My father was a cop for 28 years.  99 % of the co's I have met in the field have trampled my rights in one way or another.  A few years ago at Point Moulee a young c.o. was standing by my truck as I was leaving a duck hunt using the draw system.  He stated he saw me drop a drake woody and complmented on the shot, he asked how the hunt went and we made small talk for awhile.  And just like he said he needed to go, I said thank you to him and he was puzzled and asked me why?  I responed that he never asked for my license or stamps and assumed I was a law abidding citizen.  That mean't alot to me! and I made sure he heard that and understood that.
PLEASE NO DISTRACTIONS, FISHING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 16, 2010, 11:24 PM »
Ok the limit thing was a joke just for clerification.
 Anyways I know there are some jerks in the bunch as far as COs Cops and so on goes but I learned in the Marines that out of anything you do or anyone you meet 10% of them atleast will be morons, idiots or jerks. So that being said if you ignore those then they are all just ultimately doing there job and the law states in no pun intended more or less very clearly what is expected of us and how to obide by the laws.

It was an honest mistake, leason learned, it's not a big deal.
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline JKneibel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 16, 2010, 11:33 PM »
the last 4 days I have caught limits of nice gills but after 3 days of  fileting them I had enough.   There a couple of old timers I see on a regular basis and have talked to quite often.   In many conversations they have mentioned to me they like fishing but have a hard time staying on the ice for more than a hour or so at a time, so today i gave them my 25 to split as they had about 10 on the ice and were packing up.   So after chatting a bit and walking back to the vehichles I see a CO truck sitting there and he asks how I / we did.  Then he asks me what I gave the 2 guys and so I tell him my limit of 25.  He then asks to see the fish and the one guy shows him and the co then wants them counted so they dump them out on the tailgate and he counts 31 and his partner counts 6 in his bucket.  The co then goes on to issue a ticket to the one guy for having too many fish in his possesion.   After explaining to the co I had given "MY LIMIT TO SPLIT" he was being a real a#% and the reason they were in the bucket it was because the other guy only had a bag with him.  After about 30 minutes of disputing this with the co he finally lets it go, I dont usually like to complain about the co's but there are too many who are on a pwoer trip. 

I dont know but trying to be nice can really bite you in the a$# sometimes

You know you are only allowed to have 1 day's limit in possession right???  3 limits in 3 days is 50 over the limit.  Maybe you should check the rules.  Or practice some catch and release.
A bad day fishing and drinking beer is better than a good day at work!

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 16, 2010, 11:37 PM »
Good Point ^^^^
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:05 AM »
good thing they don't look in my freezer..

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:18 AM »
so here is a brain teaser for you..... went to the fish farm back in the summer and bought some fish for my pond. My pond now has over 50 bluegills in it. Seeing as how the pond in on my property does that but me over my limit?? and I am no longer allowed to fish lakes for bluegills?

Offline TntBull

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:04 AM »
Pretty hot topic!!  Seems everyone has their own way of thinking here! I dunno yes they are doin thier job, but some seem to take it to far!! Can't tell me they know they can be buttheads when they want and no one can stop them!!  ;D

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:14 AM »
You know you are only allowed to have 1 day's limit in possession right???  3 limits in 3 days is 50 over the limit.  Maybe you should check the rules.  Or practice some catch and release.

Just out of curiosity then, how many gills or perch do the average fisherman have in the freezer?   Or not to mention smelt with the 2 gallon limit?   From what I have seen here there can be 10 people with different interpretations of how the law reads.   Yes it is in black / white but interpretation on possesion is different, technically having 50 gils in the freezer would be in my possesion putting me 25 over.   
[IMG]]

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #75 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:34 AM »
I believe this topic should be put to rest....
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:40 AM »
I believe this topic should be put to rest....

Just curious but why?  I dont see anyone trashing or being rude to other members.   I could care less as there seems to be many different opinions
[IMG]]

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:42 AM »
It has been my experence that the possession limit is mostly enforced on visitors to a lake. Most of the local fishermen have more fish in their freezers than the legal possession limit. I have witnessed the dnr checking cabins at a resort and then going down to the pier and waiting for the guest to come in and checking them for their limits. It is far easier to check the guests at a resort for limits(cabins/freezers) than it is to check the locals. I have talked to several dnr folks about this and they agree it happens. Some even stated that the locals rely on fish and game taken to survive the winter months(lay-off periods).

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #78 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Yes, this is an interesting topic.Lots of valid points and opinions. But I'll go back to the original issue.

The men probably should have divided them up immediately...I happen to use a bag all the time to carry my fish...problem would have been avoided. Was the CO being a jerk about it?...Maybe...Probably.Bu t he was going by the book...25 fish,daily limit,per person. However...

Principal at school...unruly child...warning or discipline?
Policeman...traffic violation...warning or citation?
Employer...excessive absence...warning or discipline?
Judge...misdemeanor offense...warning or discipline?
CO...limit violation...warning or ticket?

My answer to all the above? Discretion...and in all cases...it is allowed,as there is somtimes flexibility in minor violations of the rules/law. I may or may not like the decision, but I will accept it...it just wasn't my day.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #79 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:37 AM »
What if 3 guys went fishing and put all of there fish in one bucket to be cleaned and split up when they got home??  Thats what we do...

What about when we are fishing in the boat (2 or 3 guys) and all the fish are put in the live well to be brought home and cleaned and split up???
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #80 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:40 AM »
What if 3 guys went fishing and put all of there fish in one bucket to be cleaned and split up when they got home??  Thats what we do...

What about when we are fishing in the boat (2 or 3 guys) and all the fish are put in the live well to be brought home and cleaned and split up???
if the limit was 25 fish per man and you had 75 fish total and all three people were present you would be fine but if you had two people because one gave you his fish and went home you are now illegal .

Offline Left/Center

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:00 AM »

Here in Michigan, a conservation officer checked my 3 buddies after a perch trip and they each had 48 fish apiece in separate buckets, the C.O. said lucky for them they were separate because he would've wrote the boatowner a overlimit ticket. Keep em divided boys.

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:00 AM »
if the limit was 25 fish per man and you had 75 fish total and all three people were present you would be fine but if you had two people because one gave you his fish and went home you are now illegal .

I would tend to agree with you, however if a co interprets the individual carrying the pale or in possesion of the bucket at the time of question he is responsible for the 75 fish.  Is that reading too much into it? maybe but according to what I was told in this situation that is how it is, technically each individual should have their catch seperate from the others so if you are on a boat each should have their own cooler or stringer.   To me it makes sense but doesnt make sense in the regard that some common sense should be used but in todays society that is something lacking :o.   3 guys = 75 fish in one bucket = 3 legal limits but not everyone sees it the same way
[IMG]]

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #83 on: Feb 17, 2010, 03:46 PM »
Here in Michigan, a conservation officer checked my 3 buddies after a perch trip and they each had 48 fish apiece in separate buckets, the C.O. said lucky for them they were separate because he would've wrote the boatowner a overlimit ticket. Keep em divided boys.
That was me.... I also brought up walleye fishing to the CO and if 3-4 guys on my boat we use 1 cooler.... He told me that they each need their own cooler unless you have each one tagged showing which belongs to who.... again this guy was a total hard on so not sure how hard that is enforced... I now put mine in the livewell just to play it safe

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 17, 2010, 06:22 PM »

im gunna guess your a CO or one of your buddys is. Pretty biased statement by you im gunna say. The guy was on a power trip they think they are all mighty. but really arent you allowed 50 in posession if you share a bucket. maybe im wrong. but the CO was too big headed it sounds like to understand the complete situation. He wanted money for the state. Arent the courts part of the state. ????????

As stated im not a CO, I do have CO's who I would consider acquaintances, whom would probably have let it slide, BUT  I would stand by their decision to enforce if they so choose. Im admittedly in Law Enforecement and hear excuses day in and out......and they are just that Excuses..... Also when dealing with people, someone whos calm, truthful, and not just making excuses about why they can justify what they did is far more likely to be on their way than someone who is defensive, aggressive or story changes every 3 seconds....

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:40 PM »
As stated im not a CO, I do have CO's who I would consider acquaintances, whom would probably have let it slide, BUT  I would stand by their decision to enforce if they so choose. Im admittedly in Law Enforecement and hear excuses day in and out......and they are just that Excuses..... Also when dealing with people, someone whos calm, truthful, and not just making excuses about why they can justify what they did is far more likely to be on their way than someone who is defensive, aggressive or story changes every 3 seconds....
this guy didnt need to make an excuse, the CO watched the entire story line unfold through his bi-noculars.....really was no need to be big headed to a couple of old timers
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #86 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:50 PM »
Unless he doesn't like old people....   :o

M.I.R.C. 

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:56 PM »
ha, that's funny..

Offline afishhawk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:49 PM »
If anything I guess I will keep my fish separate from the people I fish with and I should not have a problem.  Does that mean while salmon fishing we all have  to have separate coolers?

Good point !!!!  What about out in lake Michigan perch fishing with 5 guys on the boat, Do we need 5 coolers to be legal ??
No one realisticly would do that. Theres not enough room.

Offline woodstock1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:59 PM »
Been on charter boats, they don't do that...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.