Author Topic: True fuel  (Read 3808 times)

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
True fuel
« on: Nov 29, 2015, 07:43 AM »
Anybody use this stuff? I normally drive up to Wisconsin to get premium gas with no ethanol. I only live about 20 minutes from the line. But have Ace hardware Home Depot etc. even closer. They carry true fuel.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
Re: True fuel
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:01 AM »
Its worth it, premium or non oxy still come from large bulk tanks. The issue with that is water forming as well as its not nearly as clean. Tru fuel will not go bad or form water like that as well as its convinet to take out to the lake in the can. Unless your burning through several gallons of gas in your auger, a can or two of tru fuels is worth it.
go hard or go home

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:02 AM »
I've used it for two seasons now goin' on three. The only bad thing I can say is it's expensive. If you go through a lot of fuel in a season it would be best to mix your own. I don't use that much fuel and always had left over pre-mix and like the convenience & shelf life. My auger started up first pull after refilling the tank & priming this year. It's good quality fuel that doesn't smoke you just pay a premium for being lazy & that's OK with me.
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:49 AM »
I have a Strikemaster StrikeLite (older model with 4 cycle Robin motor) and a Nils (Tanaka). After carb trouble with the Robin using Premium gas with ethanol, I switched to VIP Racing SEF(Small Engine Fuel) available at NAPA and other places. My research led me to believe it was better than other Synthetic fuels. I like to use AMSOIL, so I buy the 4 cycle and mix it myself. This stuff has an amazingly long shelf life.

Info about VIP SEF here:

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/sef-small-engine

Here is a thread that discusses various fuels in great detail:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38599.0

IMHO any synthetic fuel is better than Premium gas (Ethanol or not).

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:52 AM »
I have a strike master that takes 24 1 mix can't find it anywhere but use 50 1 in leaf blower and works great

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:59 AM »
I know there will be dissenting opinions but I'm not buyin' into the ethanol is evil thing. Over 25 years of buying the stuff for everything I own with basically zero problems is testimony enough for me.

Vehicle, performance outboard (87 octane specified by manufacturer for a reason), small outboard, numerous small engines (mower, tractor, chainsaws, weed trimmer, auger) basically everything I own gets 87 ethanol. Stored off season with less than full tanks in a cold garage has never presented an issue. With the exception of the tractor and mower in season everything gets some sort of fuel treatment. I've used Seafoam, Stabil (regular, marine and now 360) and Startron with equal success. Nothing ever sits longer than one off season without regular use and fuel treatments are used with every fill, all the time.

Sure there is a cost for the fuel treatments but they're easier to get than NE regular, if you can even find that..... Again, I know many of you will bark against this but over 25 years with zero issues is good enough for me.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:00 AM »
I have a strike master that takes 24 1 mix can't find it anywhere but use 50 1 in leaf blower and works great

Buy VP Racing SEF 4 cycle and mix it yourself.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:08 AM »
I know there will be dissenting opinions but I'm not buyin' into the ethanol is evil thing. Over 25 years of buying the stuff for everything I own with basically zero problems is testimony enough for me.

Vehicle, performance outboard (87 octane specified by manufacturer for a reason), small outboard, numerous small engines (mower, tractor, chainsaws, weed trimmer, auger) basically everything I own gets 87 ethanol. Stored off season with less than full tanks in a cold garage has never presented an issue. With the exception of the tractor and mower in season everything gets some sort of fuel treatment. I've used Seafoam, Stabil (regular, marine and now 360) and Startron with equal success. Nothing ever sits longer than one off season without regular use and fuel treatments are used with every fill, all the time.

Sure there is a cost for the fuel treatments but they're easier to get than NE regular, if you can even find that..... Again, I know many of you will bark against this but over 25 years with zero issues is good enough for me.

Same boat here...

Weed whips, outboards, blowers, chainsaws, augers, never any issues...

I think the key to our success is not letting anything sit more than 6 months without being used as it was intended...

I think the only time ethanol has caused trouble for me was in my dual fuel Colman stove and lantern...

<°)))>{

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:24 AM »
Used 2.5 cans of it last year and it started first pull yesterday it is all I will ever use in my gas auger again. So it cost me less than 20$ all year. Well worth the $ and hassle or lack there of.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:26 AM »
For 2 cycle mix I use the same thing for everything...... (Except the outboards get TCW3 spec). Whatever I grab off the shelf @ the hardware or F & F, usually Pennzoil or Quaker for air cooled engines. I've got stuff that calls for 50:1 and other stuff that calls for 24:1. I usually mix it all about 32:1, not exact but pretty close; all we're talking about is adequate lubrication without fouling plugs. I've had no issues with fouling stuff wanting the 50:1 or burning up something that wants the 24:1.

Here's a couple of mix charts off the back of the bottles I have:

US -

NOTE: 32:1 mixes to gallons in even ounces

Metric -

I knew one guy that was a hardcore bass tourney fisherman and he swore he ran straight gas in his Merc 150 in temps below 40 degrees claiming that the cold provided enough cool to combat friction. I don't believe I'd risk that but you get the idea.

I live in a tech world at work so I'm no stranger to the "latest and greatest" but I still think many things are overthought and, for me, if I can keep it simpler it's easier.

Sign me: the Odd One Out.......  ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:29 AM »
My state doesn't have any ethanol.
But if I lived where there was some I certainly would use true fuel or similar products.
I've read too many articles by certified/reputable mechanics to believe that ethanol doesn't cause any problems.
It's just not the best stuff for small engines seals ,carbs,etc.
If there's an alternative even at a premium price it's worth it.
I don't intend to start a debate on this just stating my opinion.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:35 AM »
For 2 cycle mix I use the same thing for everything...... (Except the outboards get TCW3 spec). Whatever I grab off the shelf @ the hardware or F & F, usually Pennzoil or Quaker for air cooled engines. I've got stuff that calls for 50:1 and other stuff that calls for 24:1. I usually mix it all about 32:1, not exact but pretty close; all we're talking about is adequate lubrication without fouling plugs. I've had no issues with fouling stuff wanting the 50:1 or burning up something that wants the 24:1.

Here's a couple of mix charts off the back of the bottles I have:

US -

NOTE: 32:1 mixes to gallons in even ounces

Metric -

I knew one guy that was a hardcore bass tourney fisherman and he swore he ran straight gas in his Merc 150 in temps below 40 degrees claiming that the cold provided enough cool to combat friction. I don't believe I'd risk that but you get the idea.

I live in a tech world at work so I'm no stranger to the "latest and greatest" but I still think many things are overthought and, for me, if I can keep it simpler it's easier.

Sign me: the Odd One Out.......  ;D
No Oil in temps below 40 degrees?? Raced MX my entire life in many conditions and I would have to say your buddy is nuts....Cool temps actually cause a lean condition...The oil provides lubrication for the lower and upper rod bearings not cooling...directly...b ut it's his motor..lol..I also run Bass tournaments and have a Merc 250 pro xs that I run here in Michigan in cold temps and I make sure the oil tank is full..lol
I run VP racing gas and Tru fuel in all my small engines.....It's worth the peace of mind..

Offline TacticalKeychains

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just a guy in his garage, trying to make a living.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:41 AM »
87 No Ethanol is the best fuel for any engine that has no computer.   It produces the most power, and who doesn't want that?

If it's for a 2 stroke, just mix your own and save TONS of money. I think I have Quaker state 2-stroke oil.  I just poured 3yr old 2 stroke gas in my auger yesterday to test it out, ran like a champ.

You will never know the difference between gas out of the pump, and true fuel.  If you're worried about water in your gas just use some "HEET" or "methanol" to it.

I add this to all gas, no matter what type - http://www.archoil.com/ar6000-fuel-treatments/  < Maybe that's the reason my 3yr old gas works just fine? I don't know, but my gas tank isn't even sealed, just has a paper towel in the spout.

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:47 AM »
I have used it for 3 years works great. In some of my equipment I just use it to store items for the off season works fantastic.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:26 AM »
I have used it before and it works fine. I mix my own. I go through 10-15 gallons a winter between the ice auger and chain saws. If anything sits for more than 2 weeks it gets dumped in the farmall m and I get fresh stuff. That M will burn semi refined dinosaur piss...

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:40 AM »
Engines themselves will run fine on fuels with ethanol added to them.  The problem is that most standard fuel lines and gaskets will eventually break down from it.  Alcohol is a drying agent and your basic rubber fuel lines and gaskets are typically made out of rubber.  The alcohol will dry the rubber gaskets/lines out making it more brittle and it will start to break down.  The gunk that comes with the breakdown of standard rubber doesn't play well with engines especially if it is left sitting for long periods of time.  Since automobiles are in constant use the fuel with ethanol in it doesn't sit long enough for it to become an issue.  It also won't be as big of an issue with mechanical (i.e. non fuel injected) fuel systems.  It can be a major pain in the rear if you have something used seasonally that is fuel injected such as an outboard. 

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2015, 11:00 AM »
Well I use ethonol in my car and truck but  chainsaw, blower lawnmower and auger I use reg unleaded with 75:1 amsoil sabre pro, its synthetic.  Heet treatment comes either in ethonol or methanol it says on the bottle so I don't use it in the 2cycle.  With the amsoil you can go 100:1 but I go the conservative route.  Also I believe the older strikemaster augers had a revision by the company to 40:1.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2015, 03:40 PM »
Howdy Friends....   True Fuel totally turned my 80's  vintage Model 30 10" from acceptable to "holy cow"!!!  Kinda surprised no one else hasn't mentioned it but if switchin from ethanol gas to True Fuel it is wise to changethe old weak  diaphram (Jiffy) for a new one!  Also I had to RE-adjust my carb screws and now it screams!  Just my $.02!    Stay safe.....O.P. :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2015, 04:14 PM »
Tried it last year. Got sick of the e fuel going bad in a couple weeks, stabil or not. Had issues with e ever since it got shoved up my a--. Here in Ct. a bunch of people had major problems with the boat motors. Ethanol absorbs water and separates over time. These e free fuels are a snap to use too. No mixing. Just pour and run.
Both Jiffy and Strikemaster have revised there older manuals to recommend 40 to 1 in all there augers.

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2015, 01:05 AM »
OK this is what I do for a living, mechanic !!!15 years of small engines, and now heavy equipment and still small engine. Ethanol is horrible for 2 cycle engines , why??? Because oil will not bond with ethanol !!! That's why sthil,echo, and all others make us test for it on warranty . If it's over 10 percent your screwed. Not to mention its not a hidden thing it gathers a ton of water !!! And also if it sits to long it starts to turn to varnish, all gummy and if you do get it to start and run on that old fuel it's bye,bye engine!!! Thank god I moved to Alaska and don't have to deal with it anymore !!! Lots of people couldn't understand why their 2 cycles took a dump lol!! Gas pumps that say up to 10% may have more like 17-20 % I know I've found a lot of them. And that's when you start running into big problems. The shelf fuel you can buy is the way to go if you can afford it, or if you don't use a lot
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2015, 08:26 PM »
That M will burn semi refined dinosaur piss...
So true jajajaja
go hard or go home

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2015, 08:39 PM »
I've been running the Stihl pre-mixed fuel in my augers. NEVER had an issue. Auger sat for 9 months and started on the third pull on Thanksgiving:)

Offline redsoctober19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2015, 01:06 AM »
Jiffy and Strikemaster have revised there older manuals to recommend 40 to 1 in all there augers...... Is this true,  my strikemaster says 24:1.  But I started mixing 40:1.  Runs way better, easier to start, even though it only ever took a few pulls.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2015, 07:28 AM »
The best thing about TruFuel honestly? The package. I love being able to have a spare liter of gas in the truck or the jet sled in that leak proof can. Way better than a plastic 1 gallon with a plastic nozzle that can break off while you are pulling the jet sled behind a snowmobile. Oh, and ethanol sucks!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2015, 08:34 AM »
I pay thirty cents per gallon more for ethanol free 87 octane gas here. Since I will not be able to be on the ice this winter my pickup is filled with it, treated with Sea Foam and garaged. I'm thankful to have the option here.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2015, 09:33 AM »
The best thing about TruFuel honestly? The package. I love being able to have a spare liter of gas in the truck or the jet sled in that leak proof can. Way better than a plastic 1 gallon with a plastic nozzle that can break off while you are pulling the jet sled behind a snowmobile. Oh, and ethanol sucks!

I've bought the cans of gas just for the cans! $8 to buy one, I figure its $2 for the gas and $6 for the can. An MSR bottle is like $20 bucks for a quart can.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2015, 05:00 PM »
An MSR bottle is like $20 bucks for a quart can.

That's what I use, those little bottles are the perfect size for a couple auger fill ups...

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.