The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: TIP UP SELECTION  (Read 397 times)

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
TIP UP SELECTION
« on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:04 PM »
 :tipup: WHAT TYPE OF TIP UP WOULD YOU GUYS RECOMEND? I WAS LOOKING AT THOSE POLAR TIP UPS BUT I WOULD LIKE SOMETHING TO COVER THE HOLE. MY FRIEND HAS THOSE ICE BROS TIP UPS AND THOSE ARE NICE BUT I CAN'T FIND THEM. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE NICE.

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
Re: TIP UP SELECTION
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:29 PM »
i use the long plastic polars with the medal shank, but try and find the large spool. The little spools do not hold enough line. If you are worried about covering the hole for light kick a little slush in the hole.... if the freezin is your concern I cut a foam/rubber mat in 12in circles, run the shank of my tip up through the middle of it and the foam/rubber mat covers my 8-10 inch hole and slows freezin big time

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2009, 07:49 AM »
Another question you have to ask yourself is whether you're fishing in deeper snow.  Polars might be okay where there isn't much snow but where there's snow and sleds, you might have some run over tip-ups.  I've run Jack Traps for about four years now and couldn't be happier.  They are not cheap though. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2009, 04:49 PM »
Another question you have to ask yourself is whether you're fishing in deeper snow.  Polars might be okay where there isn't much snow but where there's snow and sleds, you might have some run over tip-ups.  I've run Jack Traps for about four years now and couldn't be happier.  They are not cheap though. 

+1.  Mine arent Jack's, but they sit tall enough to be seen.  By me or others.  In all reality, polars are fine for most fishing.  Just keep track of them.  I have maple built traps that are very similar to polars...just a bit taller, and older...LOL 

M.I.R.C. 

Offline aslongasitpullback

• IceShanty Rookie
  • what a mess we have created
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2009, 06:09 PM »
I have the frabil round floating ones. the instruction say that they are for ice or open water fishing. never tried them for open water.....
I tell you they are the best design out there for round insulated tip-ups....
they stow away so nice in a bucket, they fit perfect. I have 4 at the bottom of a 7.5gl bucket and all my ice rods still fit with out falling out.....
the other plus to them is that the spool tucks up in side of them and they have a cork glued to the end of it to place the hook..... no more rubber bands and tagled messes to worry a bout....
My $.02

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.