Author Topic: Toyota Tacoma  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Toyota Tacoma
« on: Nov 13, 2006, 02:54 PM »
Any opinions on this truck? How is the 4WD system? I have a Grand Cherokee, and te 4WD on it is amazing!

It may be time to replace my near 10 year old Jeep and I expect this to be the last truck I buy. So many decisions. Access cab has the 6' bed, so I can put a camper on it for sleeping in, but there is very little room for extra passengers. The crew cab or whatever it is called has too short a bed, not even my snowboards would fit in the back :(

And I don't want an overly long truck so the crew cab long bed is out.

I know reliability isn't a problem, what about any other issues?

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Toyota Tacoma
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2006, 03:15 PM »
I have a tundra and love it.  The trucks are built great with very little problems.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline blackbeltman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2006, 03:29 PM »
buy american and stay with a jeep!!!!!!!!!!!
Muskies............  the enternal drain in my wallet, the only fish in existence that has more mood swings than a woman and lastly all other fish is just bait!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Ditto what Tucker said.  The ride is better than my wife's car.  Mileage is only 12-16 but will pull a two place like you don't even know its there.  As an added bit of info., my Tundra was made in Indianapolis I believe.

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2006, 05:32 PM »
with the access cab, do they have a airbag kill switch so my boy can ride up front with me? I was at a dealership the otehr day and couldn't get anyone to help me  :(

Which means I will do my research online and use one of those sites to get the truck near cost. I'm not paying for customer service if I'm not getting any. It's not just toyota though, the Jeep and GM dealerships were the same. The only place they talk to me is the Acura dealership, I'd buy an acura truck if they made one  :D

The tundra is a bit big for me, otherwise I would love one. Gas mileage is a big consideration.

Offline oleycow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:25 PM »
My son has a Tacoma.  Has had it for about 4 years and has no complaints.  Would buy another one but wonders if he will ever have too.

camo_fish

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2006, 06:23 AM »
Camo_fish has or was looking at getting a Rav4.
The Rav4 is the wife's new SUV.
I have a 2000 Tacoma 4wd 4cyl 5 speed stick with 75500 miles on it and love it.  ;D
I pull a 17' bass tracker during the summer and have pulled a snowmoblie and trailer before without any problem in a snow storm with 4" - 5" of snow on the road, with BigRed in the pass. seat.
So a Tacoma or Tundra would be a great reliable truck.  :thumbsup:

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2006, 06:55 AM »
I just got the tacoma access cab with the off road package.  Traded my dakota in.  I like the Toyota better so far, only 1,800 miles.  4WD is good, it has a locking rear differential.  The airbag can be turned off on the passanger side.  I like how the rear doors open up to access the back seats.  They fold flat also, so there will be plenty of room when my new pup comes this spring.

I'm getting 19mpg with a little 4wd driving, mainly 25-40 mile trips.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline joekrz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CONSCIOUSNESS: The annoying time between fishing
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2006, 07:56 AM »
Toyota is known for making the most reliable vehicles available.  I wouldn't hesitate to get it at all.   My last Toyota had 200,000 miles on it.  In the life of that vehicle, it went through 3 sets of tires, 2 mufflers and one set of front brake pads.  Otherwise, all I ever had to do was put in gas and change the oil.  One of the most problem free vehicles I have ever owned.  Unfortunately the family got bigger, so I had to trade up to a full size truck with more towing capacity, so I ended up with the Nissan Titan.

Fishmon

« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:30 AM »
Check out the Tundra access cab with short bed.  It is really a mid-size Truck.  Bed is still 6+ feet and truck is not overly long compared to Ford F-150 or Chevy Silverado.  Great engine and they are offering rebates and thing will fit in garage.

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2006, 11:06 AM »
Tundra is a nice truck, gas mileage is a killer though. Why can't we get the efficient diesels here :(

Offline joekrz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CONSCIOUSNESS: The annoying time between fishing
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Tundra is a nice truck, gas mileage is a killer though. Why can't we get the efficient diesels here :(

Gas mileage on the Tundra isn't any worse than the Tacoma to be that big of a deal.

Check out the side by side comparison at

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:12 PM »
What amazes me is how fuel economy has improved so little over the past 10 years. :(

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:18 PM »
I have a 95 tacoma  that I bought brand new  4cyl ext cab 5 speed    just hit 150,000 miles Ive pulled a 20 ft maxum cuddy  cabin ,2 place sled, jet ski trailers never been waxed an no rust any where...only wish I got the 6 cyl..11 years ago ;D
How are the edges ?

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2006, 08:54 PM »
I had a 95 & just traded for a frontier, the tacoma was excellent & got 230k out of her with no problems and great in the snow. Just got a better deal on the frontier, or i would of got another tacoma, and so far it's great to.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2006, 09:41 PM »
I finally retired my '92 4Runner (168K mi.) last May and would have bought a Tacoma (shopped like heck to find a deal), but it cost just too much.  >:(  Sad, because that was the third Toyota I owned ('87 MR2, 91 Corolla).  Great vehicles. All of them. But I got a deal on a '06 Ranger that couldn't compete.  One thing that always bothered me about Toyotas was the timing belt, and the fact that it needed regular replacement.  If you had it done, it wasn't cheap.  I seriously considered the 4 cylinder Tacoma because I think it has a chain vs belt (I think), but it all boiled down to the closest Toyota dealer to camp (since the truck was going to live at the camp) was 120 miles away, closest Ford dealer was 70.  The price of the Ranger was way below what a 3-4 year old Tacoma with lots of miles on it.  Ask me in a few years after I've had more experience with the Ranger.  I drove it all summer to work and back, and really didn't want to leave it up at camp because I enjoyed driving it so much, but I wanted up at camp during the winter for ice-fishing, and wanted my drive-way Wit one less vehicle to shovel around....

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:43 AM »
I drove Tacoma's between 1993 - 2004 and may never drive another one! This time I went to the four door Tundra. Now I got myself used to going everywhere the Tacoma does with the feeling of riding on a cloud.
Toyota's are as close to a maintenance free truck as you can get.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jiggin617

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:08 PM »
I bought an 06 Tacoma Double Cab three months ago. This is my first Toyota and so far I'm pleased. The gas mileage is just as good as my 00 Taurus. I liked the Tundra's as well but decided on the Tacoma.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2006, 07:56 PM »
toyota tacomas all the way

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:21 AM »
I've got a 2000 with over 160K and it's still running strong.  Don't hesitate if you like the size of the Tacomas.  I'd recommend an extended cab though. 

Offline -ADKIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get Some....
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:25 PM »
I am thinking of getting one myself. I have a 4runner sport which I love. MY entire family both parents, bothers, sisters, in-laws ect.. all drive 'yotas!!!
--------------------
Rob K out!

15lb. mono leader for me!

"Its all in how you wiggle your worm!"

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:19 PM »
got a 2006 tacoma new traded in a 2001 dakota couldn't be happier.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:40 PM »
buy american and stay with a jeep!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so you're aware, more parts on the Tacoma are made in the US than on the Jeep most likely.  As the big US manufaturers outsource, foreign brands are moving here to reduce transport costs and to claim "American-built" status.  Hyundai is the latest to do this - their Sonatas and Santa Fes are built in Alabama.  Significant portions of most Chrysler vehicles are built in Mexico, Canada, etc.

That said, I have a Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 and I love it.  Best vehicle I've ever had.  Worst mileage of any vehicle I've ever owned though - I average about 15 mpg.  The Tacoma should at least hit 20 mpg from time to time, and has been consistently rated the best small truck over the last few years by JD Power, Consumer Digest, etc.

Offline azz7772

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2007, 01:16 PM »
this is what i got this year it is awsome in the snow and gets 20miles per gallon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.