New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827279 times)

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #3210 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:57 PM »
well lets see what ya got  ?      pooch
ml

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
  • U.S. Navy Active Duty Photojournalist
« Reply #3211 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:57 PM »
looks like a pretty cold 10 day forecast. It's been a while since i've seen trucks on oneida. I remember years back when they would have the ice races in front of constantia. Just wondering if people think there will be enough ice for tucks this year. I measured 12" where i fished yesterday so that's almost enough. With the pressure cracks and gas holes you would never catch me with my truck on the ice no matter how thick it was. But there is always someone with more balls than me

It is interesting how different ice conditions are place to place. I grew up fishing Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin which is about two and a half times the size of Oneida, but much shallower. The local clubs were collecting Christmas trees and getting ready to plow the network of roads on the lake already by New Years Day.

Not sure about Oneida, but would love to get out on the ice somewhere if it's safe later in the season. I have a couple guys here, one from California and another from Georgia who were just floored when I mentioned I'd take them out.  ;D ;D
Good Luck & Good Fishing!

Jon

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3212 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Did we mark fish? Why yes we did, all day long like this!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D. Perch on the bottom, Eyes at 25 - 30 FOW all day long....every couple minutes they came in.

FISHFORPIKE

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3214 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Now the next question is did you catch the fish??? Of course we caught fish......... Racer almost had his trophy eye. He had one of those 7-8 pounders up to the hole before it got away. Boy that thing was big. Awesome day to be out, none stop action.

Offline travis9791

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3215 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:25 PM »
When i looked at the picture above i felt like the first time i looked at a vexilar and said where the heck are the fish on that screen. I've finally mastered my vexilar and now i keep hearing about these graph/sonar fish finders. I just bought a lowrance elite 7 this summer for my boat that has a graph and a flasher. I find myself using the flasher because i cant understand the graph. I'm sure once i spend hours staring at the lowrance like i have my vexilar i will understand it

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3216 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Those sure are some nice flash frozen eyes........good job!!!!!!
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3217 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Flash froze! Haha nice fish! I would have liked to see that 7lb  monster that got off. And I feel the same way about the graph vs flasher. I've only used a flasher a few times but it was easy to learn. I look at that and I can't figure out how many or how big the fish are ???

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #3218 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Now the next question is did you catch the fish??? Of course we caught fish......... Racer almost had his trophy eye. He had one of those 7-8 pounders up to the hole before it got away. Boy that thing was big. Awesome day to be out, none stop action.

these cold temps are great for ice cond.
great job on the eyes !!! ;D ;D.   Sully...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3219 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:44 PM »

well done pooch  ;D

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3220 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:46 PM »
Nice Walleye Popsicles! It was -22 here this morning, car's heater struggled keeping my feet warm and the windshield defrosted...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3221 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:48 PM »
how did i no that was coming. whats up with your truck pooch i see the hood up? by the way nice fish for you and racer
ml

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3222 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Nice job pooch and racer on braving the elements and bringing it home. Looks like im going to half to double up on the heaters as the girlfriend wont have it chilly in the shanty, lol

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3223 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:55 PM »

Way to go pooch and Racer ..... Diehards !
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3224 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Gonna be a week before you can fillet them ;D, nice job Pooch and Racer, way to brave the elements !!!!!
Jim K.

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3225 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Great job on the eyes under some brutal conditions Pooch & Racer. The Jewell Alps is one of my favorite areas despite the hill. We fished it on Friday and marked a lot of fish but only got a few to hit. We considered going out today but wimped out at the last minute. Guess we should have gone  :(.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3226 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:03 PM »

Nice work Pooch!!!!!!   :thumbsup:
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3227 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:04 PM »
It was -22 in North Bay in the morning and +1 when we were on the way home.  It was another fun day out there.  Pooch hit the magic hole and had non-stop action.  I didn't place myself quite as well and had a harder time.  That big eye was exciting, (I was in Pooch's shanty at the time.)  One of the end hooks on the rap got stuck on the hole as i tried to guide her head up.  As she swam by and I noticed my jig stuck my heart sank just a little.  It would have been nice to hoist her out for a few photo's.  No matter what she would have gone back down the hole. 

Oh well,  Another great day on Oneida!  Be back for the weekend.   

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3228 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:10 PM »
Nice job pooch and racer. :thumbsup: I met you guy's for a few minutes on that  rainy foggy friday 2 weeks ago in the parking lot at taft. You're hood was up on the pick up, so I went over to see if you needed a hand. You were lucky to have that friend who worked for  Interstate battery ,deliver you that new battery and alternator to the lake! I did not realize who you were, or I would have introduced myself. Today would not have been a good day to do that same job. Crazy cold out there..glad you caught those fish!
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3229 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Thanks everyone....I had truck problems for the last three days, think I got it right now. During the frenzy today, I dropped my phone in the bait bucket. The bucket was frozen and the lid would not close. I was talking to Big Jim and as the screen filled up, I quickly hung up and placed the phone on the top of the lid. After catching a fish, I looked for my phone. The buckeyes were making a 1-800 call. Also I dropped my gloves last night after I left Jewell. A homeowner named Mark found them and remembered my truck, when he saw me this morning he stopped and returned them to me. I would have been screwed. Thanks Mark. Still been a great week and better vacation.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3230 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:01 PM »
Nice job pooch and racer on braving the elements and bringing it home. Looks like im going to half to double up on the heaters as the girlfriend wont have it chilly in the shanty, lol

Two heaters would be a very good idea.

Offline ItsInTheHole

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing like a warm clam...
« Reply #3231 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:02 PM »
It was -22 in North Bay in the morning and +1 when we were on the way home.  It was another fun day out there.  Pooch hit the magic hole and had non-stop action.  I didn't place myself quite as well and had a harder time.  That big eye was exciting, (I was in Pooch's shanty at the time.)  One of the end hooks on the rap got stuck on the hole as i tried to guide her head up.  As she swam by and I noticed my jig stuck my heart sank just a little.  It would have been nice to hoist her out for a few photo's.  No matter what she would have gone back down the hole. 

Oh well,  Another great day on Oneida!  Be back for the weekend.

Man...I heard those New Hartford guys were wimps. I guess I heard wrong. Great job!
If you pack it in, pack it out.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3232 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:05 PM »
When i looked at the picture above i felt like the first time i looked at a vexilar and said where the heck are the fish on that screen. I've finally mastered my vexilar and now i keep hearing about these graph/sonar fish finders. I just bought a lowrance elite 7 this summer for my boat that has a graph and a flasher. I find myself using the flasher because i cant understand the graph. I'm sure once i spend hours staring at the lowrance like i have my vexilar i will understand it

I started with a Marcum Flasher and loved it. Now that I have this, I was hesitant about the graph. I started using the flasher on it, but changed to the graph as I learned to read it. As you can see, it is awesome. I would not go back to the flasher.

Offline ItsInTheHole

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing like a warm clam...
« Reply #3233 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Being a rookie ain't easy...forgot how to reply. ???
If you pack it in, pack it out.

Offline CNY Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3234 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Great job on those eyes Pooch and Racer and you guys are serious Diehards for enduring the frigid elements ;D!!!  Sorry to hear the big girl got away Racer, would have enjoyed viewing a picture of her!!!  Your a class act for wanting to take her picture and putting back under the ice to breed again!!!  Again congrats for your great day on the ice!!!
Retired U.S. Navy Senior Chief

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3235 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:17 PM »
I started with a Marcum Flasher and loved it. Now that I have this, I was hesitant about the graph. I started using the flasher on it, but changed to the graph as I learned to read it. As you can see, it is awesome. I would not go back to the flasher.
I don't know Pooch, I love my Marcum. I have the Lowrance Elite 4 which is GREAT for Navionics and is great for navigation, but to me it's tough to beat a flasher. I like them both, but the flasher gets the nod for fishing. My son loves the Lowrance (thanks to Reeleyz), because it shows vertical as opposed to circular, but I guess it comes down to what your used to. Congrats on the eyes Pooch  :)

Offline iceauger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1lb11oz Sodus bay
« Reply #3236 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Hey Pooch and Racer, them are some nice flash frozen walleyes you have there ;D

auger :tipup:

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3237 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Hats off to those who made it out today!   Had to work  :%$#!: or would a been. 
-18 by lewis this morning.  Incredible looking views and pics when that cold. Shanties look like they're on fire from the water vapor freezing

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #3238 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:26 PM »
I don't know Pooch, I love my Marcum. I have the Lowrance Elite 4 which is GREAT for Navionics and is great for navigation, but to me it's tough to beat a flasher. I like them both, but the flasher gets the nod for fishing. My son loves the Lowrance (thanks to Reeleyz), because it shows vertical as opposed to circular, but I guess it comes down to what your used to. Congrats on the eyes Pooch  :)

Thanks again, as far as what you just posted....the Lowrance does have a circular flasher, the vertical is called the amplitude scope.

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3239 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Thanks CNY.  We need to keep the big girls in the lake.  We have an amazing fishery here. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.