New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827280 times)

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4140 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:27 PM »
I use an electric Lazer.  Works great.  It's quiet and can drill enough holes on a charge.  If it runs out, I plug it into the wheeler. As soon as we have enough ice for the wheeler I start using it.  I use a hand drill when I walk.
Same here.  Love it.  If I need more power I can bring an extra battery.  On one battery I have never run out of power when fishing by myself or one other friend.  If you are going to fish in a group and punch holes for everyone - get a gas auger or make sure you have the cable to run off a machine.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4141 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Taking bets for a date that we see a truck out on the ice???????

We get to 20" I'll drive my car out :D

Offline mrm57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4142 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:05 PM »
  we were also parking our sled 600 feet from where we intended too fish, does it matter?, I think so...  sometimes its the little things too stay consistant.

you're kidding right?...that's like 200 yrds. i can understand the gas auger thing even tho i use mine no matter how thick the ice or how shallow the water because i personally don't think it matters all that much. just my take on it but can undrestand others not agreeing. not trying to be a murph but that comment makes me want to go back out to the garage and put my boots back on. ::). thanks for the pics and info..i really enjoy it but i couldn't resist that one. had to get my feet wet. been lurking too long. ;D

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #4143 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:36 PM »
you're kidding right?...that's like 200 yrds. i can understand the gas auger thing even tho i use mine no matter how thick the ice or how shallow the water because i personally don't think it matters all that much. just my take on it but can undrestand others not agreeing. not trying to be a murph but that comment makes me want to go back out to the garage and put my boots back on. ::). thanks for the pics and info..i really enjoy it but i couldn't resist that one. had to get my feet wet. been lurking too long. ;D

well maybe 400 feet, I look at my map and when it goes from reading miles like .10 to feet, which is usually 500, I tell my buddy to slow down, its bare ice and a sled is noisey right now, if it was solid snow it would be different, quads are relatively quiet right now, sleds aren't, but I'm in shape and don't mind the exercise, just said what I do, like I said before, do what you please its a free country, not pushing my opinions on anyone.. but if you had a hole that produced bigtime the night before at dark, would you drive right up on it and chance pushing that school too the guys next too you, I know won't, just the way I think.. as time goes on and I gain more knowledge of how these fish act and respond too noise, I reserve the right to change my opinion,.. today we had the same cloud cover and same barometer as yesterday, on average how was everyones results with 4 times the noise?

Also I take my fishing very seriously, I'm not out there to talk and bs or relax, I'm usually out there too fish and all day.. I take people, usually friends from out of town on almost every trip, I can't sleep at night if they don't do well, so I sometimes do things others don't and go the extra mile too make sure we are successful on every trip, I don't just let the day unfold...  Theres many types of fisherman on the lake, not everyone fits into my category, success is measured in different terms to different people. So it may seem odd too some what I do, but I'm just doing my best at what I believe in, that's all, I don't care if you don't agree with me or talk behind my back, nothing new too me.  I posted those vids to guys having trouble jigging eyes, hope it helped a few with there jig stroke, I could of just kept it too myself, but have grown fond of many members on here over the years, and I'm happy, not jellous when I see others have success.  it's good stuff man.  ;D
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4144 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:28 PM »
Ive got a question. And I'm not starting a flasher debate. I'm looking at getting one as I feel it'd be invaluable on Oneida. For the diehards here...is the dual beam necessary for dropoffs? Is the "dead zone" created by a 20° cone really that big of a factor? I'm asking this here because I know my local lakes and I do well without a flasher. But Oneida has been hit or miss for me and I want to improve that. Just looking for advice so I can spend my money wisely

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4145 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:51 PM »
Ive got a question. And I'm not starting a flasher debate. I'm looking at getting one as I feel it'd be invaluable on Oneida. For the diehards here...is the dual beam necessary for dropoffs? Is the "dead zone" created by a 20° cone really that big of a factor? I'm asking this here because I know my local lakes and I do well without a flasher. But Oneida has been hit or miss for me and I want to improve that. Just looking for advice so I can spend my money wisely

only 2 cents i'll put in, is I like split zoom, my lowrances have 20 degree cones... what dead zone?.....I hate the humming noise vexs make, that why I decided on lowrances 9-10 yrs ago, since then alots changed.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4146 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:55 PM »
This explains it pretty well. http://vexilar.com/info/choosing-a-transducer-beam-angle-2/

Switching to an 8° cone would make it smaller. A larger dropoff would have a greater deadzone as well.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4147 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Only messin, I personally don't like them, too much noise.....but it is a free county and I don't own the lake.

Exactly. Not gonna say people shouldn't use them but this morning from 06:30-09:00 the North Shore sounded like a construction site.

Offline wallperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4148 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:15 PM »
This explains it pretty well. http://vexilar.com/info/choosing-a-transducer-beam-angle-2/

Switching to an 8° cone would make it smaller. A larger dropoff would have a greater deadzone as well.
[/quote
Well..... I'm going to be in the market for a flasher and have been arguing with myself over marcum or vexilar bottom end units, now I have something else to think about,  maybe just run a middle of the road cone angle?  I only really fish Oneida, any suggestions?

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4149 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:28 PM »
That's actually the boat I'm in. Marcum's vx1 pro is what I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get. Offers bottom lock. Humminbird has a dual cone with zoom but reviews are iffy. Vex is outmatched at this price point. I don't want this to be another flasher battle. I just read thread after thread of that when I searched this stuff. Always comes down to vex vs Marcum. I'm curious about the dead zone on drop offs and if it's an actual issue. The way I'm thinking is...if I'm fishing a slope that ends at 20' but reads 17. I should be able to get those fish to come up the 3ft to hit my jig. Not always. But if they won't come up and play they're probably tight lipped anyhow.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4150 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:49 PM »
  I don't think Oneida is steep enough for that too be a problem, that would mean you would get bit often and not see the mark, very rare for that too happen.....

you get what you pay for, I'm not a vex guy, but my friends who own them swear by them, they look well built.   happy hunting.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4151 on: Feb 02, 2014, 01:32 AM »
it looked like a mad house out there today everyone get it out of the systems by the weekend and by tuesday it will be nice and quite for me... ..hope i can hit they eyes had enough perch to last me awhile..

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4152 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:27 AM »
That's actually the boat I'm in. Marcum's vx1 pro is what I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get. Offers bottom lock. Humminbird has a dual cone with zoom but reviews are iffy. Vex is outmatched at this price point. I don't want this to be another flasher battle. I just read thread after thread of that when I searched this stuff. Always comes down to vex vs Marcum. I'm curious about the dead zone on drop offs and if it's an actual issue. The way I'm thinking is...if I'm fishing a slope that ends at 20' but reads 17. I should be able to get those fish to come up the 3ft to hit my jig. Not always. But if they won't come up and play they're probably tight lipped anyhow.
I have the Marcum VX1 and a Lowrance Elite 4. I use the GPS on the Lowrance and Navionics for finding structure and where I want to fish, then I turn it off and fish with my Marcum. It's just preference. My 14 year old boy loves the Lowrance because it's not the flasher style. Either way, I think the Marcum is probably worth the $. Good luck

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4153 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:14 AM »
Excellent post Snag; sums up a lot of our feelings. Right or wrong, I agree on the "noise factor". Nothing like sitting there and have someone come right up to you on a machine and want to know "how they biting?". As far as your fishing style can you say "intense"  ;). I'm a little more laid back but that doesn't mean I enjoy it any more or any less.

Offline korushka

• IceShanty Rookie
LEWIS POINT. 02-01-2014
« Reply #4154 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:26 AM »

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4155 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:23 AM »
The good old noise issue. Love it.. Here's my take. A lot of guys know I am a tip down freak . Been useing them for 40+ yrs. now. Why is it that when you run to a tip down, even in 30+ ft of water, the perch stops biting, and when I stand there for a bit and wait nice and quiet, he comes back? This happens so often that, I now walk to a tip down and do it as quietly without pounding on the ice as I can.  Here's my other take on the matter. Since when does a hand auger not make noise? Sound travels about 4X faster in water than air so that drilling noise is transmitted through the water no matter what you use.  Maybe, if I fish another 40 yrs, I will use a military laser shot from a drone to cut a hole  ;D

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4156 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:28 AM »
does anyone have the number for the faa   ;D

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4157 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:58 AM »
Been here for a while lurking I guess, (I go with not having anything more to add),,, but finally a topic to add to. I had fish on the screen the other day chasing up and down steady for a few minutes and a sled was heading my way when it got out in front of me in the 150 foot range it was like someone shut my flasher off, after it went by and a couple minutes passed they came back and we played the game some more. Saw it twice as the sled went into shore and picked someone up and came back out. They are noisy on the bare ice

Also was hand drilling that day and at a couple holes just a half minute or so after cutting the hole the fish were there I think auger noise has more to do with depth you are in, deeper fish seem a little more tolerant to it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4158 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:59 AM »

I have seen the the noise comparison tests from hand screws and power augers taking from under the ice , you might be surprised what you may read ,far as sled and wheeler noise on bare ice , OH and  the shanty noise , I agree , 2 weeks ago a bud called me over, as to he had a very hot perch bite , I said thanks but I'm not taking a chance on spooking your fish , I try and figure the pattern of travel in a spot , get set up early and try and ambush them , so far so good , far as dead spots really nothing steep enough in Oneida to really effect that , I do have another lake that I due fish and that does occur , far as flasher verses graph mode I'm a graph guy , but do own a vex fl18 , it is my back up and it is all a personal choice they all do the job , It still boils down to the man making the right choices in lures , presentation and picking a likely spot to stab a few , snags my good friend but we don't always agree , and that's good so learning never stops

Offline yarn em in

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4159 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:02 AM »
I have the Marcum VX1 and a Lowrance Elite 4. I use the GPS on the Lowrance and Navionics for finding structure and where I want to fish, then I turn it off and fish with my Marcum. It's just preference. My 14 year old boy loves the Lowrance because it's not the flasher style. Either way, I think the Marcum is probably worth the $. Good luck

Wich ever you go with don't go with the low end unit you will just want to upgrade once you use it for awhile.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4160 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Well said Shane, words of a Wise Man.....

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4161 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:44 AM »
it looked like a mad house out there today everyone get it out of the systems by the weekend and by tuesday it will be nice and quite for me... ..hope i can hit they eyes had enough perch to last me awhile..

It was the most people I had seen out there in a long time. Everyone was spread out pretty good though. I didn't see any stupid behavior.

I will say the bite was better away from the crowd...

16" of black ice where I was.

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4162 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:56 AM »
I had a fl8 years ago,then I up graded to the fl18 vex, that was a huge up grade.  Now i have a Marcum lx7 and it makes the fl18 a real vintage item.  The Lowrance Elite 4 sounds like a great machine with the navionics and gps.

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #4163 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:08 AM »

I have a vx1 pro. A million others have this or some other Marcum or Vexillar or Humming Bird or whatever. For me it came down to 265.00 and free shipping. It does a few things more than the fl8 but a lot less than some of the others can do. It all comes down to what youre willing to pay to accommodate the number of times you fish. IMO

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #4164 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:12 AM »

At Chapman right now, landed 3 pig smallies so far....

perch@pans

Re: LEWIS POINT. 02-01-2014
« Reply #4165 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:13 AM »

Nice sheepshead in cold water they are a tasty fried treat! !!!!

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #4166 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:49 AM »

Landed 7 so far....

Offline Iceydan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chief of the Fugowie tribe
« Reply #4167 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:50 AM »
I have seen the the noise comparison tests from hand screws and power augers taking from under the ice , you might be surprised what you may read ,far as sled and wheeler noise on bare ice , OH and  the shanty noise , I agree , 2 weeks ago a bud called me over, as to he had a very hot perch bite , I said thanks but I'm not taking a chance on spooking your fish , I try and figure the pattern of travel in a spot , get set up early and try and ambush them , so far so good , far as dead spots really nothing steep enough in Oneida to really effect that , I do have another lake that I due fish and that does occur , far as flasher verses graph mode I'm a graph guy , but do own a vex fl18 , it is my back up and it is all a personal choice they all do the job , It still boils down to the man making the right choices in lures , presentation and picking a likely spot to stab a few , snags my good friend but we don't always agree , and that's good so learning never stops

So I don't usually get involved in these discussions because it's best for me to keep my opinions to myself....I get in less trouble that way or at least thats what my wife thinks would get me in less trouble but at the risk of pissing off some people who are on line who I don't even know...here it goes. Noise levels, sleds augers, atv's, fish population up or down, dogs on the ice etc etc. The bottom line for me is this....it's a free country. If you have a fish hut dont walk through some guys tip ups that he took time to set out. If you have a sled or an atv ride it if you want just respect the people who are aready out there. If you have your limit and still continue to fish that day then be respectful of the resource which means try your freaking best to not harm the fish. If you have a cell phone and you want to make a call or two or thirty can ya keep the noise level to a minimum because some guysand gals go out there not to hear somebody elses conversation. Its called freaking peace and quiet. How about talking to the guy or gal near you... or not talking to them if they want it that way. It's just simply be respectful how freaking hard is that. In this day and age of instant gratification I guess it's pretty hard.  Wheres the safe ice, is there snow, where are all the fish being caught?!!!  **censored** seriously??!!. This thread is mostly funny and sometimes informative and usually Snagger has the best info. but there are a number of guys who post a lot of good stuff and a lot of guys who are a pain. I consider myself to be more of a pain which is why I dont post too much but I know enough about being a spotsman to know when enough is enough. Its called fishing not catching and we are all learning more about every year...even Snagger believe it or not and I dont even know the guy. Im sure there are noise comparison tests but really? When we were kids we used a spud and pounded out a hole and caught a lot of fish with golden rod grubs. Now I have a shanty, a marcum an auger and a heater and I damn sure wouldn't want to go back to the old way but one thing hasn't changed...I dont fish up a guys a$$, I dont drag all my gear right up to him and ask if hes catching fish, at what depth, what lure hes using, what time he got there, what time hes leaving blah blah blaaah. Its called spotsmanship.....you know....what you should do when people are watching and more importantly when theyre not.   My name here is iceydan but most of my friends call me the grumpy dwarf and now I guess I know why hahaha.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4168 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:01 AM »

chief of the fogowie tribe, big don used too say that, my buddy next door who past away, but he called it the where the fukowie tribe.   :woot:

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4169 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:06 AM »

the funny thing about this conversation icydan, as I haven't been complaing, haven't complained in yrs about noise, this is just a debate about noise, I just added my 2 cents too someone elses paragraph when this started, but its feeling more like I started this conversation and I'm complaining, I'm not, do what please's you while your out there, we all have too make noise too fish, I just try to keep mine at a minimum, if it gets too crowded, I just move, pretty simple, as long as moving aint a nightmare, and it isn't right now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.