Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Brushy Report  (Read 3406 times)

Offline SetDaHook

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PhishinPhan
Brushy Report
« on: Dec 11, 2007, 04:17 PM »
Anyone have a report on Brushy Creek?  Looking to head that way on Saturday if the ice is good.  I've never even seen the lake but heard good things about it so I thought I'd start the year out there and see what happens.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Brushy Report
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:18 PM »
There are some reports on other sites with OK ice at the north end, with this lake being so deep and current from the new rains might be iffy. If you do go be carefull and life jackets are a good option.

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2007, 12:06 PM »
Would also like to hear some ice reports. Son and I are looking to come over this friday. Never ice fished it before. Any info would be appreciated on where to give it  our best shot for some pannies 8)

Offline Brushyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2007, 02:34 PM »
The ice is fine on Brushy.  Just stay to the North boat ramp and venture out to the east bay.  Last weekend the Ice was 5-6" and I know of a bunch of guys that have been fishing it all week. 

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Have they been having any luck?

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2007, 04:18 PM »
Thanx Brushyguy. Deciding  whether to make it over or not. Went out to start the new Strikemaster I purchased a month ago for the 2nd time, has never seen ice yet. The pull rope will not recoil all the way back in.  :( I still have enough to get it started.  Called strikemaster and they said it jumped a clog. The only autherized service centers is Spirt Lake, LeMars, and Des Moines. I live by Waterloo. I have a fishing buddy who works in the Twin Cities and will be coming home the weekend before X-Mas and then coming back down the weekend after X-Mas. He is going to drop it off at Strikemaster in Big Lake and they said they would fix it right away while he waits. Awesome customer service. They said they could walk me thru taking it apart to fix it over the phone. I didn't feel comfortable doing it and figured they can do it. Does anybody know how to do it?

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2007, 04:35 PM »
If you want to have it repaired  ...and don't mind paying for the repairs ...and probably won't be reimbursed ... :'(
Take it to one of your local outdoor power equipment dealers (lawnmower repair shop) and ask if they can or will repair it . We have customers come in with this exact same scenario. We usually can repair it for under $15.
PS:  It seems to happen more if the grip slips out of your hand and flies back in .  Other factors may be involved as well. :)

I didn't mean to hijack this thread .

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2007, 06:46 PM »
Recoil kit is 11 dollars.  Good idea to always have a spare one on hand......Quick fix even on a slab of ice!

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2007, 07:53 PM »
Recoil kit is 11 dollars.  Good idea to always have a spare one on hand......Quick fix even on a slab of ice!

Would anybody have the time to show me how to repair it? That way I will know how to do it. Would be willing to meet somewhere to do some ice fishing tomorrow  ;D

Offline buffettphan606

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Thanks for the report brushyguy, me and a couple other guys are going there saturday, i will have a blue dodge ram and a purple otter lodge, come on over and give us some crap, see you on the ice...............bpha n.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2007, 05:52 AM »
sounds as if the whole bay will be filled with fisherman on Saturday. get there early if you want a prime spot ;)

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Brushyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2007, 07:06 AM »
At Brushy the bluegill bite has been hot during the day.  We could hardly run 2 poles the last time I was out.  The Crappie start hitting about 4:00 and continue into the night.  It helps if you have a flasher the crappie are suspended off the tree limbs.  I fished in 17-19 feet of water and had a tree limb at about 15 ft.  Most of the Crappie we caught were 6-12" above the tree limb. The problem is you have to fish in the trees to catch them which also results in a lot of snagged lures.   Orange jigs (I used a small northland forage minnow) seem to do the trick for the Crappie and a green Demon and waxy worked good for the gills. I don't know if I will make it up that way on Saturday, but I will be in a Eskimo Quickflip 2 on Sunday. 

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2007, 06:31 PM »
gills were biting good again today, finally got some bigger ones rather than the runts. a few crappies mixed in also thru out the day

Offline matt_hill_61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:06 PM »
fished for a few hours today and caught a small crappie and many big gills and a ton of dinks

Offline IOWA BASSER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bass Fisherman at Heart - but I love the Hardwater
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:22 PM »
anyone been to the south end of Brushy yet - in behind the island, along the old road bed???

I am starting at corneila or morse in the morning and plan on being at brushy by 3 or so and then again sun morning
BASS WISHES AND TIGHT LINES !!

Offline ducky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:28 AM »
Hey Basser, Im in Waterloo, you need some company on Sunday?  Where are you going?  Shoot me an email if you want some company.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:02 AM »
it doesn't look like anyone has been out on the south end so far..couldn't see any tracks when I checked down there

Offline IOWA BASSER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bass Fisherman at Heart - but I love the Hardwater
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:53 AM »
Thanks Brittlab, guess there has always got to be a ginnepig - slow and easy

Ducky, I am headed out now and will be staying in Fort Dodge tonight, if you make it over, I'll be in a red F150 crew, butler plates and a frabil hideout, I'll be on the north end tonight and the south end sun morning - ice willing!!!
BASS WISHES AND TIGHT LINES !!

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:13 PM »
Does anyone know how much ice is on brushy?  I'm looking for some crappies and bluegills and I never fished that lake in the winter and I have no clue where to fish for them.  I'm thinking about heading up there tomorrow morrning on the north end where the ice should be safe.  Any suggestions?

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:14 PM »
there is a good 6" of ice in the bay to the east of the north ramp. once you get out into the treeline to the south it varies from 2-4" so be careful. I was on 2" yesterday :o about 12' away from my buddy who was on 4"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.