Author Topic: no.8 cgi reel  (Read 1495 times)

Offline stimpyNEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
no.8 cgi reel
« on: Dec 18, 2016, 01:20 PM »
this reel IMHO is the worst reel i have ever used.cant say that i didnt give it a try i have been using it the last two years and have had nothing but problems with it,the free spool knob keeps falling off the drag is spongy and the free spool drag part is so touchy that if its not continously adjusted it rats nest city....

ill give it to anyone here if you pay shipping,if nobody claims it i got a big sledge hammer thats gonna kiss it
Its T shirt weather until you can actually die of hypothermia

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: no.8 cgi reel
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2016, 01:50 PM »
How much is shipping to 13045? I'll take it for parts if nothing else, RH or LH retrieve?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2016, 01:50 PM »
That's about the same impression I have of the one sitting in front of me. I won it this summer from a giveaway and I have already had knobs fall off just by playing with it in the house. Haven't even put line on it yet and I'm not impressed at all. Seems very similar to the eagle claw version I had, it was just as bad. Rather have a $2 plastic spinning reel.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2016, 05:01 PM »
I have one for sale, $25. Right hand retrieve.Bought new last season and only used a handful of times. No issues with the reel just went back to a spinning reel on that specific rod. Let me know...

Offline stimpyNEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2016, 05:33 PM »
How much is shipping to 13045? I'll take it for parts if nothing else, RH or LH retrieve?
LH retrieve...
$5 should cover it
PM me your address

Offline stimpyNEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2016, 06:00 PM »
That's about the same impression I have of the one sitting in front of me. I won it this summer from a giveaway and I have already had knobs fall off just by playing with it in the house. Haven't even put line on it yet and I'm not impressed at all. Seems very similar to the eagle claw version I had, it was just as bad. Rather have a $2 plastic spinning reel.
its a quick little reel when its works(not very often)got a couple mitchell spinning reels that i got on clearance for half the price thats twice the reel...never again will i drink the Koolaid

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2016, 07:55 PM »
I'll pay shipping or negotiate purchase on CGI's if you want to get rid of them.  Pm me price

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:00 PM »
That's strange.  I love mine.  I would buy a couple more if I had the money!

Offline guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:06 PM »
I got one last year at the end of season. Used it 7-8 times last season, and again today with no problems.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:41 AM »
If anyone has a CGI they don't want I'll take it PM me.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:28 AM »
I've got two thats will be going on three years this season. I've never had an issues with either of them. One O usein a Jaw Jacker and the other for jigging. I picked up a third for this season and paired it with the Snitch rod.

All mine are the RH style.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:56 PM »
I went out today for the first time this year and mine gave me problems. Before I started, I adjusted the free fall and made sure the spool knob was tight. But after a while, the line jumped off the spool. then the spool knob worked it self loose and the line wound around the shaft. Other than that it worked flawlessly. It was pretty windy, so maybe that had something to do with it. I may put it on a dead stick rod but for right now its on the shelf in the basement.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Used mine on the ice today, still dont like it. Heavy, feels "grindy" like there is no lube in it, and awkward to fish in pencil grip. Ill continue to use it until it costs me a fish, then its gone.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2016, 12:40 PM »
Well, I'm not ready to give up on mine just yet. This morning I stripped the old line off and filled with fly line backing, then finished off with 3# orange Suffix. When I took the spool off everything looked clean. What surprised me was the lack of grease on the gears. The free fall adjusts fine and for the most part the drag seems smooth. I may get some Loctite and put a little on the spool shaft threads and also the free spool cap. Both seem to work their way loose.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2016, 06:27 PM »
Used mine on the ice today, still dont like it. Heavy, feels "grindy" like there is no lube in it, and awkward to fish in pencil grip. Ill continue to use it until it costs me a fish, then its gone.
this is my exact take on this inline reel.drags sucks too.its either  on or off with barely any adjustment.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2016, 11:44 AM »
Well I took mine a part this morning and there mas no lube on any of the gears, so I remedied that! I also put a drop of silicone oil on the spool shaft. Didn't mess with the drag, as this has not been an issue. Now for an ops check on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.