Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Hub recommendation??  (Read 3628 times)

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hub recommendation??
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:26 PM »
Just received the Clam 4000, yes it is big and a bit heavy. I'll modify my sled to carry it and other goodies. Really want to see how warm the thermals are. Wanted to set it up in the house, but would have to move things around. Later in the week it's suppose to warm up, I'll try outside.

Offline timmons22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:50 AM »
Ive used the 4000 three times so far this year. Love taking my two girls and other family members out in it, plenty of work to move around, able to stretch if needed.  I use a portable buddy heater on low cus anything more than that its just too warm

Offline Dirt_Guru

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:07 AM »
If you're going to handle this solo, I strongly recommend getting a bungee with carabiner clips on the ends.  That way when you take the shack down you can bear hug it and clip it together.  It makes things much easier when getting back into the bag. 

I guess you could also go with a cinch strap with D rings or Velcro as well if you'd rather.  I prefer the bungee for myself.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:14 AM »
I have the Eskimo Fatfish 949I for about three years, haven't had any problems with it, and would buy it again.  When I was getting it I had it narrowed down to the 949I and the Clam Bigfoot XL4000T.  I ended up going with the Fatfish because the windows are removable so if they ever crack I can easily replace them, the Eskimo anchors are supposedly the best  and in my experience they go into the ice with minimal effort, the zipper flaps cover the zippers better, the interior is black and blocks out the light better for sight fishing, and the price was less.  One thing that I did with mine is instead of using the ropes to tie it to the anchors I use ratchet straps so I don't have to worry about the knots coming loose in the wind. 

Offline Ken1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:26 AM »
I've got an Eskimo 3 quick fish. I've had it for 3 years now works great If you don't plan on moving around alot winds not a problem if you stake it down right. And Eskimo has the best Ice stakes imo.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 26, 2016, 03:17 PM »
So I stuck with Eskimo 949i because it turned out to be a better deal than I thought and both Reed's and Glen's said they are great shacks.  At 34 pounds, it is one of the lighter 3-4 person shacks, which may not seem like a huge deal, but I have learned that a few pounds here and there times multiple makes a big difference when pulling a sled.   

First time as a hub style owner and so far so good.  It is nice to have the extra room and be able to sit in chairs vs. the bench in my sled.  3 guys with chairs and gear seems to be the maximum.  4 guys or 3 + a kid would work, but likely not on chairs + multiple holes.  One thing that I did not think of was to measure my truck bed to ensure the bag fits.  Mine fits perfectly and I can still close the tailgate, without turning it sideways, so I can fit my 1-man sled and auger without stacking or taking my bed cover off.

Offline sparkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:33 AM »
I just ordered the Polar Bird 4T, I have a Jason Mitchell 1 man sled that I use tons, also have a Jason Mitchell 2 man flip over that is great for 2 people but that's about it. I have 2 daughters 7 & 8 that love to fish and there is no leaving one at home any more, so I guess we'll join the hub club. I'll keep you posted

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.