Author Topic: jigging rap techniques  (Read 17345 times)

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
jigging rap techniques
« on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Hey im trying the jigging rap this year, never had any sucess with it.. cant get the fish to commit. how does everyone work these things? :tipup:
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: jigging rap techniques
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Just like the instructions on the back of the package.  Try to make figure 8 swim patters.  The best way to practice is in a fish tank so you can see what the lure does and get a feel for it. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Icestalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:41 PM »
I have jigged with them too, varied depth's and I never caught many fish on them either.  I've always done best with a small silver jigging spoon tipped with a small minnow. Acme spoon or swedish pimple,weight depends on depth, and species I fishing for.

Offline jigpause

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:49 PM »
jigging raps work very well....but not sure the instrutions are a good guidline. lift fall pause mabey tiny vibrate. i rarely make mine swim in wide sweeps. i also smear them in liquid power bait.
one issue with a new lure is guys use it when their old faithfulls arent working because fish arent biting well.......so the lure already has a strike 1 against it.....and if the fish are off a aggressive rap is strike 2.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Slow it down, be subtle. Most I've seen having trouble with them get them moving faster than anything they'd do in open water. It's ~39* down there, fish are fairly well slowed down unless they're in a momentary hyper-aggressive mode. Make it look wounded/dying and easily vulnerable 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:09 PM »
You don't want to merely let it dive.  I suppose it's almost tightlining the lure.  It's almost like a pendelum effect.  Yeap, shaking them works too.  Sometimes a few light rod tap is enough.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:17 PM »
two things I try to remember..

1) always keep it moveing, even it is just a slight quiver
2) short hops work best 1-3 inches, work with your wrist not your arm

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:17 PM »
Yeah im actually a tipup guy. Since i started going after walleyes through the ice , 95-98 percent of my fish have been tipups. Thats fishing every night in Northern MN, averaging 2 fish a night. only a handful caught on jigging spoons. I have heard from many reliable anglers that jigging raps are the way to go and honestly, im in it  for the challange of mastering them while waiting for the flags to fly. Also i enjoy the fight on a rod and reel..i just find it odd that so many people do better with them than tipups and im the other way around.

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:19 PM »
thanks for all the tips guys.. iceshanty pretty much rules.. cant wait to get on the ice and try em out

Offline jigpause

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:13 PM »
i still prefer a hook like this with a 10inch tag of flouracarbon to a treble with a spot tail shiner.....fish it thump thump pause fast lift for active fish.......thump twitch long pause slow lift for tough fish

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:18 PM »
One thing to remember, they swim in circles and will really twist your line up. Take time to untwist your line.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:37 AM »
I've had tons of fish nibble or lightly bight on these things, but never actually caught one on the jigging rap.  I first used it last year, so this year I plan on perfecting the presentation and having fun catching fish on these lures.  I agree with the small lifts, pauses, and twitches.  Those seem to attract the most fish and engage them into biting.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:20 AM »
This is one of my fav pics from last season.. Northland puppet minnow, i like them more then the jiggin rap and so did this crappie that swallowed it hole

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Yea i used to work for northland so i have an overstock of puppet minnows... never tried one though.

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2010, 01:11 PM »
 Twitch it up 6" or so, let it swim back down then lightly jiggle to keep it moving and repeat.They work well as an attractor in deep water but seem to scare fish in shallow IMO. I personally like a #2  in fire tiger as my go to jigging rap for perch. Other colors and sizes have their place and time also. IMO you need to load the hooks up with spikes to the point you can't see the hooks at all. And change them out from time to time because the empty skins will hang on the hooks forever. Good luck jigging

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:27 PM »
i just lightly jig them or attach a hook and a minnow about a foot above it and let the minnow do the work.

Offline jigpause

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:45 PM »
try a slamo chubby darter.......not as aggressive and a better fish catcher ...imo

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:59 PM »
try a slamo chubby darter.......not as aggressive and a better fish catcher ...imo

I have to disagree, I like the darter, but the jigging rap is much more successful (in may case), and more of an all around bait. Given my choice I would go jiggin rap every time..

Offline jigpause

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:56 PM »
yup a person's confidence in a lure makes alot of difference....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:58 PM »
I see two Rattlin Rapala lures in that photo.  I've used them before, but got nothing.  I've been thinking of using them again this season.

Offline jigpause

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:10 PM »
I see two Rattlin Rapala lures in that photo.  I've used them before, but got nothing.  I've been thinking of using them again this season.

i keep them for the odd chance i go fishing for bull trout...they smack em pretty good

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:38 PM »
1/2 ouncers have taken some decent Northerns for me

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:44 PM »
I really like the jigging rap and it has been very successful for me.  The technique I use is same as IceJunky.  Use a barrel swivel 12 inches up to prevent line twist. Two things I would like to add...

1-when you are gently moving up ...and down.... always maintain contact with the jig.  What I mean is... always feel the weight of the lure.  This will give you a smooth swimming action, and you will feel the nibbles.

2-when you feel the nibbles, move the lure up (away) slowly... this gives the fish the impression "dinner" is running away.  And they will hit harder...  If they don't chase it... repeat your rhythm slower.

Let me know how it goes.
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:27 PM »
so far its going good. i have noticed though that the walleyes here seem to respond better to bigger jigging raps. #7 seems to be better than the rest.. which surprised me, but who knows.. i use 6 inch suckers on my tipups and that was a surprise to me when the oldtimer showed me that trick the first time,...tonight i marked 20-25 fish that would respond when i aggressivly jigged it but never got them to bite..

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2011, 04:24 PM »
What works one day does not always work another day. Experiment & let the fish tell you what they want.
On the 29th of Dec. (Lake Simcoe for perch) a pump-pump-pump (2'-3'), pause (about 30 secs.), wiggle-wiggle-wiggle, pause (about 30 secs.) & repeat seemed to be the best for me. Most hits were on the pause.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:46 AM »
Use em for whitefish sometimes.  We hit bottom and then swim it a couple of times before going to bottom again.  Get lots of bites with them, but its hard to land them from 50 ft of water.

Offline fishtrap21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2011, 12:09 PM »
when the fish are finicky I'll run a stinger witha the minnow head. Works wonders off the jiggin rap

Offline walley29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:28 AM »
I agree confidence in a lure: Jigging Rapala, Salmo Darter, Kastmaster, Swedish Pimple or Spanker all lures are very effecitive - they all depend on the mood of the fish. If the fish are feeding a Rapala triggers them quickly as do the Darters. I rip them in the day and get more suttle as the evening approaches. The new "glow" rapapa's are unbeatable as are the glow Salmo's. That's been my experience. Jim

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:15 PM »
I use jiggin raps 95% of the time... One thing I like to do is really dress up the bait. I use the entire minnow in 3 seperate chunks. I rip the head off the minnow and put it on the front hook, put the tail on the back hook, and i put a chunck of the torso on the bottom hook....This really "beefs" up the bait..try it out sometime! it works great!
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:29 PM »
That just made me think of a doctored frankenstein lure with sewn together fish parts.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.