The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Dealing with milfoil  (Read 1073 times)

Offline woodslizard

• IceShanty Rookie
Dealing with milfoil
« on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Anyone spear in lakes with heavy milfoil?? The lake I spear is really infested and it seems like when the lake ices over and the milfoil starts to die it really murks up the water. Put shack out Saturday and have yet to see a pike even though the kids were catching smaller ones on tipups around the shack. Visibily is a bout 8 feet but there are orange - yellow clouds floating around (from the milfoil dying??).  The last couple of years have been like this early ice and the spearing seems to get a lot better as the water clears. The fish are active as I have been catching crappies in the spear shack. Anyone else have this type of experince in lakes with heavy milfoil??
American by birth, yooper by the grace of god.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Dealing with milfoil
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:10 PM »
None here waiting to go spearing. Kinda hard to spear from a boat.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:25 PM »
If you have current in this lake I would try to put the shanty some where else it

Offline woodslizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:27 PM »
It is an issue that I don't really mind, the fishing will pick up when the water clears up. The worst part is that I have 2 spots marked in my gps that were really hot spots and now I can't spear them because the milfoil is to thick in those spots.
American by birth, yooper by the grace of god.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:18 PM »
It has made fishing harder year around in some of the lakes I fish. Should find and tar and feather the person who first dumped it in our waters. :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.