Author Topic: jack traps  (Read 19905 times)

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
jack traps
« on: Dec 22, 2008, 01:44 PM »
I purchased $200. worth of Jack Traps tip ups last year. Almost immediately the flag steel started to rust to the point where it started pitting. If I don't oil the steel after EVERY use, the rust comes back to the point where rust scale flies of the steel when it is pushed through the guides. Anyone else have this problem? I have 40 year old Tucker tip ups with no rust and 12.00 High Flag  cheapos over ten years old that don't rust. When I called Tim at jacktraps and tried to explain this said there was nothing he could do about it and he actually hung up on me! Are all jacktraps like this or did I get a bad batch of flag steel?

Offline peasy207

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: jack traps
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008, 01:47 PM »
mine did that also, bought em last year most of the rust just rubbed off.

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "DROP THAT FISH" - B. Meredith - Grumpy Old Men 93
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2008, 01:48 PM »
That blows.  Obvioulsy they used crappy steel.  Can you return them (doesn;t sound like it).   Can you replace the steel for stainless flag steel.  I know it will cost, but not sure you have an alternative.   Could try painting them with rustoleum
"I've caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson" - Max Goldman - Grumpy Old Men 1993

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2008, 02:32 PM »
Dammit i just bought 2 jack traps to try out this year. Haven't used them yet though. Hope they don't have the same problem. I'll report back sometime after i use them.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2008, 02:50 PM »
Was looking at getting a set. Now I'll wait to see. :tipup:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline peasy207

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2008, 02:54 PM »
I don't think I'd have bought anything else...

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008, 02:56 PM »
What brand? I was on the web and looked a two manufactures.  one was simpley jacktraps.com. and the other was a small maine company.  I like the maine company, but only 26" traps  (I like 30+)
"I've caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson" - Max Goldman - Grumpy Old Men 1993

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:09 PM »
Obviously you DON'T always get what you pay for...  I am still unsure how Jack Traps get away with charging more than $30 for a set-up...

The most reliable setups I've got are cheapos from South Bend or other companies.  It's almost funny how many problems and complaints I hear about Jack Traps- but then again- you dropped two bills for yours so I promise I am not laughing at all.

When you really look at the design and function of a tip-up, obivously all you really want is reliability, durability and compactness for carrying and transporting.

From what I have heard and seen regarding Jack Traps- they really don't provide a great deal of ANY of those qualities, especially for their costs.  If you have to perform that much cleaning after a day of ice fishing- what is the real purpose, right?

I don't know about you- but if I spent that kind of money on a product, only to be hung up on by someone obviously indifferent to customer service, I'd be pretty ticked off (to say the least).

I guess what I am saying is- if you go cheap you can alwasy chalk it up to crappy gear.  But when you spend that kind of dough and realize you'd be better off with $10 tip-ups, it can get your blood boiling.

Boo for Jack Traps and their customer service.  There is no excuse for cheap steel and rusty flags...
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:44 PM »
 How in the hell these companies charge 30.00 or more for a tip-up is ridiculous. I would be pissed if I spent that much, and they started rusting already. I'll stick with my Polars, half as much and never had a problem with them. Very unprofessional of them to hang up on you. I would rip them on the internet for their lack of courtesy.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:51 PM »
I agree with lake snake I have a set of 10 year old polars no rust and have never had a problem
Dave

Offline burndoubt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:32 PM »
I was just looking at jacktraps. This has definitely changed my mind. I will be sticking with the heritage lakers.

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Jack traps seem like a piece of furniture they are so nice.But for the price they better be. I noticed rust on my Black magic tilts and i didn't like it.I'm not sure about heritage?But i've read that you need to replace the springs once in awhile.

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:38 PM »
  One quick note. We are putting these in,on and near the water.  I fix vehicles all day and everything is rusting.  I believe the flag steel is spring steel and a light coat of oil is in order.  You wouldnt take your rifle through a rainy day without wiping it down.  Just trying to be open minded about it. 

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Mungo wrote: "When I called Tim at jacktraps and tried to explain this said there was nothing he could do about it and he actually hung up on me"! 

Sounds like "Tim" is the owner?....or just a customer service person?  I don't know enough about the company, but I'd say that as long as you were courteous and didn't give Tim a reason to hang up on you then I'd say that was poor customer service.  You see what Tim has done?  I've already read like 3 people saying they are not going to go with those tip ups now.  Having worked in customer service myself in the past you can see here how this develops.  Nothing worse than BAD word of mouth about someones product....because just like the commercial...they'll tell 2 friends...and so on ....and so on...and so on.  Tim should have made it right especially seeing how much you paid for the traps.  These obviously aren't cheap!  I own Heritage lakers myself and can tell you...well oiled gun or not....those tip ups are the same as the day I bought them and I don't oil them or anything.   I do see they get dried off in the appropriate climate soon after I'm done using them.  I know I will not purchase them seeing the problems you've had.  Not worth the hassle.  I'll purchase more Heritage lakers if I need more quality tipups.  I hope it works out for you. 
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:06 PM »
i dont actually own a set of jack traps. but the owner made me five grease tubes for the traps my father made 20 years ago because the fellow who made the origional moosehead traps back then no longer does. or has passed away im not sure.

i have had great performance out of these tubes over the last three years.

my steel flags are a little rusty, but heck they are old. im not sure why yours rusted that quickly. thats odd.
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:31 AM »
  One quick note. We are putting these in,on and near the water.  I fix vehicles all day and everything is rusting.  I believe the flag steel is spring steel and a light coat of oil is in order. 

Like I said, I have 40 year old Tucker tipups with NO rust, and cheapo 10 year old Hi Flags that are rust free. Seems rediculous to me to use aluminum or stainless steel on spools screws and even staples, and then use unprotected spring steel for the flag.

Offline peasy207

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2008, 12:41 PM »
  One quick note. We are putting these in,on and near the water.  I fix vehicles all day and everything is rusting.  I believe the flag steel is spring steel and a light coat of oil is in order.  You wouldnt take your rifle through a rainy day without wiping it down.  Just trying to be open minded about it. 

exactly!!...people just don't want to take care of them I guess I know many guys who have had thier jacks for 20 years and were in mint shape.. I'm glad I bought them, seems like all the flatlanders are up in arms about some maine made products. I know if i step on one or drop one it will fair better than a polar thats for damn sure!

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2008, 12:52 PM »
I've got 3. I love'em. Good product.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2008, 01:03 PM »
i would think a company that claims to make awesome, or the best traps, would have awesome customer service and would replace things. i have heard that jacktraps are the best, and i've heard that they are crap. i will not spend 30-50 bux on a single trap, no matter how good the company claims they are. i have a few traps that are around 50 years old that my dad gave me, and i still use them with no problems at all. so i'll stick with them and my heritage traps
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:41 PM »

" seems like all the flatlanders are up in arms about some maine made products. "

Not up in arms, Maine has nothing to do with it, though the comment about flatlanders makes me wonder if there is some type of superiority complex thing going on.. I am irritated at the arrogance of a guy that can't accept the fact that there is a defect in his product , tells me he won't do anything about it, then hangs up on me. Overall the jacktrap is well made, quality materials, except for the weight factor they are as good as any. People complain about the price, but I think overall they are worth the money. I actually was going to buy another set of five  for myself ( the first five I bought were a present for my son) but I won't buy anything from Mr. Jackson after the way he treated me.I will post some pics of the flag steel to let people judge for themselves whether they think the amount of rust is acceptable. The steel is actually pitting on these things and they were only used one season.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2008, 04:09 AM »
Just for clarification, he said there was nothing they could do about it and hung up on you. Call him back and tell him that you post to a site that thousands of ice fishers read. If you don't get satisfaction, their sales may drop off. I don't think the fool realizes that the vast majority of dissatisfied customers do not complain, so that when one does, he statistically represents many.       

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2008, 05:32 AM »
well you can bet after reading a post how they hung up i don't think i'll be buying any but i may have a answer  but it will cost you 10 bucks! i'm a trapper and every year i have to dye my traps to avoid rust, if you go to a fur buyer or gander mtn in my area carrys it ,andy stoes speed dip it's a coating that will coat the steel turn it a dark bluish black.i use it on all my traps i use for water sets and does a fine job.perhaps you know a trapper and he'll let you come over a dip the parts,good luck

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2008, 06:54 AM »
Why don't you improve an already quality product. You can replace the spring steel for the flag with a stainless steel one. You can also install a drag feature by adding a long carridge bolt. spacer, nylon washers, and a wing nut. Custom performace features are added all of the time with vehicles, boats, rifles, etc. All those "performance features" I mentioned for the jacks are standard equipment on the allagsh traps. I have jacks for myself and ended up getting both of my sons allagash traps last year.

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2008, 06:54 AM »
Mungo,
 Out of the 5 traps that you bought...How many are getting rust on them?
Where did you buy them?? You should be able to return one or all if need be.. ;)

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2008, 08:48 AM »
I've got 10 Jack traps. Been using em for years now. No problems at all.

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2008, 08:51 AM »
Mungo,
 Out of the 5 traps that you bought...How many are getting rust on them?
Where did you buy them?? You should be able to return one or all if need be.. ;)

All of them are rusted. When we took them out for the first time this year and slid the steel thru the staples the rust scale flew off like powder. The steel is pitted.They had been wiped with wd 40 before storage last year. This can't be typical of all jacktraps, that is the point I was trying to make, that there must have been a bad batch of spring steel or something. I emailed twice and never got a reply, so that is why I called him directly. I won't call there again. When someone slams the phone in my ear I don't give them another chance.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2008, 08:53 AM »
It's funny to read suggestions regarding 'performace upgrades' on peices of equipment that are already overpriced and not so great...  The poor guy spent $200 on equipment that the manufacturer won't even vouch for- and now you want him to go out and spend more dough on the same equipment?

I dunno', it just seems like putting a fancy stereo in a car that's going to fall apart soon anyway...

As you can see from these posts, you're best bet isi saving that money and spending it on some Heritage Lakers or far LESS expensive equipment that you can customize with the 'extra' money.

Do you guys really have FIFTY dollar tip-ups?  Jeeezus, that seems pretty rediculous, doesn't it?
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:10 AM »
What is the brand and do youn have a website or way to see this product.
1. I want to make sure I never buy
2. I might have to make a phone call to harrass them   >:D (not really, but I do want to know what not to buy)

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:26 AM »
What is the brand and do youn have a website or way to see this product.
1. I want to make sure I never buy
2. I might have to make a phone call to harrass them   >:D (not really, but I do want to know what not to buy)

The website is :

http://jacktraps.com/

I purchased directly from the manufacturer, his name is Tim Jackson. LL Bean, Kittery and several other stores carry them, and I never read anything negative about these tip ups. That is why I couldn't understand why the tip ups I got were so bad. My intent in posting here  was not to hurt Tim's business, but only to ask others in this forum if they had similar problems. The feedback I am getting seems to confirm my belief that the traps I received are not typical of the way jacktraps perform. Too bad Mr. Jackson couldn't swallow his pride and at least entertain the idea that one of his products might be less than perfect.

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:32 AM »
Why don't you improve an already quality product. You can replace the spring steel for the flag with a stainless steel one. You can also install a drag feature by adding a long carridge bolt. spacer, nylon washers, and a wing nut. Custom performace features are added all of the time with vehicles, boats, rifles, etc. All those "performance features" I mentioned for the jacks are standard equipment on the allagsh traps. I have jacks for myself and ended up getting both of my sons allagash traps last year.

The guy uses stainless steel STAPLES for goodness sake, you would think he would use a better quality steel for the flag.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.