The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Anyone use dead smelt for catfish bait during soft water?  (Read 6257 times)

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
We always use shrimp and walking sinker rigs while catfishing,was wondering if anyone has used smelt considering I have 200 of them and wouldn't mind sacrificing a few for cat bait.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline stumpjumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone use dead smelt for catfish bait during soft water?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2011, 02:38 PM »
Geez I'd take a few of those off your hands if the season wasn't almost over.. I'm sure they would work as well for cats as they do for pike..

Offline pzoch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2011, 10:46 PM »
They work good for possum and racoons too. ;D

Offline stadlea

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • OUTDOOR PASSIONS
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:20 PM »
heading out tomorrow for some cats...gunna stop by a pull a few small gills out of the hardwater to cut up first  ;D
I remember my first beer!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:05 AM »
They work good for possum and racoons too. ;D
I bet they do!
Geez I'd take a few of those off your hands if the season wasn't almost over.. I'm sure they would work as well for cats as they do for pike..
Never have tried them for pike either. Gonna hafta give them a shot this spring for some cats.

Offline stumpjumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Best pike bait there is....

Offline Mich-Again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:37 AM »
Sorry if this question has been asked a bazillion times, but where do you get whole smelt?  What store or source exactly?  I stopped by Meijer yesterday and looked, but all they had were "fresh" ones that had been cleaned (not frozen or whole, no head, etc).

I'm pretty desperate to find something that will work on Muskegon Lake - for tip-ups and for soft-water casting.  For softwater, maybe I'll put one on a small cleo or something shiny and cast it.  Or maybe I'll try dead perch instead of the usual live ones on tip-ups.  I refuse to buy shiners at the bait shop.

Offline fishbuckett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2011, 02:54 PM »
We always use shrimp and walking sinker rigs while catfishing,was wondering if anyone has used smelt considering I have 200 of them and wouldn't mind sacrificing a few for cat bait.

Sounds like a good idea. I just saved the heads from my last batch of smelt for the channel cats. Put them in a bag in the freezer. Should work.  For Muskegon lake pike I just use shiners. Caught 4 keepers in the last 3 trips. 

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Sorry if this question has been asked a bazillion times, but where do you get whole smelt?  What store or source exactly?  I stopped by Meijer yesterday and looked, but all they had were "fresh" ones that had been cleaned (not frozen or whole, no head, etc).

I'm pretty desperate to find something that will work on Muskegon Lake - for tip-ups and for soft-water casting.  For softwater, maybe I'll put one on a small cleo or something shiny and cast it.  Or maybe I'll try dead perch instead of the usual live ones on tip-ups.  I refuse to buy shiners at the bait shop.
I dunno. I didn't buy the smelt, just caught them. I've cleaned them as well. Was still going to give them a shot though. They still smell fishy!

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:06 PM »
Yup! Those tasty little buggers will get you into some channels. Some nice ones at that. They will be a no go on the flats. To smart or agressive for smelt? Have not used them in years. Just target flats now.

Offline budzy222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Do people start fishing for cats around this time???  Never done it guess I just thought it was more of summer thing!

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2011, 11:43 AM »
Not really worth going till water warms into the 50s

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:48 PM »
i imagine the catfish are a little slow this time of year.i rarely catch one while steelhead fishing.i used smelt for catfishing but i ground them up and tied  big catfish sacs out them.caught some channels on the kzoo.

Offline Threefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:15 PM »
I don't know anywhere you can buy whole smelt. You would have to catch them or know someone who fish's for them ,have them save them for ya. But i wouldn't worry about it. You can catch a sucker and cut it up into chunks of about 1 1/2" long by 1" wide and catch all the cats you want. You can catch them in the spring out on the flats by the river mouth. But the best time is when you get the first 3 warm muggy nights in a row. Good luck.
I have two fishing buddy's that know all my secrets. But they wont tell all they do is wag there tails.

Offline Trek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can teach you.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Never used them for cats but there great for pike! Ive been wanting to catch a cat through the ice for a while now!  :thumbsup:
"removed"
I caught a fish once.

Offline allcaughtup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:53 PM »
where do bullhead rank in the icefishing world???

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2011, 06:05 PM »
where do bullhead rank in the icefishing world???
Just below crappie.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Looking forward to some warm weather. I'll be kicked back in the boat with a cold one listening to the radio while smoking a cigar. Just waiting for the bait to get slammed. I have had visions of flat heads running trough my head while staring at the flasher fishing in a hole.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline allcaughtup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Just below crappie.

off subject again...but I have hopefully not real stupid question....whats is the deal with alot of guys on here having pics of rockbass...like its sacred or something....i hate rockbass....slit there stomachs and throw them on the bank if I can....all they do is eat eggs...and they get pretty healthy doin that

Offline Threefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2011, 03:17 PM »
There are fisherman that like these to eat plus there fun to catch. The ones we catch out of portage lake are good eating.
I have two fishing buddy's that know all my secrets. But they wont tell all they do is wag there tails.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.