Author Topic: pop up or flip up shelters  (Read 1828 times)

Offline old man of the sea

• Team IceShanty Regular
pop up or flip up shelters
« on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:59 AM »
I purchased an Eskimo fat fish 9416 pop up this year and while it is great once it's set up, it can be a real task in a strong wind. Once it's set up, you probably won't be moving it much. I like the fact that the flip up shelters are so mobile, but I wonder about two things: 1) fishing so close to each other and 2) the weight of these shelters. Any comments?

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: pop up or flip up shelters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:40 PM »
I think it all depends on the style of fishing you do and if you typically fish with a small group or big group of family/ friends.

The flip over shelters are quite heavy and don't offer a lot of elbow room when you are fishing in a small group of people. The nice part about the flip overs is they are very fast in setting up when you are punching a lot of holes and are covering a lot of water looking for active fish. This is when the flip overs really excell. They are very fast and easy to set up or fold up when you are running and gunning.

I find when I head out with a group of people we aren't typically drilling and fishing 50 differeent holes in a day like I do by myself or when I'm out with one or two guys. When I head out with a group we might only move once all day so fast setup for a shelter isn't as important. Also, the pop up offers a lot of room. They are both great optons, just depends on how you typically fish and with how many people to find which shelter is best suited for you.
 Just my two cents.

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:45 PM »
I got a flip this year and would not trade it for anything.  I got a clam voyager so it has a fairly big sled.  Love how absolutely all of my gear fits in it, and I bring more gear than most people.  When pack up in the morning literally the only thing i need to load in the truck is the shelter and its that simple.  It's super nice for the mobility factor.  Very easy to hole hop with. 

I would not be the best if you usually fish in groups of 3 where everyone likes to be in the shelter though.   It can also see it being a tough pull when there is snow on the ice. 

Offline pickle84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:47 AM »
pop up i find easier portability fold it up and move you dont need a truck or sled to pull it  pull overs are better if you have a snowmobile but its alot of luggin in n outa trucks otherwize
You to can be like Jesus and walk on water ICE FISH!!!!

You will never know your friends from your enemies until the ice breaks!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:03 AM »
My popup has just been collecting dust since I got my otter flipover this year, so much more mobile theres no comparison. You can still fish 10-20 different holes a day in a flipover if you choose to. I plan on getting rid of my 3 man popup for the 6 man fatfish for when im fishing with a larger group though, I keep the flipover for when im solo or + 1.

"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline WalleyeNut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2012, 11:02 AM »
Nice thing about the flip over is that you don't have to flip it over and you have a nice comfortable chair to fish from on the nice days - beats sitting on a bucket.  I have RAM rod holders (ball type) on my boat so I got 3 extra balls and attached them to my Voyageur TCX - when I have company I drill 3 holes - and attach my rod holders - no worry of rods going down the hole.  I consider it important to get one with the insulated roof, no matter what your choice, as then you won't getting dripping from condensation.

Offline Goettler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2012, 01:04 PM »
I like my Fatfish 9416 because I usually fish with a group of friends and it works best for that.

Offline mikeo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Lets put it this way, we have 4 flips and 0 pop-ups.  My buddy has a pop-up but when he comes with us he leaves his pop-up at home and uses one of our flip-overs.

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Agreed. Flip overs are the way to go for the mobility factor and having the sled to carry gear. However I wouldn't go by the the manufacturer's idea of the size. The two man versions really only have enough room for one person etc. You might have two people fish comfortably in a three man. Other than that they are very versatile and an excellent way to get out of the elements. ;D
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Their is a 6 man flip over you can buy... that is 200+ pounds and would be a very big problem to move. BUT I ahve just got a Clam 6 man shelter and I set it up and turn on the heater. If it is slow in the hut I go outside and drill holes around the shack and when I'm cold, I go back in the shack and warm up. In the windy days you might want to buy a couple of the Eskimo ice screws and then the side of your hack facing hte wind. Tue a rope to that and tie a rope to the icce screw and it'll prevent your shack from popping inside. Just my 2 cents. I haven't ever used a flip over and I don't plan on it until I get old and want to fish by my self every single day. But by then I might just have a real shack so you can fish on days like today and not freeze solid  ;D

Offline fuzzy39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:17 PM »
I haven't used a Flip over but they seem super portable. I have a 4 man pop-up (about 5 years old) and it works well for me. I usually fish with a buddy or two and I carry the pop up on my back and pull a sled with my gear in it. I fish mainly at the Narrow Hills so I do a lot of walking to lakes and on lakes. We hole hop and move a lot when we fish for trout. Most days we simply keep the pop up set up and pull the whole thing along the snow so we don't have to pop it down and pop it up. This works no problem. Yes, it may not be the best for the tent, but at $180 bucks and still going strong after a lot of abuse, I think it has served its purpose. As far as the wind picking it up, this can be an issue if you don't address it. I simply tie one of the tents straps to my rope on my pull sled and we have no problems. Long story short, I think Flip up is the way to go, but pop ups aren't half bad either. Also, pop-ups work well as ground blinds for hunting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.