The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Would like to catch a laker!  (Read 664 times)

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Would like to catch a laker!
« on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:33 AM »
Hey guys,
The two fish that I've yet to pull out of any lake are walleyes and lakers! I would love to hear any tips on lakers especially. My best guess is deeper water and lighter setups? I'm primarily a pike guy during the winter but am always looking to expand my horizons. Is Champlain a good laker lake? And are my pike setups with 4/0 hooks and 50 pound flouro leaders too heavy?
Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Would like to catch a laker!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:42 AM »
it depends upon where you are, and where you want to travel to, and if size is an issue.  Caspian, hands down, can not be beaten by any lake in the state to my knowledge for sheer number of hook ups in a day.  However, while plentiful, they average 16-24", with many bigger ones taken there each year.  But if you want to catch A laker, that's the hands down place to go.  50 is a bit heavy, but will do fine.  I usually use 30-40 pound squidding line myself, with about a 6 foot mono leader.  Swivel on one end, number 4 or 6 treble on the other, sewn just under the skin of a 4-6 inch smelt, hooks near the head.  Look for a transition point on a map, i usually hone in on drop offs, but first thing inthe morning they can be found cruising the shorelines.  In the morning, drop it to the bottom, come up a foot or two, and you will be good.  I have seen pplenty also taken from just under the ice 2,3 feet, but I prefer the bottom.  Two of the  sunken islands on Caspian are two favorite spots for lakers to be found.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Interesting, you use treble hooks? And what do you mean by "sewn under the skin?" one other question, can you catch them on the shiners you buy for pike, or do you have to  atch smelt? Sounds like I'm most of the way their as far as tackle, although I run only about 12" leaders, so I may have to change those

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:53 AM »
Interesting, you use treble hooks? And what do you mean by "sewn under the skin?" one other question, can you catch them on the shiners you buy for pike, or do you have to  atch smelt? Sounds like I'm most of the way their as far as tackle, although I run only about 12" leaders, so I may have to change those

When I say sewn under the skin, it's just how it sounds.  If you can find them, a long, flexible needle with a loop on one end is used for sewing.  You hook your leader onto the needle, and gently slip the line just under the skin on the back, pulling the line out near the tail.  This will allow a baitfish to swim as naturally as possible.  Hooking lakers can be difficult at times, thats why we switched to double and treble hooks years ago; lakers are notorious for running and dropping the bait, a treble of course increases your odds.  The leaders definitely need to be longer, i use either 8 or 12lb mono.  While smelt seem to work the best, I know some guys that like to use shiners or suckers in the spring for them, so i don't see why they won't work in the winter too. 
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Gotcha, thanks for the tips!

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2012, 11:09 AM »
drop me a line if you want to give it a try there, and I will see if I can make it happen.  It's not easy to run away from 3 kids, but willing to give it a try.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.