The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: weather  (Read 5392 times)

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
weather
« on: Dec 06, 2023, 03:22 PM »
Looks like another dismal year here in PA , just like last year all the cold air comes into the country and runs right to the southern end of Texas . Then retreats back north and  no cold comes east of Ohio. then a weak cold front comes east with modified polar air , not arctic air , and we are left with air barley cold enough to make ice . Look for this to continue till Feb.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: weather
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2023, 09:08 AM »
I don’t know what you’re looking at, but the Accuweather forecast for January is looking pretty good!  @) Probably won’t be on the ice before Christmas like last year, but should be the first week of January............... ..

Where's the FISH?!

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2023, 10:29 AM »
 So it begins!!!   :D

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2023, 02:24 PM »
I sure hope them temps hold true for January. Sure don't want another season like last year.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2023, 05:27 PM »
mitcher, get used to it.

55 years ago if you'd a told me there'd be open water on Glendale Lake in Feb I'd a asked you what you were smokin'.

When I started ice fishing Glendale would have at least 15 inches of hard ice by Feb 01. When was the last time Glendale had 6 inches?  The climate has changed.  If you deny that you are kidding yourself or you have been manipulated by disinformation.  I'll not get into an argument about WHY,  but there is no honest way to deny climate change.

Winters in PA are a lot milder than they used to be and they will become even warmer as time goes on...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2023, 09:24 PM »
I know what it use to be like back in the 70's, I agree with you 100%. All i said is i hope it is not as bad as last year... Tight lines and be safe.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2023, 07:17 AM »
I did not intend to point my remarks at you mitcher.  Sorry if it came off that way.  The "you" I referenced was meant to be "the general population".

Should have worded my comment better.

It's just a shame that my grandson won't have the same opportunities I had... and there's nothin' I can do about it but shake my fist at the sky...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2023, 02:35 PM »
From the late 60's through the early 80's it was cold , colder then it was before and since 1977 , 78 , and 1979 being the coldest year ever . What we have now is not climate change , but a shift in weather patterns . You can't judge today with the late 70's it was never that cold before. that's why lying NOAH always starts its graphs in 1979 to make it look like a great deal of warming has happened . But if they were to start their graphs in say 1920 or 1940 there would show no warming .

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2023, 03:09 PM »
The climate of earth has been going through heat and cool cycles much longer than humans have been on earth. In the 70s they were clamoring about an ice age. I'll wait and see. Still keeping all my ice fishing gear. There is a lot of money in climate scams and getting people all worked up.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2023, 03:33 PM »
it's hard to argue with rising global temperatures. The 10 warmest years ever recorded(since 1880) have happened in the last 23 years, with the top 9 warmest years being the last 9(2014-2022).

Obviously there are parts of the country/continent/world that have been colder than their average mean temps during those years, but the global mean temp has risen consistently since the mid 70's.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2023, 08:00 PM »
it's hard to argue with rising global temperatures. The 10 warmest years ever recorded(since 1880) have happened in the last 23 years, with the top 9 warmest years being the last 9(2014-2022).

Obviously there are parts of the country/continent/world that have been colder than their average mean temps during those years, but the global mean temp has risen consistently since the mid 70's.

...how much?  .001 of a degree?'

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2023, 11:43 PM »
They are claiming a 1.7 degree F rise since 1880. The problem with that is you are looking at around 2% to 4% margin of error just by not calibrating the equipment at least annually. Let alone sensor mounting location variations and errors. Then there is the difference in technology and accuracy of monitoring equipment since 1880. I don't see how they can accurately claim such a small increase with so many variables in the equation.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2023, 07:22 AM »
They are claiming a 1.7 degree F rise since 1880. The problem with that is you are looking at around 2% to 4% margin of error just by not calibrating the equipment at least annually. Let alone sensor mounting location variations and errors. Then there is the difference in technology and accuracy of monitoring equipment since 1880. I don't see how they can accurately claim such a small increase with so many variables in the equation.

...are they measuring  the average ocean temperature  or ambient  air temperature?

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2023, 08:17 AM »
The climate of earth has been going through heat and cool cycles much longer than humans have been on earth. In the 70s they were clamoring about an ice age. I'll wait and see. Still keeping all my ice fishing gear. There is a lot of money in climate scams and getting people all worked up.
^^^What he said^^^
People just seem to ignore the fact that this planet is millions and millions of years old and weather has only been truly recorded in the last couple hundred of years so it’s not even close to a fair base of measuring and comparing.  Weather and climate patterns can last decades long before reverting in the other direction.  I’d say don't believe everything you hear that gets jammed in everybody’s head.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2023, 09:20 AM »

...are they measuring  the average ocean temperature  or ambient  air temperature?

"Surface Temperature"

Air temp ends up effecting water temps so they are interconnected to an extent.

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2023, 09:43 PM »
just my 2 cents worth. every 150'000 years this planet goes thru an ice age.
guess whats in between? global warming
just my guess but i believe its the sun

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2023, 08:46 AM »
just my 2 cents worth. every 150'000 years this planet goes thru an ice age.
guess whats in between? global warming
just my guess but i believe its the sun

Yep! Same here. In fact, I am eating right and exercising so I can maybe live another 30 years and see winters like we used to have back in the ‘70’s!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2023, 03:17 PM »

The United States has the best temp. records in the world dating back to the 1800 's with most of the rest of the world having few to none almost none in Africa ,a few in South America , some scattered across Europe and Asia , funny Australia has very good records .So in the case of the U.S. there were 1200 reporting stations with good records up until the 1960's and 70's , now the reporting stations is around 800 , but lying NOAA, DOSENT STOP REPORTING FROM THESE SITES THEY USE MODELS TO GIVE REPORTS FROM DEFUNKED STATIONS. Making nearly half of the data made up . The same is for the rest of the world 9 out of ten data sites is made up . It's the biggest scam ever on humanity designed to stop low cost energy and promoting the green agenda .

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2023, 06:08 PM »
I can see the same type of weather pattern like previous years. We get a couple colder windy days. Night time low's in the 20s. 4-5 days later its in the 50s & then we get a big rain. Im hoping this pattern changes here in SEPA. Id like to have some local ice even for a couple weeks  :thumbsup:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2023, 06:01 PM »
I see a possible “window of opportunity” around 12/30.................would be nice if we could get on some ice before the New Year!  @)

Of course the forecast could change again in a few days!  ::)

But I am the eternal optimist!  ;) 🤞🤞🤞
Where's the FISH?!

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2023, 11:17 AM »

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2023, 06:56 AM »
I don't waste my time with accuweather. They are about as accurate as the Farmers Almanac. They make predictions based on trends over a specified time period. That's not how weather patterns work. I keep an eye on the NOAA and their early predictions, they've been spot on for as long as I've been reading them. They are saying a strong El-Nino event which is not good for us. Higher overall temps and more precipitation here in the NE. I see that as more snow that ends up heavy and sloppy with plenty of freezing rain. I just hope to see some walkable ice on the Pack at some point.

Offline gallitzinice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2023, 01:51 PM »
They are saying a strong El-Nino event which is not good for us. Higher overall temps and more precipitation here in the NE. I see that as more snow that ends up heavy and sloppy with plenty of freezing rain.

YEP.  That El Nino has us pretty much screwed.  The longer term trend forecasts have been pretty consistent; not much cold into mid January, then we get maybe a month of average cold, but with some snow/ice storms that aren't gonna be conducive to decent ice.  Hopefully, we get enough cold to get some kind of season out of it, but I'm not counting on much.  That's my opinion and I'm hoping to be wrong. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2023, 09:03 AM »
I don't waste my time with accuweather. They are about as accurate as the Farmers Almanac. They make predictions based on trends over a specified time period. That's not how weather patterns work. I keep an eye on the NOAA and their early predictions, they've been spot on for as long as I've been reading them. They are saying a strong El-Nino event which is not good for us. Higher overall temps and more precipitation here in the NE. I see that as more snow that ends up heavy and sloppy with plenty of freezing rain. I just hope to see some walkable ice on the Pack at some point.

Don’t be a “buzz-kill” Spider!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2023, 05:46 PM »
I know a couple lakes that get decent enough ice each year. Sometimes it just doesn't last very long. I figure, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2023, 08:47 PM »
Last year i got five day's of ice fishing, and that was before Christmas. All we can do is wait and see what this year brings.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2023, 05:07 AM »
Forecast not looking so promising right now :-\

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2023, 08:20 AM »
My first post this season.  I was hoping it was going to be to report a great day on the ice.  Instead I’m mopping up my rain soaked basement.  Frustrating! Merry Christmas everyone!

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2023, 10:43 AM »
My first post this season.  I was hoping it was going to be to report a great day on the ice.  Instead I’m mopping up my rain soaked basement.  Frustrating! Merry Christmas everyone!

Merry Christmas

Offline dsr02364

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2023, 06:17 AM »
hoping to get on 1st weekend in January in Bradford County...forecast looks promising after next week highs topping out in the mid 30s and lows in the 20s and teens!
Guess that means I gotta get my stuff around....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.