Author Topic: Boots with Ankle Support???  (Read 1245 times)

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Boots with Ankle Support???
« on: Oct 28, 2017, 10:10 AM »
I have a bad ankle and I don't want it to slow me down on the ice (uneven surfaces, slipping, etc.). Anyone have any recommendations for a cold weather rubber boot that fits the bill? I have a set of Mucks that keep my feet warm and dry, but seriously lack in the ankle support category.

Any advice or practical experience is appreciated.

d1

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: Boots with Ankle Support???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2017, 10:13 AM »
I use a pair of imation sheep skin boots for walking on the ice as long as there isn't snow and slush and when I get to my spot I switch over to my micky mouse surplus boots. They are heavy but warm and have pretty good side to side support.
Thread killer

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2017, 10:20 AM »
Do you have room inside your muck boots to wear a ankle brace? ( maybe you are already wearing one) Many different styles of ankle support braces on Amazon to look at.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2017, 10:54 AM »
x2 on the brace. Traction devices too, Yaktrax, STABILicers, etc.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2017, 12:03 PM »
i think the problem is you bought slip on boots.
tie on pack boots will provide much better support. mine feel like ski boots if i tie them up all of the way and you control how tight for how much support you want from them. i add kold kutters ice racing screws to my boots so i am protected any where i go and not just on lakes. i bought mine on amazon for 20$ for 250 ct in 3/8".

my other tie on boots feel like ski boots too, but are not as warm. only the pack boots are the warmest of the tie on style. that i have used.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2017, 09:18 AM »
i think the problem is you bought slip on boots.
tie on pack boots will provide much better support. mine feel like ski boots if i tie them up all of the way and you control how tight for how much support you want from them. i add kold kutters ice racing screws to my boots so i am protected any where i go and not just on lakes. i bought mine on amazon for 20$ for 250 ct in 3/8".

my other tie on boots feel like ski boots too, but are not as warm. only the pack boots are the warmest of the tie on style. that i have used.

The slip on rubber boots keep my feet dry when drilling holes.  What type of pack boots do you have that are water proof? I like the idea of using kold kutters in the soles.

I can use a ankle brace with the Mucks, but it is very difficult to get my foot in the boot do to lack of flexibility in my ankle. 

d1

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2017, 10:07 AM »

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2017, 10:39 AM »
these are the pac boots that are the warmest, but water will seep in thru the tongue area becuase it is nylon cordora and it takes a long time to feel it. maybe even the next day, so you have to dry them out every day. i just take them
apart and lay them stacked in front of a forced air heat register and they are ready and warm the next day.
these are 1200 grams insulation and a wool insert and then the 9mm pac that is wool and aluminum that bounces heat back in and cold back out. other then getting water from the auger getting inside, they have been nice boots. i did have to buy a size 13 and i only wear 11.5. cabela says to order up one size.
cabelas claims they are 100% water proof, so maybe mine are defective.
i have other lace up boots that stay dry inside, but are not as warm because they are not of the pac design.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/footwear/mens-footwear/mens-pac-winter-boots/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/103959180/cabelas-predator-extreme-pac-boots-brown/722130.uts?slotId=9

kold kutters. they use the same picture for the different length screws. they are hardened and sharp and you'll have spares for if you loose any or want to replace them for when they get dull. i use a bit driver to install them on my boots. heel and toes are key when designing where to place them besides the flat of the foot.
https://www.amazon.com/Kold-Kutter-Snowmobile-Traction-Screws/dp/B008N6AQXO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509291020&sr=8-2&keywords=kold+kutter

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Mickey Mouse boots are lace-up and have good ankle support, they are about the warmest boots out there, are water proof and cheap. I wear them everyday all winter long, have not found anything that works any better.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2017, 04:48 PM »
Mickey Mouse boots are lace-up and have good ankle support, they are about the warmest boots out there, are water proof and cheap. I wear them everyday all winter long, have not found anything that works any better.
I have had my pair of micky mouse boots for 27 years now, the eyelets are a little dry cracked  but all things function quite well.  I think I paid $30 for them at a place that fixed old TV sets.  Mu dad had a box of oats and each night he would dump both boots full to absorbe the moisture. In the day time the box of oats would dry near the heater. It worked surprisingly well.

Its hard to beat an old tradition, I also am always hunting for wool sweaters and I have a few pair of wool gloves. Hard to beat the old army surplus mittens, the ones with the beaver fur on the back.   Alas, I don't have any of the red and black woolen coat and pants that JC Pennys had for decades, hence some relation to the term "dyed in wool" I have digressed from the intent of the thread. 

Ever see a pair of the leather lace up boots that were nearly 20 inches tall?  One greased that heck out of them a few times and with the leather tongue being sewn up both sides and a good slathering of grease, they were water proof and had good ankle support when laced up tight.  I think they were the era of the 1880's to about the late 50's.  Loggers and other woodsmen wore them.  Is Herters still in business?  Tradition is fun sometimes. Please pass the bear grease....or was it goose fat.
Thread killer

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Can't go wrong with Mickey's or bunny boots (white Mickey's). Definitely have the ankle support you are looking for like all military boots that I have worn.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2017, 08:01 AM »
Thanks to all for the replies.  You have given me more to consider.  Thanks again.

d1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.