Author Topic: Lessons earned from a day without fish  (Read 1205 times)

Offline sgoldammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
Lessons earned from a day without fish
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:27 PM »
I am a relatively inexperienced ice fisherman in the grand scheme of things, having gotten into the sport 4 years ago and truly gotten the itch the last 2 years overall, and I came into this season having made probably the biggest leap in my equipment investment. I watched the weather from Thanksgiving onward, champing at the bit to get out on the ice with the naive assumption that now that I had a drill and a flasher at my disposal, if I put in the effort, a bucket full of fish was inevitable. I got out on the ice this past Saturday determined to employ my new run and gun approach on a lake I've never fished before, and probably and 100 holes and 10,000 steps on my FitBit later, I had nothing but a new knowledge of the depths of that lake and an empty bucket to show for it. Saturday afternoon's frustration transitioned to Sunday's reflection (a Packer win helped on the optimism front), and I've taken some lessons from my experience. I probably overcorrected on my run and gun approach and would probably benefit from a little patience on the spots I targeted on the map as places I thought would hold fish. Putting in the legwork (literally) doesn't necessarily translate to success, but at least I got a workout in! And I confirmed that my new equipment works well, and as I start to build confidence on the lakes in SE WI, it will help me in the long run.

I wanted to tap into the experience in this forum to see if there's anything else I can take from this day on the ice, so if you've read this far, your input would be appreciated!
Only 40 years to retirement!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Lessons earned from a day without fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:41 PM »
That's why it's called fishing, not catching!! Learn from your mistakes and the fish will come! Slow down and enjoy your time on the ice!! Good luck!! :tipup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:47 PM »
Unfortunately I have shared your experience more oten than not. I think you hit on a key idea. You didn't fail you succeeded in doing a few things. One you eliminated water. That's a huge battle. Two you probably found some breaks and weedbeds etc. Just because they didn't produce that day doesn't mean they won't on others. Keep them in mind and fish the most interesting at least two more times.  Three you gave yourself a chance. You don't catch fish everytime you go out but you get skunked every time you stay home.

The biggest buck of my life came on a day I didn't think would be good and I didn't have much time to sit including missing out on prime hours. I was missing some equipment and had a bunch of reasons to skip but decided I would sit as long as possible. It paid off. Keep working it will pay off too.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:50 PM »
It's all about perspective.  Yesterday I drove past the neighbors place, and saw the local well septic/well guy hard at work.  At the very same time you are striking out on the lake, there is a guy ankle deep in somebody's septic tank chiseling frozen crap from the walls so it will work properly.  A bad day of fishing is still better than...
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:25 PM »
I'm new at ice fishing too.  My biggest revelation so far has been finding perch on a featureless pain in almost 60 feet of water.  I never would have looked there in the summer for them!

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:21 PM »
I had to check your username to make sure I hadn't written this myself and forgotten about it!  I did the same thing on a small area in Lake Wisconsin a few weeks ago. Caught one tiny perch and walking/drilled more than I fished but it gave me a feel for where to head the next time (confirmed some map stuff).  Some days it's just beautiful being out there.
We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:38 PM »
You can't catch fish, if you don't go...
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:53 PM »
I learned from my fishless outing that my hand auger blades are sharp enough to slice through the 14+ inches of ice on Moultonborough bay and Center Harbor!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:27 PM »
days like that just make it sweeter when you do hit it right and slam a bucket full!!
if it was always easy, we would miss the little things that might turn a slow day into a day you talk(brag) about for the rest of our lives.

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:31 AM »
"Packer win helped on the optimism front" What a Game! As for fishing, try another lake.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:10 AM »
Just like anything else you have to put in the work to get the rewards. Good job being brave enough to take on a lake you don't know. Now you have an idea what it looks like under the ice, and can go back to some of the places you really thought the fish should have been. Keep at it and you will get into the fish!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Took it in the face on Saturday morn...my son and I had 7 traps out....got 5 flags..all hit and run...no fish. But the best part of the morning ....was when a Bald Eagle flew 20 feet over our heads !!! That made our day !

Offline sgoldammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:12 AM »
Thanks everyone, it's good to know I'm not alone! A week full of 40 degree weather will probably delay the start of my redemption tour unfortunately...

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:34 AM »
Good for you. Your ADDICTED!!!!. You are way on the better more successful side of the spectrum. More willing to explore and run and gun than most newbies. You should be proud. It can only get better from here. As someone mentioned the trophy deer. I feel sorry for a new hunter who goes out the first time and shoots the trophy of his life. Theres satisfaction to learning and gaining experience from your quarry and your efforts and appreciate the progression. Would be interesting to know what your targeting, if anything in particular. I will be following this thread and looking forward to your reports. cheers, danny

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Oops, also wanted to suggest, live bait and a little more subtle presentations with patience no matter what your after. Good luck

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:46 AM »
building patience/persistance,accepting your not always going to catch something and just enjoying the outdoors will make you a better fisherman.thats my mindset..whenever I go out I never think in going to fill a bucket full of fish its just the chance to be out fishing that calms my soul and catching fish is a  bonus.patience will pay off.

Offline sgoldammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:47 AM »
I was targeting panfish that day. Started on a point along the shoreline, where it had a consistent break from 5' to 25', punched a bunch of holes at varying depths but it was mostly hard bottom, not a lot of weeds or structure. Moved on to an island that was standing alone in about 60' of water, but by then the sun was out and any bite was going to be harder to come by. I did catch one dinky little goby on the left side of that island (which I don't count as a caught fish personally), so I might've stumbled upon a decent walleye spot. There were some big holes drilled out there from the night before, so I must not be the only person who thought that. I didn't have a whole lot of time to fish that area before I had to get off the ice, so that might be worth a return visit.

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:50 AM »
When u mark fish on flasher get them to chase your jig upward the more aggressive fish will come up and blast it you will also have alot if sniffers really surprised to c how many fish have stairing contest eith the jig and uf u were fishing blind would have no idea fish is even their

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:09 AM »
As the wise man said, it's not the destination but the journey.

Take the time to learn different things, from trying a new pond/lake to trying new lures and presentations.
While doing this don't forget to enjoy the simple fact that you are outdoors! Too many people slave away their lives indoors and never get to see, hear and smell the fresh air and the open skies.

I have my personal moments of zen when fishing, be it fresh or salt, open water of on ice, and it's when a small plane drones overhead.
It brings me back to my childhood days when I would be daydreaming about nothing in particular and the sound of a plane flying overhead would take me to a peaceful state of mind. Next after that is the sound of a fog horn on a misty day/evening fishing a local saltwater bridge.

Sure the fishing a matters, but it's also what you learn from it that makes the trip memorable.

Oh, and it helps if you catch fish as well... ;D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline sgoldammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Well, a little perseverance paid off! And a switch to a new lake  ;) Got on some gills and cleaned enough to make for a good meal this week.

Off to a new lake to target walleye this weekend! Thanks for the encouragement.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Well, a little perseverance paid off! And a switch to a new lake  ;) Got on some gills and cleaned enough to make for a good meal this week.

Off to a new lake to target walleye this weekend! Thanks for the encouragement.

Atta boy!  ;) I think we all know how you feel!

Many years ago I decided to take up ice fishing. Went solo to a lake I had never fished before. Naturally I got skunked on the first day. I went again the next day. After my second day of getting skunked I really began to reflect and reconsider every variable, from bait to depth to location and everything in between. I kept flogging the lake four days in a row with no success. Then on the fifth day I finally landed a fish! I had finally figured out bait, depth, location, etc. and by the end of the day I limited out!

Excited about what I had learned, I went back the very next day using the same bait, depth, location, etc. And I got completely and utterly humbled. I was lucky to barely even get a single bite. Couldn't believe it. Back to the old drawing board lol.

But what I learned about fishing in that week was much more valuable than just catching fish. And just when you think you've learned it all, somehow the fish will keep you humbled! And it's what keeps us coming back  ;)

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:28 PM »
should have been here yesterday
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:46 PM »
I hate have to learn from not catching..

But..

There is a paying dues thing, you have to donate time to eliminate water, and new spots.. Without doing that, your situation might never improve..

Good luck!

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.