Author Topic: Glen Elder  (Read 6804 times)

Offline Walleye_Hunter71

• IceShanty Rookie
Glen Elder
« on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:03 PM »
Realize this is not in Nebraska but, was curious if anyone has been to Glen Elder lately? Wondering how the ice is and if there is a decent bite going on? Debating on where to go saturday i am confident that i can find fish around here but, old man wants to go south.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
Re: Glen Elder
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:23 PM »
Realize this is not in Nebraska but, was curious if anyone has been to Glen Elder lately? Wondering how the ice is and if there is a decent bite going on? Debating on where to go saturday i am confident that i can find fish around here but, old man wants to go south.
What i HEARD was that after the last warm up what little ice they had was real sketchy!! IF they have ice like they did before the warm up the bite was very hot. id love to make it down there but dont wanna show up and not have ice....maybe ill take open water tackle too  ;D
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline KsIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:42 PM »
I've heard both, bad ice and good ice? Sometimes I think that there are false reports put out to keep people away? On the other hand I did hear about someone falling through the ice on Wednesday. I'm heading there in the early am Friday to see for myself.
"I've spent most of my life fishing.....the rest I've wasted. Lifes too short to only fish on weekends."

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:28 PM »
I had a few groups of guys stop by cabelas on there way back on Tuesday said they were throwing back 15" crappie for bigger ones and the ice at the time was 6". Buddies and I were going to head down after work but had to be back by 8pm longe drive for a few hours of fishing.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:33 PM »
Saw a picture of a pile of crappie today that I know came from Kansas this afternoon.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:48 PM »
well if there is safe ice there i might have to postpone my house remodeling/moving in and go sunday!!

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:08 AM »
I am going to give it a try tomorrow. I've only ice fished Glen Elder a few times west of the causeway but have no idea where to even start looking for the Crappies. Would appreciate a PM if anyone is willing to help or go with us. If the ice is not good, my backup plans are Kirwin, Keith Sebelius, Elwood and Sherman. Definitely going to hit some ice this weekend!

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:10 AM »
I am going to give it a try tomorrow. I've only ice fished Glen Elder a few times west of the causeway but have no idea where to even start looking for the Crappies. Would appreciate a PM if anyone is willing to help or go with us. If the ice is not good, my backup plans are Kirwin, Keith Sebelius, Elwood and Sherman. Definitely going to hit some ice this weekend!
id like some info as well! i might try it sunday if i get a chance

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:24 AM »
id like some info as well! i might try it sunday if i get a chance

I'll let you know what we find tomorrow. The weather does not look good for the ice. Mid 50's and windy :(

Offline NightEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:26 AM »

Do you think Kirwin is going to be fishable Saturday? Just talked to a guy who reported 4" on the North side yesterday. With todays weather in the upper 50's or lower 60's, I am thinking it won't be fishable. I would love to hear otherwise.

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Kansas DNR report -

REMINDER TO ALL ANGLERS!!! There is a new creel limit of 20 crappie/day at Glen Elder Reservoir, effective January 1, 2013. Make sure to spread the word that it is now illegal to possess more than 20 crappie each day!!!
Ice Conditions on 1/17/13: Anglers reported the ice was still 6 to 7 inches thick in most places west of the causeway on Wednesday (1/16), but there are many thin spots as well as evidenced by the 4 wheeler that went through yesterday. With three more days of warm temperatures and some wind forecasted this weekend, anglers should be extremely wary of heading out on the ice. Use extreme caution and always make sure you fish with someone nearby. You never know where that weak spot is so it's better to be safe than sorry.

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:19 PM »
Looks like its time to clean up the storage unit and get the boat ready.....After this weekend might just be able to get the boat back out  That would be awesome!!!!

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline KsIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:38 PM »
I went today, ice was good for the most part but there are definitely some sketchy spots! Fishing was very slow, I caught 1 nice crappie and lost another big one in the hole. Only saw 7 crappie caught all day! Did catch a few big whitebass and saw several more caught by people fishing around me. Everybody was talking about having lookers and no takers on their flashers. Toughest bite I've ever experienced!
"I've spent most of my life fishing.....the rest I've wasted. Lifes too short to only fish on weekends."

Offline Marmyshka man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2013, 04:36 PM »
Thinking about fishing Glen Elder tomorrow morning, I will be driving in from Manhattan can any one point me in the direction to the easiest access to the lake with ice? ??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ;D

THANX!!! :tipup:

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2013, 05:11 PM »
KIRWIN  ;)

Offline Marmyshka man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:02 PM »
How far is it from Manhattan? I just recently relocated from NJ so my sense of direction isn't very good. Went to the state web site it says its off K-9 highway ???It has no address to put in to my GPS....HELP PLEASE!!!! :o

THANX!! :tipup:

Offline KsIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:43 PM »
2 hours from Manhattan straight down highway 24, then its like the 3rd left in Cawker City. I sent you a pm.

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:02 PM »
we're looking at going saturday morning. Still fishable? Or would we be better served going to Kirwin? Thoughts?

Offline Lightning4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:39 PM »
I've heard Kirwin is doing well with nice Crappie.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:02 PM »
I've heard Kirwin is doing well with nice Crappie.
x2! just wish i had some time to make it down there!!  :-\

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:07 PM »
Yea it sounds like more crappies than a guy can handle down at Kerwin.. Going to try it next weekend hopfully.

Offline jigtwitcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Kirwin has a little better ice situation right now and maybe a little better crappie bite over glen elder right now, but in my opinion, the quality is alot better at the glen right now.  We had some nice whites over 15" mixed with some magnum crappies at glen elder two weeks ago.  Last week the numbers were alot higher at kirwin, but we sorted some little ones and never had a keeper white.

Offline Lightning4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:27 AM »
x2! just wish i had some time to make it down there!!  :-\

x2   ;D

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:15 AM »
x2   ;D

Agreed. Looks like the fam is making a last minute visit. Trip pushed to sunday, if at all...... :-\

Good luck to u guys!

Offline KsIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:50 AM »
I'm going to Glen Elder this Friday and Saturday, hopefully the bite is a little better this week than last week!!! ;D

Offline Gobluefne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:48 PM »
How thick is the ice at Kerwin?  I would love to fish Glen Elder, I had a blast there last spring and summer. 

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:26 AM »
I'm gonna head south and check out Glen later today. Anyone got any hints/tips where to start? Is the entire lake iced over or just certain areas? I've been looking on the KS GP website and it talked mainly about the area to the west of the causeway and I know that they have some GPS coords for certain area's. Are the coves on the north side and points iced over? Some of those area's looked pretty good on the map and gps coords for tree beds lookin pretty stellar as well.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline KsIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2013, 03:32 AM »
There is ice on most of the lake but the only ice thick enough to be on is West of the causeway. "Forkville" the area where the North and South forks of the Solomon meet is a great place to start but I did better a little farther West closer to the refuge line.Bait shop right on US24 by the lake has bait and a grill. Good luck! I'm leaving now to make the pre sunrise bite!! ;D

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2013, 03:34 AM »
Dang! You're leaving early! Good luck today and give us a report! ;) I'll be posting my report up here if I can catch any lol Thanks!!
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:21 AM »
I hate you both..... Stuck at work. Good luck tho!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.