Author Topic: Leader material for pike  (Read 3149 times)

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Leader material for pike
« on: Dec 24, 2019, 08:47 PM »
There was a recent post about flouro leaders for pike that made me wonder something and instead of hijacjing the thread I decided to ask everyone:

What’s the advantage of a flouro leader over say just using steelon or even titanium (I know the titanium can be pricey)? I’ve never known a pike to be very picky at all when it comes to terminal tackle. I can understand a line shy species but I don’t think of pike when I think of a line shy species. I use 30-50lb mason and a 6-12” steelon leader with a size 2 treble. They hit that just fine. I think being on a body of water that actually holds a certain fish is more important than the rig you’re using to catch them. I don’t know though. Maybe I’m just not seeing it.

Am I missing something? Am I just being ignorant? Or is there actually something to flouro and pike? I mean, we have people landing 40” pike on hotdogs for crying out loud, I honestly don’t think leader material matters in regards to pike. Or is it more a personal choice of the angler? I’ve never used flouro for pike so I guess I can’t really comment on something I haven’t done but I guess I’m failing to see the point in it.

Who uses flouro leaders for pike and what made you come to the conclusion that using a flouro leader was the best setup to run with?
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Leader material for pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2019, 08:59 PM »
Just 20# bigbgame line on mine.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2019, 09:07 PM »
Mostly a personal choice.  There's an advantage and there's a preference.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2019, 09:19 PM »
Ive been trying to use 7 strand wire traces that i make with esox xtms tool he gave me but i used 20 to 25# big game mono mostly.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2019, 09:23 PM »
It’s not about the line shyness of the fish it’s about the teeth. Floro is more abrasion resistant than mono. 20-25lb floro is perfect for bite leaders on musky/pike.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2019, 09:50 PM »
We're often targeting lake trout in the same water as pike so I use 25# fluoro.  Tied up some titanium quickstrikes last season and like them but haven't caught a trout on them yet.

Really liking seaguar sts for the lower $/ft.  Tough to tie blood knots in though...

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2019, 09:51 PM »
I use 20 pound seagar Abrase-x flouro. Works for me.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2019, 10:06 PM »
Never have had a good reason to not use wire.  Any mono or floro thick enough to stand a chance is so stiff any advantage gained is lost imo

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2019, 11:07 PM »
Nothing wrong with 20 lb black braided line and a 10 or 12 lb mono leader with a 10" steel leader hook.  Steel leader keep mono out of pikes teeth and braided line doesn't have spool memory and stretches straight right off the  tip-up spool.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2019, 12:52 AM »
I use red wire and crimps.  Loved the results last year.  Made quick strike rigs and had ZERO bite offs.  First year thats ever happened for me.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2019, 02:08 AM »
7 Strand guy here

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2019, 07:16 AM »
Mono.
Love the stretch. Takes some getting used to.
Way more action.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2019, 09:07 AM »
I use 40 lbs power pro ,  the minnow swims longer before giving up. Not fighting the stiffness of a steelon leader. I dont  horse the fish just let them run about 5 times and they tire out really fast. Have fought many 37 to 40 in fish and large walleyes on the same set up and the they dont kink

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2019, 10:00 AM »
I use 20# p-line floro leader about 5' long with good results. Tried 30# power pro braid fishing line once for leader material, emphasis on "once". Can't cut the stuff with fingernail clippers but a nice pike cut me off slicker than snot on Cranberry Lake one day.
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2019, 10:17 PM »
I use 20# Berkeley Vanish fluoro leader material.  The pike don't seem to care whether you are using fluoro or wire.  The walleye do.  So, I use fluoro to cover my bases.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:20 PM »
OK, someone invoked my name so I gotta wade in again...

First and foremost: Any gel spun PE product is out as a primary pike/pickerel/musky leader. I don't care if you you use 100# test. It stands up to abrasion very well but you can cut it very easily with a knife edge. And that's pike teeth. Not just sharp on the points like the ice pick teeth walleye have but also, literally, razor sharp on the sides which is where the problem comes. My confidence in ANY superline, by that I mean any Spectra, Kevlar, Dyneema etc., as a leader material for pike/muskies is absolutely zero.

When they first came widely available I was excited and intrigued to hear that "muskie guides were throwing away their steel" in deference to this miracle product. Really, just try to cut it with a clipper or bite it with your teeth, no way. It must be fabulous. Only within parameters I discovered. After losing my first three flags of the year fishing a modified 35# superline quick strike rigs with little to zero pressure (one cut the leader before I even got to the flag). No, not knot failure or crappy line. Cut...

As an illustration take a brand new razor blade and a length of your superline of choice. Stretch it fairly tight as if the pressure of a fish was on it, place it against the razor blade and let it slide just a bit until...........well you'll see. The sides of pike teeth are equally as sharp and that is where the problem lies. No superline for dedicated pike leaders. Period.

Second: What's wrong with wire? Hmmm? It's thin, flexible, cheap, easy to work with and not particularly visible (more on that later).

Third: I get the allure of plastic leaders. They're "invisible". Sure. And I got a bottle of stuff that cures everything from hangnails to cancer. As far as fluoro goes, I believe that while they are different than conventional nylon based monofilaments, 10# does not provide enough insurance against bite offs, even in seasoned hands. Again, I did some early trials with some 20# test fluoro leader material with circle hooks and lost several fish to bite offs in the process. Many that got into weeds and cut themselves off before I could even get to the flag. Sure I landed pike and some good ones, but there were those that cut through the 20# with the barest of pressure. However, based on my experiences and associations will revisit the fluoro product only in 60# this time. 50-60# IMO is the minimum test that provides enough diameter to resist most bite offs. Fluoro is way tougher than nylon.

I've been in this discussion in a number of places already, so I guess I'll throw it out again. Fish brains are maybe the size of a pea (the big ones, fish not peas) and for the most part I do not believe that visibility of leaders, swivels, snaps or other terminal tackle does much individually to put fish off.

That said, the combination of clunky snap/swivels with unduly thick line/leader and over size hooks can limit a finesse presentation to the point where a fish will not commit. I've been through a number of discussions on other boards regarding leader shyness, yet the lures that are being presented sport 5/0 trebles or better. Oh yeah, you're showing me a lure with three giant treble hooks swinging from it and yet you are worried that I'll see the leader and realize that eating is a bad idea. I'm not getting the point.

No disrespect to anyone posting their opinions here, I just don't get the quest for "invisibility". Take red line, leaders, hooks etc. Depending on who you listen to, the red can incite a vicious bite because it represents blood in the water OR it can render solid object "invisible" in the water. I'm confused. Marketing...

To those that feel the need for an "invisibility cloak" I submit that IF you use a suitable pound test (read 50 - 60#) to protect you from a casual biteoff that my bait on a thinner and more flexible wire has a big advantage in lower visibility AND better bait movement.

My take is to use strong, reliable quality tackle with a size appropriate to your bait, prey or presentation. Fish effectively in good locations with efficient techniques and you will be rewarded. IF you are "crossover fishing" you have two choices:  1.) Focus on a species other than pike and take the occasional biteoff as the tradeoff. OR 2.) Focus on pike and take reduced bites from your secondary species as collateral damage. There is no perfect middle ground. It's all tradeoff.

In case you haven't noticed this is really not a simple Q and A.

Of course my focus is mostly predator oriented so as usual...

Just my opinion, user mileage may vary...

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2019, 07:19 PM »
20lb mono tops

Flouro withstands abrasion, but once it gets knicked or frayed, it breaks with little pressure. It takes more to initially damage it, but once it is done, flouro is super weak.

Mono can take a bunch of knicks and rubs and still have enough integrity to pull in the pike.

One of my buddies who will read this  ;) uses 15lb mono

We get big pike without breaking off.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Uncoated seven strand for this old boy. No more fluoro, no more titanium, no more sorrow. I differ from esox_xtm on quickstrike geometry but his thoughts on leaders should be

written in letters of gold.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2019, 07:49 PM »
Uncoated seven strand for this old boy. No more fluoro, no more titanium, no more sorrow. I differ from esox_xtm on quickstrike geometry but his thoughts on leaders should be written in letters of gold.

Ditto...can’t say it better that old Esox.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2019, 07:49 PM »
OK, someone invoked my name so I gotta wade in again...

First and foremost: Any gel spun PE product is out as a primary pike/pickerel/musky leader. I don't care if you you use 100# test. It stands up to abrasion very well but you can cut it very easily with a knife edge. And that's pike teeth. Not just sharp on the points like the ice pick teeth walleye have but also, literally, razor sharp on the sides which is where the problem comes. My confidence in ANY superline, by that I mean any Spectra, Kevlar, Dyneema etc., as a leader material for pike/muskies is absolutely zero.

When they first came widely available I was excited and intrigued to hear that "muskie guides were throwing away their steel" in deference to this miracle product. Really, just try to cut it with a clipper or bite it with your teeth, no way. It must be fabulous. Only within parameters I discovered. After losing my first three flags of the year fishing a modified 35# superline quick strike rigs with little to zero pressure (one cut the leader before I even got to the flag). No, not knot failure or crappy line. Cut...

As an illustration take a brand new razor blade and a length of your superline of choice. Stretch it fairly tight as if the pressure of a fish was on it, place it against the razor blade and let it slide just a bit until...........well you'll see. The sides of pike teeth are equally as sharp and that is where the problem lies. No superline for dedicated pike leaders. Period.

Second: What's wrong with wire? Hmmm? It's thin, flexible, cheap, easy to work with and not particularly visible (more on that later).

Third: I get the allure of plastic leaders. They're "invisible". Sure. And I got a bottle of stuff that cures everything from hangnails to cancer. As far as fluoro goes, I believe that while they are different than conventional nylon based monofilaments, 10# does not provide enough insurance against bite offs, even in seasoned hands. Again, I did some early trials with some 20# test fluoro leader material with circle hooks and lost several fish to bite offs in the process. Many that got into weeds and cut themselves off before I could even get to the flag. Sure I landed pike and some good ones, but there were those that cut through the 20# with the barest of pressure. However, based on my experiences and associations will revisit the fluoro product only in 60# this time. 50-60# IMO is the minimum test that provides enough diameter to resist most bite offs. Fluoro is way tougher than nylon.

I've been in this discussion in a number of places already, so I guess I'll throw it out again. Fish brains are maybe the size of a pea (the big ones, fish not peas) and for the most part I do not believe that visibility of leaders, swivels, snaps or other terminal tackle does much individually to put fish off.

That said, the combination of clunky snap/swivels with unduly thick line/leader and over size hooks can limit a finesse presentation to the point where a fish will not commit. I've been through a number of discussions on other boards regarding leader shyness, yet the lures that are being presented sport 5/0 trebles or better. Oh yeah, you're showing me a lure with three giant treble hooks swinging from it and yet you are worried that I'll see the leader and realize that eating is a bad idea. I'm not getting the point.

No disrespect to anyone posting their opinions here, I just don't get the quest for "invisibility". Take red line, leaders, hooks etc. Depending on who you listen to, the red can incite a vicious bite because it represents blood in the water OR it can render solid object "invisible" in the water. I'm confused. Marketing...

To those that feel the need for an "invisibility cloak" I submit that IF you use a suitable pound test (read 50 - 60#) to protect you from a casual biteoff that my bait on a thinner and more flexible wire has a big advantage in lower visibility AND better bait movement.

My take is to use strong, reliable quality tackle with a size appropriate to your bait, prey or presentation. Fish effectively in good locations with efficient techniques and you will be rewarded. IF you are "crossover fishing" you have two choices:  1.) Focus on a species other than pike and take the occasional biteoff as the tradeoff. OR 2.) Focus on pike and take reduced bites from your secondary species as collateral damage. There is no perfect middle ground. It's all tradeoff.

In case you haven't noticed this is really not a simple Q and A.

Of course my focus is mostly predator oriented so as usual...

Just my opinion, user mileage may vary...
Phew, thats alot of words.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2019, 03:24 AM »
20lb mono tops

Flouro withstands abrasion, but once it gets knicked or frayed, it breaks with little pressure. It takes more to initially damage it, but once it is done, flouro is super weak.

Mono can take a bunch of knicks and rubs and still have enough integrity to pull in the pike.

One of my buddies who will read this  ;) uses 15lb mono

We get big pike without breaking off.
Mono is terrible to use as a leader. Especially in as little as 20 # test but to each his own. If you’re serious about pike 50#+ flouro or wire for leaders is a must. Other than that you risk breaking off at any time.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2019, 04:23 AM »
I now only use 60# flouro or AFW single strand titanium. I have been bit off using 40# and 50# flouro. Not taking any more chances. Anybody using less is either lucky or catching small fish. Refuse to let equipment failure be an option considering what I put in.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2019, 06:01 AM »
I'm with esox_xtm on the whole invisibility thing...even with pannies. Let me give you MY analogy...ok...opinion ...cause that's what we do here😉. Fish bite (eat) because they're hungry. And their main focus is the "meat" that is put in front of them. They see AND smell what is in front of them. Take pike for example. I used to do a lot of spearing. And I would put my decoy, usually live, on any hook or line I had in my box. Didn't matter. And I have had them come into my hole slow and methodical  to attacking that minnow like it was shot out of a cannon. They paid no mind what it was attached to. Grab it and go was their plan. I've seen them hit perch that were deep in the weeds and watch them come out with fish and weeds hanging out of their mouth. As for pannies...about the same thing. See and smell food...eat food(if they're hungry)...carry on. Now, I will admit that I do go "ultra gear" when fishing these guys. But when I started ice fishing many years ago there was no " micro" ANYTHING. 6# test line was the finest there was...and we caught fish...plenty of them. Another case in point, I recently went to an ice fishing seminar that was conducted by several members of the U.S. ice team and one particular fellow piqued my interest when he said he uses 5# hi-vis yellow line, no clear leader and tight lines on a Schooley rod and reel. He also said he is never concerned about how much line is hanging off his tag at the jig. He and his partner took 2nd place at the world championship last year. Interesting. So bottom line is, other than going with a hay bale hook at the end of a logging chain, we might be overthinking what a fish might see as "bothersome" when they are hungry and wanting to eat. With that said, I'm still going to fish with my ultralight rod, 3# test mono, 3mm tungstens and a maggot...just in case they're only wanting a snack 😉. But my tipups? Go big or go home...a good wire leader, big treble, big minnow. Works for me.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Phew, thats alot of words.

Granted, but this is one discussion where "use XYZ, nuff said" doesn't get it done. There's lots of odd logic, incomplete thinking and blind following that is often just plain bad advice.

So, Light liner, short answer: For pike, use something very thin, as flexible as possible and cut resistant if not cut-proof. Remember, this is for pike, not pannies or trout.

Last week I was out with my buddy that is a devoted plastic (fluoro) leader guy. 50# for pike, 8# for walleye and 25# for a "crossover" rig. He catches fish and plays them well. Anyway, he gets a flag on a 25# fluoro leader. We go over and the tippy is spinning a bit. Then it takes off like it's headed to the moon. No slowing down so pulls the tippy and starts to put gentle pressure on to slow the fish. Ping! Gone. Barely felt the thing he said. And yes, despite his love of plastic he does know what he's doing playing a fish. Here he never got the chance.

Offline colby157

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:18 AM »
It’s crazy how so many people are using 20-25lb mono/flouro for pike. It doesn’t matter how well you claim you fight the fish you are with out a doubt going to break bigger fish off. I play my fish pretty soft and one hook on my QS got cut off on brand new 60lb mono on a 30” fish. For flouro vs wire. I’m not sure if it makes a huge difference. I think big hooks and terminal tackle will make fish more weary than the line. I think on highly pressured lakes where the fish swim around lines all day, going with 2ft of 60lb flouro to a single hook may be your best bet.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2019, 10:48 AM »
Mono.
Love the stretch. Takes some getting used to.
Way more action.

This right here.  Those using wire won't lose any, because they won't get many flags to begin with!  Sure, you'll catch pike, and some big ones too, but you won't get nearly as much action as you would with mono.  I've seen it first hand, a sea of tip ups out, and one group (using strictly mono) running constantly while the steel leader guys are wondering why they aren't getting anything.  You'll break off a lot, but that's the trade off.  Get to the flag as quickly as possible and set the hook.  Hook setter type tip ups work good with mono.  Try using straight 10# mono once, and see the results.  My 2 cents. 

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2019, 02:34 PM »
This right here.  Those using wire won't lose any, because they won't get many flags to begin with!  Sure, you'll catch pike, and some big ones too, but you won't get nearly as much action as you would with mono.  I've seen it first hand, a sea of tip ups out, and one group (using strictly mono) running constantly while the steel leader guys are wondering why they aren't getting anything.  You'll break off a lot, but that's the trade off.  Get to the flag as quickly as possible and set the hook.  Hook setter type tip ups work good with mono.  Try using straight 10# mono once, and see the results.  My 2 cents.
10# mono for pike? Uhhh yeah. I scratch my head on that one but like I said earlier in this post, to each their own.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2019, 03:00 PM »

Sorry neighbor, no disrespect but I'm callin'

on this...

Way too many other variables to credit the use of plastic leader to all that success. First and foremost it's location, location, location aka "hot hole syndrome", what kind of bait (species, size, condition), set high or low, got gas stink on yer hands, holes covered or no, I could name another half dozen at least that have no connection to whether your leader is wire or plastic. Just not buyin' it. I'm pretty much a strictly wire guy and never been significantly nor consistently outfished by plastic users. I have my times where I get to thrash the plastic users. Pretty much evens out.

I even play with plastic from time to time just to remind myself but it's more like 40 - 50#. 10# is just, well, never mind. 10#???

Oh yeah, here's your change...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2019, 03:31 PM »
C

Not a huge one by any stretch...36",13# on 13# nylon coated wire and #8 treble with a 10" sucker minnow through  a 6" hole. Other 5 guys that day? 0 hits on mono/fluoro leaders. Just sayin'.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Sorry neighbor, no disrespect but I'm callin'

on this...

Way too many other variables to credit the use of plastic leader to all that success. First and foremost it's location, location, location aka "hot hole syndrome", what kind of bait (species, size, condition), set high or low, got gas stink on yer hands, holes covered or no, I could name another half dozen at least that have no connection to whether your leader is wire or plastic. Just not buyin' it. I'm pretty much a strictly wire guy and never been significantly nor consistently outfished by plastic users. I have my times where I get to thrash the plastic users. Pretty much evens out.

I even play with plastic from time to time just to remind myself but it's more like 40 - 50#. 10# is just, well, never mind. 10#???

Oh yeah, here's your change...

I use 2 types of leaders 40lb power pro for live bait , live bait swims more and won't tire out as fast not fighting the wire stiffness. 10lb wire crimped for dead bait similar to a quick strike rig but I use #10 wide gap treble in red rigged head down at about 30 deg. angle . It all depends on location,location and depth for action I have proved this to many people over the years. I also proved that knowing how to hook set and play a pike  and get the head turn up thru the hole makes all the the difference . Most people that I see just RIP and pull like it's a race to get it top side. Most pike tire out after 4-6 runs. Use dacron main line it works like rubberband kind of like a rod tip. Use what ever leader you have confidence in. Location, location, location, location is the key for action Good Luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.